KennyD's Bucket Hooks

Thread: 1957 Model 60 John Deere+Gyramor 207

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-24-2014 @ 05:31 AM
    Thanks

1957 Model 60 John Deere+Gyramor 207

Hey ya'll,
    I'm new to this forum so please excuse any in-formalities. So the problem I'm having is that the lifter cylinder on my gyramor 207 isn't holding pressure. Every time I raise the unit, the pressure will release and the unit will keep dropping. The lifter cylinder did have a bad gasket that I had replaced at the local John Deere shop, but even though it is no longer leaking, the unit still won't hold pressure. So I don't know if its a problem with just the lifter cylinder or an issue with the PTO on the tractor. I would go back to the John Deere shop, but I have been calling them for two weeks and they keep putting it off. Any suggestions or hints would be great. Thanks. I'll have a picture of the lifter cylinder attached. More pictures upon request.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1957 Model 60 John Deere+Gyramor 207-cimg5556.jpg  

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 955 Posts

Welcome to GTT!

Do you have another implement with hydraulics that you can hook up? This way we can determine if it's the PowerTrol or the hydraulic cylinder.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting mild restoration

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

yakasaka (08-19-2012)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I do not unfortunately. But I will say that the implement used to yank right up whenever I engaged the lift before the leak, now it lets out a loud screech, slowly crawls back up, and just slowly drops back down when I let go of the lever. So I'm starting to wonder if it might just be the Power-Trol thats culprit. Could it possibly be air in the system? I'm not familiar with these systems so please forgive any ridiculous questions.

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not an expert by any means on the PowerTrol. I own one, but I've never nun it. My tractor hasn't run in over 15 years. So take my advice with several grains of salt.

I would check the oil level in the resivior, check to make sure the quick connections are fully seated, the hydraulic pump has a knob to turn it on or off - make sure it's on. Where's the noise coming from? The PowerTrol? It might be the relief valve opening due to low flow such as a poor connection.

Hopefully you'll find the culprit soon. We have several Popper guys on the forum. Maybe one will stop by soon and ad some good information.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh no worries, you've offered great advice. Yeah, i've gone through all those. These two machines are my babies so I go through certain steps before i start running them. The connections are always held in tight. I give them a small tug after I lock them in. I always switch the gear on before I crank the tractor and I know for sure it was on. The reservoir is almost filled the brim. I refilled it after the leak. I put probably a good two quarts of 30w oil in there. And yeah, the sound was coming from the power-trol. Definitely a sound I'm not used to hearing from it. It was just like the sound you hear from a bad powersteering pump in a car.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You can try removing the hoses from the cylinder, put them in a bucket, then briefly try the PowerTrol. If the flow looks good and there is no noise, then it's the cylinder. If you get the same results as before, then you might have to dig into the PowerTrol unit. It's possible that one of the hoses collapsed in on itself. I've seen this a number of times and can be a bear to troubleshoot.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's some great advice. Thanks you so much. I'll definitely try that out tomorrow.