Green Tractor Talk banner

1025R FILB vs 2720/2032R TLB vs 3x20 TLB (Tractor Loader Backhoe) vs 110 TLB or 4x20

13K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  jhays 
#1 ·
1025R FILB vs 2720/2032R TLB vs 3x20 TLB (Tractor Loader Backhoe) vs 110 TLB or 4 series.

Ok this is a long post, but there's a lot of info and specs that I've tried to provide a comprehensive picture of what's planned, but I don't know what I don't know.

I’m in the market for my first John Deere tractor, Green is the only color I’m considering (well a Yellow Deere counts too)!. In planning this new adoption into our family; I’ve spent countless hours researching each model in the 1,2,3,4 series and the 110TLB; reading reviews, and forum posts (Thanks GreenTractorTalk.com!), deere.com, current market values (new/used), dealer visits, test drove a 1025r and a 3320. I’d like to be around 20k-26k for the TLB, with Box Blade but depending on value proposition there's room to move if i have to, but financing can be an issue for older used tractors with much higher rates.

As you read about my delimma I these basic questions:
1. Considering the size and scope of my project what is your advice on tractor selection?
2. Is the a 3 Series TLB really enough do what I need it to do or will I wish the whole time I had gone larger as I struggle to push it to it's limits?
3. Should I really consider the 110TLB and just enjoy having a big beefy CUT that may have some trouble close quarters but can be managed, or will I not use it as much because of it's larger size?

Here's a comparison chart that I've put together with all the Spec's I could find. I have never found all of this information in one place and thoguht it might help others who are interested in JD TLB's.

View attachment 27878

I have around 10 Acres of dense timber (walnut, oak, maple and cherry; some telephone pole size in diameter but mostly smaller, with a few much larger) that hasn’t been managed or maintained in almost 10 years. I have about 2000’ of road; 1000' that needs to be upgraded from dirt to gravel and 1000' to cut through the timber. I'll be removing (and planting) hundreds of trees, stumps and moving dirt. I'll also doing a lot of material handling using forks. This property is about 50 miles away from my primary residence where the tractor will normally be stored (right outside my picture window so I can gaze at it), so I’ll also need a trailer (tow vehicle no issue it's rated at 14k from the hitch). I have a small yard in town with little need for a tractor, but if it’s easily accessible I’ll find reasons to use it. The plan is to manage the timber to produce firewood, walnuts and/or good lumber. I’ll need to cull out a lot of trees to provide better conditions to the best ones. I also need to dig holes for septic, rain water and a propane tank plus trenching for various lines.

I have very little experience operating a tractor (but can't wait to learn), but I’m a hands on DIY type and I’ve rented a few with good success. The land is slightly sloping with no steep hills. I may do some small food plots for wildlife after the infrastructure is complete. I really don’t know what kind of soil I have until I start digging in it, looks like Iowa dirt to me. I also have dreams of digging a small pond after the infrastructure is complete.

Planned Attachments & Upgrades
Initial
Loader & Hoe
Box Blade 4, 5 or 6’. 5' if I go with a 3 series, 6' if I go with a 110TLB.
Artillian Forks 42” to start, Thanks to greentractortalk for that great tip!
Ken’s Bolt On Hooks - ditto above
4-in-1 Bucket and/or Grapple
60 or 72” Brush cutter.
Cart of some sort
Hoe Thumb

Future as needed
PHD, Power Rake, Chipper, Wood Splitter, Top N Tilt, Tiller, Spreader, Sprayer, Snow Blower, Front Blade, etc.

I’m currently leaning toward a 3 Series tractor based on the chart above, resources and space constraints. The 110TLB has awesome hydraulics’, lifting capacity and digging depth, but going out to a full 6’ wide makes storage and squeezing into back yards and dense timber more challenging. I can be convinced either way. I’d also need a heavy duty equipment trailer to pull it with which adds a little more expense over a base trailer, but would also be nice for moving other heavy equipment or transporting timber for sale.

Series Specific Comments
3x20 – 3 Series
The 3 series in any flavor seems to be a good value and I lean toward a 3520 since used the cost difference is less noticeable as price is more on condition, hours, and the market than sub model differences. For example; I can find a 3720 with 1k hours or a 3320 with 300h for close to the same price. In the used market seeking equipment with 1.5k hours or less. This model would be compact enough to use in town for various things yet powerful enough to get some real work done over a weekend. I’m really drawn to the loader capacity with forks vs a 1 or 2 series and the compact size compared to the 110 or 4 series. But since I've never owned a tractor before I don't know if this makes a huge difference or not.

3x20 Backhoe Compatibility (open station), the 3x20 series are compatible with NINE different backhoes that Deere's made over the years. Nice if I pick one up with out a backhoe and want to add it later. It's not preferred since I'll also likely have to find the compatible frame and add power beyond, but there's some out there for a lot less than new. My plan right now is to find one already packaged together, but plans change.

Model dig depth weight bucket Boom Lift
force
47 (Non-Current) - 7'6" 1047 2840 540
447 (Non-Current) 7'8" 1035 2840 595
375 7'8" 1035 2840 595
375A 7'10" 1250 3063 595
385A 8'7" 1390 3752 820
48 (Non-Current) 8'6" 1517 3730 760
448 (Non-Current) 8'9" 1460 3730 820
485 8'9" 1460 3730 820
485A 8"6" 1435 3752 820

Size Overall Length & Width – Finding any specs on Deere TLB's has been challenging but they are now listed in the chart above. Since i'll be storing my new tractor in town and hopefully using it frequently the length witdh are factors in the decision, provided the machine is up to the work i need it to do. Any comments on a 3 series vs the 110tlb from a size perspective? Has anyone used both? It only slightly larger than a 2 series.

The 3x20 series has had a long and illustrious life so with that type of popularity there should be lots of parts available, creative mods or add-ons, and a lot of people running them. I believe that it has enough lifting capacity to do 95% of what I’d need to lift and would be a fair bit faster than the 1 or 2 series. It’s also narrow enough to get into some of the tight spaces I’ll inevitably be working in the trees and in town.

2720/2032R
Pros: costs - I could probably afford new. Beefier than 1 series, excellent snow machine for 48” sidewalks, lower cost than 3 series. Capable of running all of the implements that I’d like to run, like a regular sized PHD, but smaller versions than what the 3 might pull. Easy to store and use in town. This would be a good economy tractor to start with, essentially just (barely) whats needed. Great mower.
Cons: Low loader capacities compared to 3 series, limited dig depth on backhoe, only low and middle gears.

1025R FILB
Pros: Compact, easy to store and use in town. Great price 20k fully loaded brand new, 15k used. Great at mowing and light duty work. Good for snow around the house. Would assist in 90% of what I need to do
Cons: Small, Low loader and Hoe capacities.
I initially didn’t even consider the 1025R FILB as I figured it would be too small, but the folks on this site have demonstrated how these little power houses can complete some impressive work. I just wonder if when I have time to work on the weekends but much slower than a 3 series or 110TLB.

110 TLB – I love the 110TLB, and based on the advice from the forum I may indeed go this route.
Pros: Performance will lift way more, and dig much deeper, hydraulics, quick attach skid steer bucket style, thumbs are common, good value, could run hydraulic construction implements off the bucket or backhoe like concrete breakers, or post hole diggers in place of bucket, 4-in-1bucket, weight, pushing 8k lbs I wouldn’t necessarily need to fill my tires and gives great leverage. Heavy Duty - I've seen many of these at auction with 5-10K hours on them. Still has 3 point hitch so I can use all of those implements as well.

Cons: Cost – even used with high hours are 25-35k, Width (6’) will I have trouble getting it into places?,it’s YELLOW, I’d really prefer Green tractor because I just like JD Green! I’ve even toyed with the idea of repainting one in JD Green just for fun. Weight – it’s heavy! Great for construction, but it might tear up yards and such very easily.

4 Series –
The 4 series are tough tractors that can get a lot done, however if I’m going to spend the dough on a 4 series, I might as well go with a 110TLB for the extra capacity since buying one of these new isn't an option.

Thanks for reading this long post! I'm sure everyone's gone through this delimma when it's time to get a new tractor!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like me when I was looking. I was vacillating from one extreme to another. ....and my needs were not near what you describe. What kept me going bigger for my needs was loader capacity...as I'm in the HVAC biz and needed to lift roof top units periodically. But....I couldn't justify for the other jobs. I settled for a 2520 and am glad I did ...most of the time as it does 95+% of what I need.I use it for landscaping around my new home where a bigger tractor would do as much harm as good. One thing that was a pleasant surprise was JD is very conservative on lift capacity advertisement. It was rated, depending on catalog,at 700-800 lb max. I have lifted close to 1100 lbs, verified by a units shipping label, at full height . I've lifted pallets with 13-14 80# bags of cement too. This little tractor routinely surprises me on what it can do...almost defies the laws of physics.

That being said...I am very disappointed with the 46 backhoe. It does the job, but is painfully slow ,since its hard to do two functions at once,and doesn't have much reach. With what you outline and the size of your property, I wouldn't go less than a 3x20 series tractor with the 485 backhoe. You'll be using it hard for awhile but once these jobs are completed, it will be used for mostly maintenance....probably. But, with a tractor, you soon realize you can take on jobs that you wouldn't dream of without a tractor....you start looking for stuff to do cuz that means more seat time :lol:

A 110 TLB is a dream tractor for me. But, the fact that the loader wont come of without a lot of work ( the bucket comes of easily) and the FOPS...not ROPS doesn't fold I had to rule that out. This due to our deer lease is a thicket and I couldnt get through the trees without destroying something. But...if I had more land and could justify the expense, brother, I'd have one!:good2:
Thats my take....I'm sure others will join the discussion and give you some feedback. We'll help you narrow it down. One good thing is....if you make a mistake, and you didnt buy new, you'll find that after the intial buying new "hit" these tractors will hold their value very well, so it wont be a costly mistake.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!:good2::drinks:

#3 ·
Considering the list of chores that you've listed, I'd lean towards the bigger machines. Forget about the 1 & 2 series. The smallest you should consider would be the 3520. I think it's a race between the 3520, 4520, and 110TLB. They all have their pluses and minuses and I tend to go bigger than smaller. IIRC you can't get a new 110TLB anymore, so you're looking at used there. I'm not sure if you want to go only new or you're open to used, so that's a factor.

I think when it's all said and done, a 3520 will fit the bill and not be too large after you're done with the initial list of big projects you have. That being said, I'd be drooling over a 4 series....:lol: I like having a big powerful loader.

#4 ·
Looking at what you want to do digging stumps, culling trees, etc and the attachments you want to use like a grapple/ 4in1/ backhoe thumb I'm going to say go big. Seems like you're going to be using this machine on weekends, and will probably want to get as much done in that time as you can. During the week, probably not much to do with it on the home lot.

Were I in your shoes, I would be looking at the 110. The 1 and 2 series, while great tractors are out IMO. If you wanted to mow a lawn with it, and had afternoons after work to work on projects it might be a different story, but they're smaller machines and will be less capable with a grapple, and the smaller backhoe will be less capable when it comes to lifting trees/ logs/ stumps with a thumb. The 3 series would be a compromise, but if you're goal with a 3X20 is to add a backhoe later I would advise against it. Backhoes and loaders do come up used, but they're not super common or inexpensive when they do. In addition, you have to set up the hydraulic system with a power beyond (not a big deal) and find the correct mounting hardware, which might be very difficult.

It sounds like what you want to do right now is 90% construction type work. The 110 is a construction grade machine that can perform as an ag machine as well. Pressing an ag machine into construction type work can be done, but it will be slower, less efficient, and take longer to get the same job done with more wear on the machine. If you get everything finished and decide the 110 is too much, you can always sell it and step down to a smaller machine and probably come close to breaking even on cost. That's rarely the case when going from a smaller machine to a larger one.

#5 ·
I like everyone's reasoning, and I appreciate the advice. I think I'll lean toward a 110, use it for the construction phase and then maybe downsize after the major work is complete and I just need to maintain the property. I think it would be the right tool for the job. When I first started looking at tractors I was even thinking about a 310TLB, but no 3 point hitch or removable backhoe eliminated that option.

What do you think about painting a 110 TLB JD Green? It would be interesting and unique, but would it affect resale value? I always thought Deere should have done a Green 110 as a 4720HD or something. I've seen Sunbelt Green 110's for sale occasionally, those are interesting.

#6 ·
The 110's hoe is more capable than the hoe on even a 5000 series ag tractor. Another thing I like about the 110 is that it has 3 hydraulic pumps instead of 2 like the 4x20's, so simultaneous functions of the hoe will be better. If you look at the hydraulic flow rates of the 110, it can deliver most of it's engine horse power to hydraulic power for running things like a hydraulic post hole digger and such. The 4x20 has about 15HP available (12gpm@2500psi) to the hydraulics.
The thing that I don't like about the 110, is that I think it could use a few more ponies for running rear PTO equipment. It would have been nice to see a 60hp JD powertech engine in them.

#7 ·
How hard would it be to re-power one with a 4720 engine? Would there be enough room in the engine compartment to fit? I like the idea of 66hp on a 110. Would it really affect performance for anything except PTO work?

#8 ·
If you have enough $$$, you can make almost anything happen.

You'd have to make sure the entire drivetrain could handle the extra power too. Otherwise you'd find the next weak link at the most inopurtune time....

#9 ·
I'd have to do a part by part analysis on the transmission, but considering the duty cycle of a 110 compared to a 4720 I would think that most of the components are already beefed up or nearly identical in performance? How cool would a Green 110 with a 66hp engine be? My biggest concern would be the geometry, not much wiggle room.

#10 ·
New Family Member ordered!!!

Well I decided on a 1025r FILB with a Box Blade, and 4' Rotary cutter all on an 18' JD Green Trailer. It should be here in a couple weeks. While the larger tractor would've been great, I realized that I've only been up to my property once so far this year. The 1025r will be a great "extra hand" for everything both at home and on the acreage, and easier to store in between. Once I get to know the new member of our family better, I'll put in my order for Artillian Forks and Kens Bolt on Hooks.

After considering countless variables and reading tons of advice on GreenTractorTalk there is no way I would have come to this decision without all the great folks on this forum sharing their real world experiences.

#12 ·
Well I decided on a 1025r FILB with a Box Blade, and 4' Rotary cutter all on an 18' JD Green Trailer. It should be here in a couple weeks. While the larger tractor would've been great, I realized that I've only been up to my property once so far this year. The 1025r will be a great "extra hand" for everything both at home and on the acreage, and easier to store in between. Once I get to know the new member of our family better, I'll put in my order for Artillian Forks and Kens Bolt on Hooks.

After considering countless variables and reading tons of advice on GreenTractorTalk there is no way I would have come to this decision without all the great folks on this forum sharing their real world experiences.
You might want to think this over and spend more time prioritizing your equipment requirements. Possibly consider renting equipment or preferably contracting the land clearing work if you're not an experienced operator. Even after you've done some clearing and stumping you've got quite a bit of acreage to manage. Depending upon the extent of your development aspirations you may still need a larger rig. I'd say the 2 or 3 series is a safe step up for a little more investment that you shouldn't regret.

Frank

Reactions: 69project
#13 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I've been researching and thinking about it for a year and I think I'll get the most bang for my buck with the 1 series. I may contract out some of the bigger work if needed, and going to a 2 series with backhoe adds almost 8k to the total price which is out of my budget. Experience will only come by doing and my land improvements will be slow and steady one project at a time. The 1025r will make a killer snow machine in my neighborhood come winter and serve as a great multitool for a wide variety of DIY tasks. If I ever live on the acreage I would agree with you 100% and would certainly go with the larger machine.

#14 ·
After a year....

Over the last year I have been very happy with my 1025r CUT! The brush and overgrowth are so thick that having a smaller machine makes it possible to get in between trees and while there are times (usually digging stumps) that I wish I had a more powerful machine, the 1025 has done everything I've asked of it. I box bladed 800' of road, cleared brush, mowed paths, lifted stumps and used the forks to move all variety of stuff... it's amazing that this little tractor can lift over 1k easily. Now if I can just convince the wife that we NEED the Grapple and a Chipper\Shredder life will be complete (for awhile)! I'm making good progress on the new campground.
Tree Jungle Nature reserve Natural environment Tent

#15 ·
Over the last year I have been very happy with my 1025r CUT! The brush and overgrowth are so thick that having a smaller machine makes it possible to get in between trees and while there are times (usually digging stumps) that I wish I had a more powerful machine, the 1025 has done everything I've asked of it. I box bladed 800' of road, cleared brush, mowed paths, lifted stumps and used the forks to move all variety of stuff... it's amazing that this little tractor can lift over 1k easily. Now if I can just convince the wife that we NEED the Grapple and a Chipper\Shredder life will be complete (for awhile)! I'm making good progress on the new campground.
View attachment 54074
Thanks for the update and glad to hear your choice turned out well. I was certain you would need a 110 for what you described, and was surprised when you announced you had ordered a 1 series instead-it's very refreshing to hear you don't regret the choice:bigthumb:

Reactions: mike01
#16 ·
A friend of mine is doing the same thing near Lexington va now and bought a 45 hp Kioti DK. He wishes he had two things he doesnt. A cab because he's been cold, dusty, wet and had snakes and possum in his lap in the woods and a backhoe with a thumb.
With a 1025 I'm afraid you will be spending the difference in tractor costs on contractors. I'm looking at 3 series for a property smaller than yours.

#17 · (Edited)
I love that this guy was considering such a variety of tractor sizes and was told the typical, "get the biggest, baddest tractor you can afford or you'll be sorry" and he ended up happy with a tiny little subcompact that somehow managed to do what he needed without being three times the size or twice the cost. Bravo, OP. Bravo! You're an inspiration.

#18 · (Edited)
Well said sir. Every tractor I have owned someone has told me I should have bought a size larger. If I followed that advise every time I heard it, I would be rolling up to bushhog customers fields in a 9 series on tracks.

Reactions: mike01
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.