Mower Axle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me on electric smokers. Black Friday Sale at Bass Pro Shops

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks

School me on electric smokers. Black Friday Sale at Bass Pro Shops

I received the ad for Bass Pro Shops Black Friday sale and they have a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker in there for $179. That's $150 off the normal price. I read some reviews and the old one was very poor, but the updated model for 2012 seemed to fix those issues. So then I read a bit more on some Bradley models and those seemed to get better reviews all the way around. But they also cost 4-500 dollars.

So my question here is 2 fold as I will not use this much.

1. Does anyone use an electric smoker? What brand? Recommendations?

2. Is it worth spending more money on one that is not on sale for very occasional use?

Here is a link to the one that will be on sale for $179 over Thanksgiving.
    Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smokehouse with Viewing Window | Bass Pro Shops

Thanks!
    Brian

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, CX 4x2 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 837 Posts
    I prefer to use real smoke from a real fire. I don't cook with gas or electric, but a real fire using wood or lump charcoal. The taste is sooo much better. Just my .000002 cents

BTW, I did have several friends who used electric smokers in Alaska to smoke their yearly catch of salmon. I'm not a fish fan at all, but their final product was usually very good.

Contradictory enough for ya? Sorry, but I wouldn't own one...
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting mild restoration

5. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The reason it appeals to me right now is the ability to set it and forget it. No need to regulate the temps or watch for a fire. I know its the easy way out but with young kids and a busy life, it sounds semi fun and easy. I could be wrong.
    Brian

6. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 837 Posts
    Like I said, I know lots of people who are very successful with them. It might be right up your alley.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting mild restoration

7. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    I have this one. I like it for chicken, sausage, or things with shorter smoking times. On things with longer required times like butts, or briskets I usually have to add 30-40% of the time that I calculate by weight for a non electric smoker. After the long(er) smoke time it still is just ok, not great.

I smoke with coals, propane and electricity and I prefer them in that order. I'm not saying don't buy it, but while it is convenient, it does take more overall time in my experience.
    2014 2032r - iMatch 2.0 - H130 - Artillian Forks 42" & 24" - RC2048 - BB2048L - Caroni FL1200 - Piranha Tooth Bar - Ratchet Rake - Ballast Box - Ken's bolt on hooks - Owner's Edition Hat

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

-Dan

8. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    I was facing the same decision earlier this year. I also needed a "grill" at the same time. I had a Brinkman charcoal smoker/grill. I was never pleased with it. As you mentioned, regulating temps for smoking was a lost cause. I was looking at komodo grills (a la Big Green Egg). I ended up going extreme. I followed my father's lead and bought a Traeger. I have the Lil' Tex Elite. Barbecue (BBQ) Grills & Smokers | Traeger Wood Pellet Grills To me, it is a great compromise. The heat source is 100% wood. Even grilling is on wood. Smoking is great because I can maintain a consistent temperature for many hours without adding any fuel or manually adjusting anything. The catch, unfortunately is the price. The only secret I can offer there is that they do roadshows at Costco. My local Costco has had 2 roadshows this year.

I will also add, I have had a couple issues with mine. I have called Traeger several times for support. Their support model is amazing. They are available 7 days a week. They have been quick to address my issues. And apparently you can even call the tech line for cooking help.

As I said, this is not a $177 smoker. But, I have to admit, I still can't get over the wood smoke smell. I have cooked bacon on it. I have not ruined anything yet.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, and 62C MMM

9. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-24-2014 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks

Works great

I have the 30" without window. Never had any problems other than starting in cold weather which is fixed by using a hair dryer for a minute or so. Does brisket, chicken, turkey and Boston butt great. Ribs only so so. Easy to use. Adding wood is a breeze. A friend has the window model which gets smoked up and is useless to see through. If you can save money forget the window. Smoked turkey is tender and flavor full. Inject some seasoning and any flavor you like. Easy to control the amount of smoke. Too much adds a lot of creasote and can make you sick. Less of a problem with this unit. Buy it and enjoy. Add a remote meat thermometer to insure internal temp and get high quality meat. I've got 300 hours on mine and no problems. Not bad for $130

10. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have researched all the ideas from here and took in everyone opinion. Thanks for everything!

I have a hard time since this started with a simple, hey thats cheap and would be fun thing and could easily turn into a 800 dollar adventure.

I am unsure of whats going to happen, but i am leaning twords cheap and seeing if I like it and how much I use it. If I have little invested, it might give me a better idea on what I want next, if anything.
    Brian

11. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have researched all the ideas from here and took in everyone opinion. Thanks for everything!

I have a hard time since this started with a simple, hey thats cheap and would be fun thing and could easily turn into a 800 dollar adventure.

I am unsure of whats going to happen, but i am leaning twords cheap and seeing if I like it and how much I use it. If I have little invested, it might give me a better idea on what I want next, if anything.
    Good luck Brian. I will add one more thought to your plan. I took your approach the first time. I bought the Brinkmann Charcoal fired smoker for only $30! I never managed to make anything on that smoker that was worth doing a second time. It does not sounds like you are going that cheap. If it is too much work, you are not likely to stick with it unless you are really devoted to the art.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, and 62C MMM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast