Mutton Power Equipment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2040 hydraulics

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks

2040 hydraulics

in using 2040 brush hogging relatively light material hydraulic oil and transmission housing became very hot. power steering was not affected however brakes became low peddle which would not return without assistance. oil pump is external. operation of three point hitch up down range can be accomplished within down side of lever, that is complete lever range is not needed for complete range of lift arms. whats going on?

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks

Welcome to DT!

Hopefully someone can help shortly
    -John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 AWS w/60" MMM
    -John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Bolt on Grab Hooks are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 06:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    Was the rockshaft (three point hitch) working properly before the heat problem? Does the rockshaft leak down when engine is off? Have you confirmed oil level and/or checked filters and suction screen? I am suspecting a leak in the rockshaft cylinder. Need more info.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

5. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

2040 hydraulics

kevin, thanks for reply. have only owned tractor for short time using most as loader. once before while brush hogging ran into same problem. changed hydraulic oil (which was milky) and installed new filter. do you think that rockshaft controll lever being out of adjustment could also be part of problem or that rockshaft speed control (adjustment beneath seat top of transmission) which is finger loose could be another part. to answer whether rockshaft will hold position with tractor not running i can not answer at this time but will assume is suppose to. oil level is in operating range.

6. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The 2040 hydraulic system is notoriously weak. Especially in heavy loader applications. Are there any strange pump noises? This may indicate a weak transmission pump, which acts as a charge pump for the main pump that is driven from the front of the engine. Was the milky oil a result of air or water in the system? This can be determined by taking a sample of the milky fluid and allowing it to settle for an hour or so. Water can, also, be detected by placing a few drops of oil on a HOT skillet. Water contaminated oil will "crackle". Good oil will not. This drawing will give you an idea of what's going on.

2040 hydraulics-2040hydraulic.jpg
    Thanks,
    Kevin

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

7. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

reply to kevin

Kevin, Again thanks for info. Today adjusted rockshaft settings per IT manual (ie negative stop screw, load adjustment screw, rockshaft lever neutral setting). Pre adjustment settings appeared to be incorrect. I believe milkiness of oil was due to water from cracked and dished gear selector cups. Since replacing oil appears fine with no indications of foam or air bubbles. Although I have not field tested new adjustments idling for prolong period 30 min. and raising/lowering rockshaft did produce heat along transmission case adjacent oil dip stick. I would be interested to know what an acceptable hydraulic oil temperature is. In veiwing the diagram you sent, although I had no trouble locating the hydraulic aux. oil tank located near radiator I have yet to find the oil cooler in finding no hydraulic lines go to main radiator. Both rockshaft and loader creep downward when tractor is off. With tractor not running and rockshaft is lowered per control lever a hydraulic whine can clearly be heard while running no suspicious noises. With new settings rockshaft control lever has complete quadrant function in load setting D however put in lower settings DL thru L complete function of rockshaft can be accomplished in upper quarter of quadrant. I set rockshaft rate of fall lever by turning in till I heard a hydraulic whine than backed of two turns. Any response would again be greatly appreciated 2040

8. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    2040: I can answer this:
    I would be interested to know what an acceptable hydraulic oil temperature is.
    100* above ambient temperature is considered perfectly normal. So if it's 80* outside you could expect to see oil temps of 180* if working the machine hard.
    -John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

9. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

reply to kennyd

kennyd, thanks for info now i just have to find that meat thermometer and also realized i don't know how to spell therometer amoungst many many other words. 2040

10. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2040 View Post
    kennyd, thanks for info now i just have to find that meat thermometer and also realized i don't know how to spell therometer amoungst many many other words. 2040
    No problem, this is not a spelling bee

Just a note however, you can hit the "reply with quote" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote.
    -John Deere 4110HST

11. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It sounds like you are good to go. The rockshaft function is normal. D=Depth control; L=load control. You will want to operate in "D". "D" will maintain a set implement depth or height. "L" will raise or lower the rockshaft to maintain a constant load on the engine while performing tillage operations. "DL", essentially, halves the effect of both functions. Kenny is, absolutely, correct on temperature. 140 F is usually considered minimum operating temp. 200 plus is not unheard of in really tough conditions. The oil cooler is the little radiator bolted to the side of the radiator.

2040 hydraulics-2040radiator.jpg
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast