Green Tractor Talk banner

2038R or 3039R

54K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  JD3 
#1 ·
Trying to decide between a 2038R or 3039R. Both will have a backhoe. I'll be using it to clear some trees and maintaining 10 plus acres. There's a price differences of $7K. I can save some $$ and buy other implements. Will the 2038R do everything the 3039R? Let me know what ya think....

#6 ·
Hiya,

The choice here is dependent on your honest answer to these questions:

1) How much do you want to lift with the loader?
2) Are you cutting a lawn with it regularly?
3) Do you need to drive over a septic system often with it?
4) How deep do you need to dig with the hoe?
5) Are you planning on heavy ground work often?

Simply put, the 3 series is better suited to lifting, digging and ground engagement work than the 2 series. The 7K is a jump however, if you spend it once, you don't have to spend it again if you find that the 2 series isn't enough to meet yours needs.

Now, one aspect to consider is that there is a good supply of lightly used 3 series on Machine finder. Shipping, even across the country is reasonable. You can save significant money over a new unit. Here's one such unit, a 3720 with 100 hours, a 300CX loader and backhoe: 2005 John Deere 3720 - Compact Utility Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder

Reactions: PJR832 and rtgt
#7 ·
1. Thats a tough one. I would be using a grapple to carry the trees where i need to
2. I have a Z930 that will be doing the lawn work. But will buy bush hog for the tall areas i'll let go
3. No i wouldn't be driving over a septic too often
4. The deepest i'll be digging would be to put a septic tank in and pulling up stumps.
5. Ground work will probably be moderate. Just maintaining after taking out the majority of trees.

i've been doing a lot of research and trying to find the right tractor for the right price. Buying new gives me a piece of mind with warranty too.

#12 ·
I see everyones point of view and understand that bigger is always better and sometimes you can save by buying used. I know the new 2038R is big or just as big as a 3 series. Thats why i keep contemplating back and forth between the two tractors. Its just that i can get a lot more implements for the money by buying a 2038R. Difference right now is $7K. Lets see if the dealer can come down on the 3039R

#18 ·
Hiya,

It sounds like you have pretty much decided that the 2038R is the one you'll go with. $7K is a chunk of change.

One word of wisdom, on this and several other forums, there have been people that have opted for the smaller chassis only to find that after a while the shine wore off, they ended up trading in the smaller tractor and purchasing a larger model, taking a bath in the process.

Also, another factor is the 2038R is the top of the line in the 2 series, historically it has been a better value to go to the next larger series and choose the base model, in this case the 3033R. This way you get the advantage of the larger chassis, the weight and capacity, however, you do have less PTO HP. Since your primary needs are lifting, digging and ground, that may not matter so much.

Another option you may not have considered yet is to buy a used TLB like a Case or JCB on CL, use it for getting the big aspects of your project done then resell it. I have used my brothers Case 580 several times when I have needed a big machine and honestly there is no comparison between a true construction grade unit and a compact utility tractor when moving earth or digging. My buddy bought an old Ford 455 TLB to clear 2 lots of stumps and rocks, dig 2 foundations, 2 septic systems and grade for driveways and lawns. He used it for 2 months then resold it for a couple hundred more than he paid for it, he then went out and found a used 790 to keep the places up.

#15 ·
Take a look at tractordata.com. There is more to compare than just the hp & weight of the machine. You have the pto hp, hydraulic flow, 3pt capacity, etc. Its all up to you when it comes down to it. I don't have either tractor, but I do have years of experience operating from the small utility to the 4 wheel drive ones. I do know for a fact, that the more you weigh, the less the work is going to push you around. Think of a pro football player compared to a high school player. If you can swing the extra money now, get the 3039R, that is, if you want a new tractor. There are auction sites that you can get used tractor at a good discount. My family has never bought a new tractor before, always at auctions and don't be afraid to drive to get one.

Check out the two links below and auction results at auctiontime.com

TractorData.com - John Deere tractors sorted by model

http://www.auctiontime.com/listings/farm-equipment/auctions/online/list
AuctionTime.com | JOHN DEERE 4052R Online Auctions This is the one I fell in love with, but was told, NO! :brokeheart:

#20 ·
I may be a little biased.....

I just brought home a new 3039R today.....

Grinnin' like a bird fed cat.

The size difference between the two is that much.

The weight difference is noticeable, but weight is your friend when your using a backhoe.

All I can say at this point is sitting in the seat I can feel the power.

#23 · (Edited)
I have the 2038R. Mines primary purpose is mowing but I also use it for some ground engaging equipment. I thought it would be a little big for general mowing but I am finding out it is not. I still would not have went with the three series just because of the extra weight for mowing lawn. However if it's primary purpose is for ground engaging equipment I would seriously consider a three series with the cast-iron parts instead of aluminum parts. The engine definitely has the power to handle it. I have turf tires and have stopped the machine and spun all four tires doing different things. When I say spin the tires I mean it will do it from just off idle with 400 pounds on the front and roughly 500 hanging underneath as I had the deck on. The closest I have come to making the engine work is the 665 Rototiller, other than that it never works. I keep kicking around the idea of some ag tires but figure I can use the 3020. I really would like to see what it can do if I could but the power down to the ground.

I think all the answers above are excellent ones. Of course the one series would also get the job done and you could justify a four series. It's that great balance of pain in the pocketbook versus pain or speed doing a job.

#24 ·
3R = Aluminum
T1000 = Mimetic Polyalloy
Wolverine = Adamantium
4R = Cast Iron

#30 ·
I have the 50" Compact Tractors Accessorise out of Wisconsin. It's just 185 lbs fast shipping. I ordered it on a Monday had it on Thursday.

Reactions: greenharley
#33 ·
Sounds like my wife when she comes back from a shopping trip. "I got all these things on sale, saved you so much money"...:lol:

#35 ·
I like my CTA grapple because of its shape. It has a lower shelf design not a "rake" design.

Attachments

#39 ·
Just got an email from my salesman

$39999.00 Tractor 3039R with ehydro,mid pto, auxscv, 3Rd function on loader, H165 Loader, 375A backhoe, imatch hitch, power beyond hydraulics for backhoe. No other implements. I need to move on the tractor quickly . Please advise.
Thank You
Charlie Howard

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. This is tax included at 3%. I'll be ordering a grapple and a few other implements while I'm waiting on the tractor. Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

#40 ·
Glad to hear you went with the 3 series. :good2:

My only suggestion is that you have the rear tires loaded with ballast for the additional weight/traction and have the dealer set them in the wide position for extra stability.

#41 ·
Right choice IMO, I bought a 2032r last year and its a great machine for me because of my hills and mowing. But you need your tractor to do those things and the extra weight makes a lot of difference for ground engaging. When I am doing ground work I add 600lb ballast and still wish I had more weight. You'll be happy with your decision, congratulations.:good2:

Reactions: vila251
#44 ·
Congrats. Sounds like a great setup. Enjoy it. :good2::good2:

Reactions: vila251 and rtgt
#49 ·
Your money does you no good until you give it to someone...

#47 · (Edited)
Congrats nice machine

#54 ·
Depending upon what you are doing, a set of pallet forks might be just as good as a grapple, for far cheaper.

I've cut down lots of trees, cut them to a length the tractor can handle, then just slide the forks under, and move the log(s) where they need to go. I've also built a racking system in my barn and put seasonal/rarely used stuff on pallets so I use the forks to swap stuff around for storage.

For those that have a grapple, how are you doing the hydraulics for it?

#55 ·
Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.