Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Mounting Hooks and/or Shackle Mounts on a Heavy Duty Bucket

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,523 Posts

Mounting Hooks and/or Shackle Mounts on a Heavy Duty Bucket

The following was sent so me by Bob, AKA netsurf1 who was having trouble posting pictures-so he asked me to post this for him.

Disclaimer: KBOGH does not authorized or approve of this method, but it is an option if you have the technical ability to do it this way and fully understand the risk's involved. We still recommended welding hooks on if you have a heavy duty bucket that has the double-walled top section.

All text and pictures from this point forward is Bob's from emails he sent me:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

I received my 2012 JD 3320 a couple of days ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	944.6 KB 
ID:	8897

I fabricated stainless steel spacers 30 mm long. These spacers keep the two metal plates from compressing toward each other when grab hook hardware is tightened.

Name:	Bob 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	765.4 KB 
ID:	8898

I purchased some of your grab hooks and shackle eyes. I have a 300CX loader with the heavy duty bucket (double thickness at top of bucket). I marked and drilled 1/2 inch diameter holes through both pieces of metal at the top of the bucket. I then increased each hole diameter in the top plate to 11/16 inch.

Name:	Bob 3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	666.6 KB 
ID:	8899

I installed the spacers. The spacer rests on the bottom plate. The top of the spacer is flush or even with the top of the top plate.

Name:	Bob 4.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	740.1 KB 
ID:	8900

I then installed your grab hooks, shackle eyes, and backing plates. I used silicone RTV between all mating surfaces to prevent water from getting between the metal plates. I used 1/2 inch X 13 UNC 316 Stainless Bolts (3 inches long), belleville washers, flat washers, and nuts. Care must be taken to keep your drill perpendicular to the metal plates while drilling or use a magnetic base drill to insure you are keeping the drill straight.

Name:	Bob 5.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	549.4 KB 
ID:	8901 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob 6.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	819.7 KB 
ID:	8902 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob 7.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	733.7 KB 
ID:	8903 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob 8.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	926.1 KB 
ID:	8904

I would recommend your products to anyone looking for high quality grab hooks. Your service and speed of delivery were excellent, also. If my installation does not prove strong enough in the future, I can weld the grab hooks on, which is a nice feature of your grab hooks. I believe they would perform great welded or bolted to the loader bucket.
    -John Deere 4110HST TLB
    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 AWS w/60" MMM

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

KE8LW (11-24-2016), PaDave (08-24-2013)

3. # ADS
    GTT News

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    04-15-2016 @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Ken, thanks for offering quality products and service as well as your assistance in posting this information.
    timmarks likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to netsurfr1 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (06-02-2012)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-13-2014 @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    Very nice install, they are a great upgrade, I love mine, as it makes the bucket able to do so much more work. Except for maybe the cost, I don't know why JD does not include them with their buckets!
    JD 2520, R4 Tires, 62D MMM, 200CX FEL w/61" bucket, JD I-Match, Ballast Box w/Hitch & 4" steel casters, Frontier RB1060L Blade, Frontier RR1072 Rake, Frontier Pallet Forks, Hardtop Canopy, ROPS Brushguard Kit, Aux Forward lights w/ Artillian glare shields, Rear work light, Rear wheel weights, JD Rec. Hitch w/Ball & Clevis draw bar, 3pt Carryall, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, & Bolt-On Clevis Blocks.

1959 Chevy Apache V8 Pickup being resto-moded

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 59ApacheDriver View Post
    Except for maybe the cost, I don't know why JD does not include them with their buckets!
    I can answer that with one word:

Liability

No OEM that I know of offers hooks, not even the big boys like Caterpillar or Case.
    -John Deere 4110HST TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.

#BoltOnHooks

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I can answer that with one word:

Liability

No OEM that I know of offers hooks, not even the big boys like Caterpillar or Case.
    Kenny is correct about liability. You can how ever get OSHA approved lifting hooks on the newer backhoes and excavators, but as in any lifting device from hooks to rigging, they use a 3x safty factor meaning if you are lifting 100lbs, the rigging and lifting devices have to be rated for 300lbs. If you are using man lifts and baskets it is a 5x safty factor.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-12-2016 @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    My chain is rated for 4000+ lbs, and my FEL will only lift a little over 1000, so I'm good!
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 646 Posts
    For anyone who may be installing hooks on JD HD buckets, as Kenny states in his post above, bushings are required to bridge the space between the top upper and lower edges.

When I installed Kenny's hooks on my 61" HD bucket I fabricated bushings @ 1 5/32" long from 3/8" I.D. black pipe. I cut them to size using a Rigid pipe cutter and drilled the top bucket hole @ 5/8" diameter which allows the bushings to drop right in. The 3/8" pipe I.D. is actually a close 1/2" so I ran a tapered reamer through each bushing to size them for the bolts. I sprayed everything with Boeshield T9 to prevent rust. Dropped the bushings in from the top and used 1/2" Grade 8 bolts, washers and prevailing torque nuts to complete the installation.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader
    61" HD Bucket, Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2320
    R4's, H130 Loader, 53" Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    MCS Powerflow & Tri-Bagger
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    47 Snowblower, Super HeavyHitch
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-01-2015), Kennyd (03-01-2015)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-13-2017 @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    I guess I am confused on how these bushings are being used. For my installation I just mounted the hooks on top and the eyes underneath so that they were sandwiching the top of the bucket. It is far stronger than what my bucket can lift. When installing I opted to put them in line with the arms of the loader. It has worked well for most everything. I do wish I had one in the center for lifting a single point item though as I have a tendency to lift one side of the tractor otherwise.
    Last edited by KD7CAO; 03-01-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    I guess I am confused on how these bushings are being used. For my installation I just mounted the hooks on top and the eyes underneath so that they were sandwiching the top of the bucket. It is far stronger than what my bucket can lift. When installing I opted to put them in line with the arms of the loader. It has worked well for most everything. I do wish I had one in the center for lifting a single point item though as I have a tendency to lift one side of the tractor otherwise.
    Please review the pictures in the first post, and this text from the FAQ page on the website:

Q: What if the top of my bucket is double-walled?
    A #1: Some heavy duty buckets have a double wall construction on the top, and bolting hooks to them could damage the bucket by compressing the wall’s together, and you would not be able to properly torque the bolts. If you have this type of bucket construction, then these hooks may not be the best option and you should consider having the hooks welded on.

In summery, KBOGH/BoltOnHooks LLC does not recommend or endorse the use of the bolt on products for these heavy duty, double walled style buckets.
    A #2: One customer, Bob from IN recently did an install on his 3320/300cx/HD Bucket with custom made spacers. You can read the details here on the GreenTractorTalk forum. Bob knew the potential issues and assumed all responsibly in this application. We cannot offer this solution due to the difference's in the buckets.
    Your 1 series does not have this "double walled" bucket, so no bushings are required. Oh, and we have plenty of everything in stock
    KE8LW likes this.
    -John Deere 4110HST TLB

#BoltOnHooks

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    05-13-2017 @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    KennyD I had reviewed the pics but it still was not making sense... so on the double walled buckets I assume their is an air gap between the plates and thus the need for the bushings? Most that I have seen the two plates are tight to each other and welded making one much thicker plate.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast