Green Tractor Talk banner

62D2 Gearbox

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  keelhauled 
#1 ·
I was thinking of changing the gear oil in my mower deck gearbox, only to find out JD does not have the gasket listed with a part number!!:banghead: Are you kidding me?! I guess they figure there wouldn't be any reason whatsoever to take the top cover off.:nunu: Really! On second thought, maybe I should just leave well enough alone. It's not leaking anywhere, and there is only 260 hours on the tractor. I just thought fresh gear oil would be nice. Oh well, if it ever does have to come off, I guess using some sort of "liquid gasket" will have to suffice. Seems there is always something they (JD) do that makes you shake your head.

#2 ·
There is not a pipe plug? When I did mine I just took the gearbox of the deck to drain and refill.

#3 ·
Hiya,

Ya, do what Kenny did, that's what I did. Loosen the belt, pop the drive shaft off and take the whole plate off to get the gearbox off. Drain that sucker, it takes a whopping 4 Oz of oil, the manual says change every 500 hours, I did mine at 30 and used Amsoil Severe Gear.

Here's what mine looked like on my 62D: A friendly reminder to service those tiny gearboxes

We figured out that the moisture was from him pressure washing it IIRC.

Tom

Reactions: ChrisR and BigJim55
#4 ·
I know about the plug. I wanted to thoroughly clean it out before I put the new in.

#5 ·
I have not had one of these in particular apart, but often gear lash and bearing clearance is set by spacing these types of covers. In the industrial field I have worked on many right angle drives that utilize what are sometimes called onion skin gaskets due to their extremely thin cross sections. It may well be that the cover in question does not space anything critical and liquid gasket is correct, but gander carefully if you do remove the cover.

#6 ·
I'm just going to leave well enough alone.:)

#7 ·
Hiya,

that little hamster sized 90 degree gearbox is not a serviceable item and it goes for about $600 bucks. I would take it off the deck still attached to the mounting plate, pull the side plug and drain it, then refill with synthetic.

Reactions: BigJim55
#8 ·
I usually remove the gear case vent and then drain the lube with my air powered Mityvac 7300 extractor. Then refill to the correct level using synthetic GL5 80-90 lube. Annual service for peace of mind.

In Tom's case I happened to wash the deck after putting it away for the season. We suspect that a bit of water entered through the gear case vent and caused the contamination issue.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.