Green Tractor Talk banner

Choosing the 'Best' Tiller for your Compact Tractor

8K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Yank 
#1 ·
We see lots of questions and discussion here about tillers. I decided to summarize my thoughts on this topic in web post.

Everyone who has a tiller seems to love it, no matter the details, so this might be a waste of effort.

Choose the Right Tiller for Your Compact Tractor - Tractor Time with Tim

We have a video coming out later today on the same topic. I'll post it here when it goes live @3pm. (Christy is still working through the details :) )

If you see anything I have missed, please let me know. I forgot the 'reverse rotation' discussion in the video, but it is included in the website.
Also, I'm happy to include some different opinions in this piece, as it is intended to help potential tiller buyers to make a good decision.

There is no sponsorship in the video or post. Ideas and opinions are all my own (and some gathered from you guys)...and worth a few cents less than what you pay for them :laugh:

Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking forward to your video...

Side question do you know why Tarter/Countryline keep telling people not to use the yellow unit but to buy the red one?

I have talked to people on here with 1025 and they said they had no issues at all with the yellow.

Thanks
:greentractorride:

#3 ·
Side question do you know why Tarter/Countryline keep telling people not to use the yellow unit but to buy the red one?

I have talked to people on here with 1025 and they said they had no issues at all with the yellow.

Thanks
:greentractorride:
Do you mean the 'orange' one?
In the case of King Kutter, the 4' yellow one is 'offset'. This isn't perfect for sub-compact tractors,as it makes it harder to till out the left tire track. ...but like everything else, folks don't complain. They love whatever tiller they buy.

#4 ·
Awesome topic, looking forward to the video!

#6 ·
Great write up Tim, and I agree with pretty much everything, even the shear bolt/slip clutch vs. 25 hp tractors. Or the way I see it, I put a slip clutch on my rotary cutter simply because they can be adjusted and I really don't believe a tractor with 18 pto hp has enough to snap a shear bolt. But it was a really good read for anyone interested in purchasing a tiller.:good2:

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55
#8 ·
IMHO, talking about tillers without talking about soil tilth is like,,,
buying a car without wheels,,,

you can do it, but, most people really need wheels with a car,,

Tilth is the reason most farmers quit using a moldboard plow,, that plow destroys tilth
the rototiller is even more destructive of tilth,,

The rototiller can be great, if used correctly.
My next door neighbor purchased a Kubota, and his package included a tiller.

He tilled his garden plot a half dozen times before planting,,
after just two or three years of that, the soil literally looked like a brick when it dried.

That was over a decade ago, the spot still will not even grow grass.
Before he got that tiller, he had a garden in that spot.
The only tilling was done with a Mantis tiller,, and he had a nice garden.

Someday I may buy a tiller due to my age,,
but, if I do own one,, it will be used minimally,,tilth is too important,,,:flag_of_truce:

Rant over!! :laugh:

#9 ·
I can attest to a tilth issue though not related to tillers - I’ve seen it first hand.

When I was an equipment operator instructor for the state we had a Gradall field. Day after day - week after week - year after year we had the Gradalls digging in the same spots. The soil became absolute soup when wet and like a brick when dry. The students couldn’t learn anything properly because of this.

When we suggested to the big wheels that we needed new dirt brought in they thought we were nuts.

So yes - over tilling or digging can cause a big problem - one you certainly don’t want for a vegetable garden.

#13 ·
I started with 1", or less, of topsoil over solid clay and rock. A tiller is a necessity for me to incorporate organic matter into the garden plot and after 6 years it's starting to come along. I run the subsoiler through it then till in compost and what ever else I can find that will break down and aerate the soil.

I selected my Collari 48" tiller because it was $400 on Craigslist. :laugh: I'd like to have something wider to cover the rear wheels, but I can live with what I have for my 1000 sqft garden and other occasional tilling duties.

#18 · (Edited)
Never a bad tiller? When is too cheap a reason for concern?

Great video, thanks!

I've just upgrade to an x739 and have been researching tillers. Was looking at the Country Line 48". Just missed the 15% off sale at Tractor Supply the other day, plus I can drive down to Delaware and save tax, a win win.

I've just run across another company out of New Jersey. 3 Point Tiller that sells the Cosmo brand. They have a UL48 model for $1,399 shipping included or you can pick it up and save another $200 (but then pay a little tax). Anyone have any experience with Cosmo? I know you said you can't really go wrong with any tiller but when the price gets too good you have to raise and eyebrow; that's where forums like this come into play, who's got one?

https://www.3pointtiller.com/3-point-tillers

Just looked at the manual and they are made in India; not a good thing, but not a bad thing, just today's reality.

#23 · (Edited)
Great video, thanks!

I've just upgrade to an x739 and have been researching tillers. Was looking at the Country Line 48". Just missed the 15% off sale at Tractor Supply the other day, plus I can drive down to Delaware and save tax, a win win.

I've just run across another company out of New Jersey. 3 Point Tiller that sells the Cosmo brand. They have a UL48 model for $1,399 shipping included or you can pick it up and save another $200 (but then pay a little tax). Anyone have any experience with Cosmo? I know you said you can't really go wrong with any tiller but when the price gets too good you have to raise and eyebrow; that's where forums like this come into play, who's got one?

https://www.3pointtiller.com/3-point-tillers

Just looked at the manual and they are made in India; not a good thing, but not a bad thing, just today's reality.
Never heard of this brand but from the looks of it you can't go wrong. Looking at it, it has all the things you want in a tiller except reverse if you were looking for one of them. My tiller as far as I can tell is made in Italy so I can't say anything about made outside of the USA. I'd buy it if I was in the market and the price beat everyone else. There is just some things on a budget that you have to over look. I buy USA if at all possible but a budget only goes so far on some things and this tiller looks well made.

#20 ·
Did not know that, thanks for the info. :good2:

Reactions: Levi and 636mullet
#25 ·
I have a Frontier 65 inch tiller. It’s made by Maschio or something like that. Made in Italy also. Only item I regret buying. Should have bought a KK gear drive and saved 50 percent.:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.