Green Tractor Talk banner

Puzzle; mechanical, electric or recycle dead tractor?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  riordan.andrew 
#1 ·
2005, 790 diesel died while operating.

Headlights blew, then taillights, drove in the dark for a minute or two before eventual fail. At which point I panicked and added diesel fuel additive.

Would crank after died, but not start. Some thought gel fuel, but it had been running/operating for 2-4 hours. After this time, we tried jumping with no avail and added diesel 911 (to permiate through the system).

Subsequently, I identified that fuze for headlight, taillight and more importantly fuse for fuel pump had blown. Now, it's dry locked right? In reading online JD maintenance manual the tractor has a self bleeding system, just crank it over for a while. Kept trying that, no luck.

In keeping with gel fuel or dry locked, I removed fuel filter and added diesel 911 plus new diesel fuel (approx 50/50). New ground wire installed to upper sheet metal at rear of battery compartment (which also holding radiator engine bay side and air box bracket/arm on battery bay side). Tried to start while jumping and after heating oil pan and having battery on maitainer. No luck, didn't crank.

Checked power to starter from battery and yes it has power. Tried using multimeter and was not getting any reading/movement. Simple bulb power indicated it was getting power. Tried jumper cable from battery to starter and no luck. Tested fuel pump and other circuits all had power, uncertain of voltage as multimeter challenges.

Replaced battery, with new. And still won't crank. Dash lights on, but nothing. Where do I go from here?

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you hear the fuel pump "clicking" when the key is in the on position?

Reactions: riordan.andrew
#3 ·
It definitely sounds like you have a grounding problem. I would move the ground from the battery and ground it on the engine block or something that has more bite to it. Sheet metal rusts and makes terrible grounds. Next I would then check all of your grounding points. Usually there are more than one, i.e. dash to ground, etc... Then recheck with your volt meter. Do not place your volt meter ground to the negative side of your battery, naturally this would be a good ground. Ground your meter lead to an area on the frame, engine or someplace else. I would bet you are not making ground connections someplace. Also check your ground on your alternator/regulator/starter generator. They must have good grounds to complete your circuit. Remember when you are cranking the engine most of your battery power will go to the starter with just enough juice to power other items, if you do not have a good ground to your starting circuit, it will draw a lot of power to try and power that circuit.

#6 ·
i don't about why ur fuses blew, but on my jd 2520 mcut, i had a experience about like urs, and one of the inline fuses blew. jee-why can't i remember the correct word for them. on mine i have several of them in the wiring harness. my problem was right near the fuel pump, u could hear it clicking, but it wouldn't let the fuel do something. good luck.

#10 ·
I never tested the starter. It gets power, and yes the negative ground lead was corroded. I'm told the fuse holder/box needs to be replaced ($320 from jdparts) and I need to be cautious as a new wiring harness has an astronomical cost. The suggestion was made that somewhere on the wiring harness there are faults, either grounding out the current or providing more resistance than the battery could previously overcome.

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)

#9 · (Edited)
Based on the responses I must have read the first post by OP incorrectly. I read it as if everything was turning over fine after the sudden engine stop and that's why they were thinking it was fuel related. Later discovered the blown fuses then continued attempts to start by turning engine over to bleed the fuel system. I assumed that turning over the engine eventually caused the attempted jump starting and battery replacement. After reading this thread again I don't have any answers, just questions. Would a poor ground cause all the fuses to blow but still allow the engine to turn over well enough to think fuel gelling was the issue?

#11 ·
An old/ aged wiring harness could be prone to faulty discharge or unnecessary resistance by requiring higher amp circuits to run electric accessories. For instance, a 5amp fuse blew after the old had been replaced with that brand new one. So, after realizing that I needed to read check fuses I found that while the machine called for a 5amp fuse (which the tractor blew a brand new one) so I replaced with 10 amp and it started right up.

I don't know how/what caused the old fuses to blow. I replaced with new and it would crank but not start. Most likely not enough CCA's. So the next day with a brand new battery, and new ground fried the starter fuse and I didn't know it.

As far as the fuel, when the machine died the short that occurred fried the fuel pump fuse. Not sure I recall sequence of events but that may have been why we went the fuel route.

Hopefully this is helpful, it certainly has been for me.

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)

#19 ·
I've since replaced the battery and all fuses as well as installed a new ground. I need to install a new battery retainer strap, as it moves freely which could contribute to problem. Starter has not been an issue, but is OEM so could be on its way out (10years old).

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)

#18 ·
I would second the resistance in the ground circuit response. Often when this happens other systems like lighting try to carry the ground current and fail or act as a fuse.

Reactions: riordan.andrew
#20 ·
That would explain why headlights, then taillights and finally the hazards failed before the machine died.

I've since increased fuse capacity in each circuit. Short term solutiin, what,is long term impact or problems that will be caused?

Is there a way to cut all leads to the OEM fuse box and wire in a new Blue Sea Systems fuse block? I ask because from JD the fuse block is pre-wired to the harness and costs 350$.

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.