Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How to disable RIO on JD 3720

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    07-29-2014 @ 11:11 PM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Am I to interpret this as only the 3x20's have the RIO (not the 4x20)?
    Arlen, I think I was wrong when I wrote :

"It looks like both the 3000 and 4000 series now have RIO's as standard equipment. This is from the JD site regarding safety features.

Built in safety features for operator peace of mind
    Safety is designed into all 3000 and 4000 Twenty Series Tractors.
    Operator presence system ensures the operator is in the seat to operate the tractor
    Roll-over protective structure (ROPS) is designed for operation safety
    Reflective ROPS strips for better tractor visibility
    Key switch interlock prevents bypass starting
    Visual power take-off (PTO) warning light alerts operator when either mid or rear PTO is running
    Reverse implement option (RIO) for safe mid-PTO operation*
    Placing the transmission in neutral and setting the park brake allows operator to run rear PTO safely when off the tractor seat
    Turn signal and flashing warning lights operate according to ASAE S279.10 standard
    Taillights for road transport
    Slow moving vehicle (SMV) sign for road transport

* 3000 TWENTY series HST tractors with serial numbers ending with 910000 (open operator station [OOS]) /940000(cab) and above have RIO."

When I read through it again it looks like the later model 3x20's have it as standard and it is not standard on the 4x20 but it looks like you can get it if you want on the 4x20. If you go and look up the 4x20 series on JD's web site it has the exact same statement.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    Wow, I was very wrong on this one, RIO definitely does exist on new machines. I stopped by my JD dealer yesterday and he confirmed that all new 3X20 and 4X20 series now have RIO. He said he has had quite a few complaints from people buying the new machines. He didn't have any sitting at his store. He described the need to push the PTO button when going in reserve with the mid-pto engaged - this is the same thing the OP stated when he started the thread. He also stated that JD no longer sells a MMM for the 4X20 series due to the new RIO requirement and their expected drop in demand for the feature. He said his mechanic figured out how to bypass this RIO function, but the mechanic wasn't in on Saturday, so I will have to stop by during the week to learn more.
    dieselshadow, arlen and farmgirl19 like this.
    2014 John Deere 4720 Premium Cab, 400CX Loader w/ 73" HD Bucket, Artillian Forks, 681 Tiller, PHD400, Ballast Box, Frontier TR2058 Overseeder, Frontier SS2067B Broadcast
    Spreader, iMatch, JD HD Sprayer.
    2013 John Deere 997

1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee - Currently disassembled waiting for restoration.
    1947 Allis Chalmers Model B - Still running great - handed down from my Grandfather to my Father to me.

4. Top | #23

Last Online
    03-02-2014 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Yup.... I stopped by a dealers lot yesterday and looked at a 3720 cab he had..... It had RIO...... when you pull the pto switch out to mow, you now have a small sticker around the pto switch that basically says to pull it up and hold it up to mow in reverse then release when done....

If the mow in reverse is controlled only by this switch being pulled up to make some extra contacts internally then it should be easy to bypass..... ...... I work on appliances and electronics and have done so for 20 years now..... As soon as my 3320 gets here at the end of the month I will be doing some tests on this problem.....

5. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    Lawnmowerman thanks for posting this as many new owners won't be happy with this. New 2032R owners won't like it either as JD added this to everything under attractor size.
    2012 JD 2720| Curtis Cab Hardside | JD 200CX w/73" bucket | JD 72" MMM | JD Post Hole-12"Auger | JD 42" Forks | JD Ballast Box | 5ft King Kutter Brush Cutter | Speeco Q-Hitch |

6. Top | #25

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Since the computer is involved, it would be near impossible to disable without reprogramming the computer, or totally rewiring the the pto to bypass the computer. I'll have to check how the pto is engaged on these new models. If the modulation of engagement is also computer operated, then rewiring wouldn't be a good option either.
    Kennyd likes this.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd110 For This Useful Post:

arlen (05-13-2013), Kennyd (05-13-2013)

8. Top | #26
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like Deere is bowing to attorneys!
    JD 2012 3320 end loader, 5' rear cutter, box blade, tiller,artillian forks, Fit rite hydraulic top link, 485 back hoe
    JD 1972 820 diesel Tractor
    JD 2013 Gator 825i.
    JD 2008 GX255 lawn tractor
    JD 1978 400

9. Top | #27

Last Online
    06-26-2014 @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Certainly I get the basic need for a RIO. They are intended to protect people from backing up over children. While I think that responsibility lies with the operator of equipment I have seen and treated people who have placed their hands in dangerous places and have taken care of children that have been backed over by a lawn tractor. I get it but its still not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Nevertheless, the courts disagree ( google Ryobi and Sawstop).

Shutting down the Mid PTO in reverse without An override is a deal killer. Try blowing snow with this setup for example would be beyond aggravating. Besides, many people realize that the ability to reverse while mowing is pretty important. Many people, myself included, don't have children or anyone around so a RIO Becomes yet another unworkable answer to a non existent problem.

My Simplicity has the right answer, each time you engage the PTO you can also engage a RIO override.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CharleyFarmall For This Useful Post:

pcabe5 (05-14-2013)

11. Top | #28

Last Online
    03-02-2014 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I am determined to find a fix for this as soon as I get my 3320 cab in later this month......cant wait to get my hands on this and do some testing.....almost like another "nerd" project for me....LOL .....I WILL find a way around this RIO.......

12. Top | #29

Last Online
    08-26-2013 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your input, guys.

To mcgill72143 and any one else who is determined to solve this and to the fellow (Sorry,don't have your user name handy) who was going to check back with his dealer's
    mechanic that wasn't availble but supposedly had a remedy, thanks VERY much. Sure hope anyone that may come up with a solution will share it. Most of you see clearly
    the difficulty of trying to operate the tractor and attachment this way and especially with snow blowing (finally done with that for the season).

Will be monitoring and awaiting your help, everyone.... again, thanks so much!

13. Top | #30

Last Online
    08-26-2013 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Just checking in. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to check into this matter any further. Sure would appreciate any news you may have or if you have time, just any update on any attempts or progress.
    Thanks much!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast