KennyD's Bucket Hooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x2 Gator transmission

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks

4x2 Gator transmission

Hey all. I have an '01 4x2 that I bought used a couple of months ago. Since I bought it, it has been tricky to get into forward. It would usually go in just fine, but occasionally would not go all the way into gear, almost like trying to shift a manual transmission car without pushing the clutch all the way down. When you applied throttle, the shift lever would jump up and you could hear gears grinding. For a while, that was a rare occurrence. I checked all the linkages, etc. Over the last week or so, the problem has gotten a bit worse and I'd like to fix it. Is this a common problem, perhaps with a relatively easy fix that someone could point me to? That's rarely my luck. Is there a specific adjustment procedure for the shift linkage? I'd like to make sure I have that right, just to eliminate it as a potential issue.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Being that its new to you, do you know when the last trans fluid change was? Is the fluid level correct?

My XUV can be the same way if you do not put it all the way in gear! It can also be a pain to **** around between gears. Definitely not a smooth gear box.
    Brian

Stop by and Talk Tools at WorkShopAddict

Follow the adventures of Farmgirl19......

We removed our Blog from the forum and placed it at JDTechTalk.com

Looking for tools at a great price? Check out the GTT Tool Store.

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/117487.png

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    02-17-2014 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    When I got my 4x2 it would grind and go into gear really hard. The owner I got it from said to just jam into gear. Talked to my JD dealer about it. he told me the idle has to be as low as you can get w/o it stalling. Turned it down quite a bit, maybe around 400 to 500 rpms. Mine is a little cold blooded, when the temp goes down it likes to stall. But it goes into gear a lot easier, and w/o grinding. I'm thinking a carb rebuild is in the future for me.

5. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Fluid level was correct, not sure when the last fluid change was. I believe it was relatively recent, as the previous owner said he had just done some transmission work on it. Since I bought it, I've found several things that needed to be finished up from their transmission job, lots of loose bolts and the brake linkage on one side was missing some parts. Got all that right now, but I don't know how much faith to put in the work they did inside the transmission.

In any case, I disconnected the shift linkage from the transmission and found that the transmission will not go completely into forward gear. There's a shift collar and some detents inside that are able to cause this issue. I pulled the transmission out this morning, it's draining right now. Planning to open it up here in a bit and see what's going on.

6. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    If you get a chance, Please take some pictures.
    Brian

Stop by and Talk Tools at WorkShopAddict

Follow the adventures of Farmgirl19......

We removed our Blog from the forum and placed it at JDTechTalk.com

Looking for tools at a great price? Check out the GTT Tool Store.

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/117487.png

7. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, the transmission is in pieces. Once I got inside, I found the teeth on one side of the shift collar are noticeably worn, as is the shift block that rides on the shift collar and connects it to the linkage that comes down through the top of the case. I plan to order parts with the dealer on Monday.

And now, for some pictures. I didn't get any of the removal, but it's fairly simple. Shift and brake linkage, differential lock cable, neutral safety switch wires, the belt, the bracket to the engine, and four mounting bolts.

Transmission out.

Transmission.

Transmission open.

Input shaft with shift collar.

Input shaft, disassembled. You can see the two detent balls and the spring in this one. They go underneath the shift collar.

Damaged teeth on collar. Might be tough to see, but the teeth are worn down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

RandyM (01-21-2012)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I picked up the parts today. I got a new shift collar, shift collar block, the little detent balls and spring that go beneath it, and two gallons of Hyguard. Hopefully I can get it reassembled tomorrow.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

'01 5320 MFWD, 541SL loader with JD Global QA

'01 Gator 4x2.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I started on the Gator this afternoon. As you can see, the old shift collar was very worn.

That shift collar slides onto the input shaft. There is a hole drilled completely through the shaft that is under the collar when the collar is installed. That hole is where the two detent balls and the spring go.

Reassembled. I replaced the detent balls and spring as well. The old ones felt okay, but I figured if I was going that far into it, it was worth spending the extra $4.00 to know it was all new.

That's the input shaft assembly. If you look at the shift collar, there is a groove on the left side. That's where the shift block rides. The block is what pushes the shift collar into position. As you can see, the old one was worn significantly.

I worked on it for about an hour tonight, after I wrapped up some other projects. I could've finished, but the NHL All Stars skills competition was about to start. In addition to reassembling the input shaft, I replaced the seal in the case where the shaft comes through and the large drive pulley attaches. I got the shaft assembly installed with the drive chain. All I need to do to finish up is put the two case halves together and put it back in. Before I drop it back in I'd like to change the engine oil. It's a lot easier to get to the drain plug with the transmission out.

Right now, it looks like this.

-Blake

Your mileage may vary.

'01 5320 MFWD, 541SL loader with JD Global QA

'01 Gator 4x2.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 797 Posts
    Good post. Thanks for the update!
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting mild restoration

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    02-17-2014 @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    Great pics, might have to do this to mine soon. Seems to be pretty straight forward replacement. Hope it corrects the problem for you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast