Green Tractor Talk banner

Hillbilly Fork Lift

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  FredHickory 
#1 ·
While I would love to have a set of forks for the 1025, other things have priority right now. That doesn't mean that I don't need a set of forks.....

Of course that pile of lumber is in Momma's way again. I'll put it way out this time. Just didn't want to manhandle those 5/8 plywood sheets again.

I saw a post a while back where they had wedged 4x4's in the bucket for forks. Grabbed the saw, experimented a bit with the dimensions and angles and wedged some 2x4's in the bucket.

"Forks" are about 40" long from the edge of the bucket. Some cross bracing and a small sledge hammer..done. A little hillbilly, but sure got the job done. At 40" the 2x4 will hold my 230#. Nice thing too is that the load is at the bucket sides and right under the support points so I think it would be tough to tear up the bucket. The wood would fail long before the bucket.

In a pinch, it worked out great for me.

Grass Tree Plant community Plant Wood
Table Bench Wood Furniture Grass
Grass Vehicle Plant Lawn Tractor
Grass Tree Vehicle Wood Table
Grass Tree Plant Wood Soil
Grass Vehicle Trailer Lawn Plant

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice, as you said, 'in a pinch'. As you'll find out, if you haven't noticed already, 40" out front of your bucket feels like 'a big stick'. And the further out from the bucket pivot point you go the more your total load capacity and height of lift are reduce. You'll also need ballast on the rear, I leave my box blade or 647 tiller on the back, plus I have rear wheel weights (388#). I have a set on clamp-on forks. For doing what you're doing, they work great. Where I ran into issues was when dumping a load of brush onto an exiting pile. I realized that it's better accomplished by dumping next to it and them pushing :greentractorride: into the existing pile.

Hope that's clear, nice job. . . . . :good2:

#4 ·
Understand on the Ballast. I keep my box blade with 4x42# weights on it or my carry all with probably 80# plus at the back.

I did notice a lot of porpoising when I hit even small bumps, especially when I had 7-8 sheets of plywood out front. Low and slow and it worked out fine.

#6 · (Edited)
Vehicle

Yep, slow and easy. I love how much brush I can carry at one time.
Tree Plant Farm Vehicle Shrub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
View attachment 45971
Yep, slow and easy. I love how much brush I can carry at one time.
View attachment 45972

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What brand are yours and will they fit a standard bucket lip?

I see Titan clamp on forks but that name just makes me want to spit up in my mouth but something like this would be easy to produce repeatedly. I don't have any hooks on my bucket yet for using chains. I only need forks a couple times a year so these seem like would be a space saver and money saved if can truly carry 500-1000lb pallets.

#9 · (Edited)
That is nice, Cheap ,but gets the job done with out breaking the ban. :bigthumb:

Man I could have used that today needed to carry 5 sheets of OSB board down around the house , or last evening carrying a sheet of new OSB about 500' ... To lazy or contrary or in to much of a hurry to get the trailer . :dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.