Green Tractor Talk banner

Original Cab install on a 2720.

11K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  tsurface 
#1 ·
The Original Cab for my 2720 was delivered yesterday about noon. After it was delivered, I opened it up to make sure everything was OK & to review the manual. I brought the tractor into the shop & got the 4 corner mounts put on the tractor.

These are the front mounting brackets. They go in the joint between the foots rest & floor boards. The cab is designed to be installed using existing bolt locations, so you do not have to drill any holes. In the spring when I remove the cab I will leave these brackets on the tractor. Each bracket is attached with only one bolt. I was concerned that the brackets could pivot on the one bolt during the mowing season, so I drilled holes & added a second bolt to each bracket.

These two brackets mound with the front bolt locations of the ROPS. The left one had to go under the mower height adjuster.

The center part of the front frame mounts to the fire wall. I had to remove 1 bolt on each side that holds the lower dash cover in place. I then installed longer bolts. The longer bolts extend into the engine compartment. I added the provided shims & bolted the on the frame.

Next is just a matter of assembling the frame on the tractor. None of the frame bolts are tightened at this time.

Next I assembled the lower frame & latches on the doors. I hung the doors on the cab, latched them & tightened all of the bolts.

I made a modification in this step. The cab is designed to be attached the the ROPS, with it in the up position. The tractor will not fit in my barn with the ROPS up.
I reworked the brackets & made extensions that would attach below the hinges of the ROPS. The cab is still very solid with the change & it allows me to fold down the ROPS.

At this point I checked how I would need to to run the wiring for the windshield wiper. On the 2210 & 2320 that I also had Original Cab on, because they did not come with 12 volt power sockets, I installed 12 volt sockets on the dash of each tractor to plug the wiper wire into. The 2720 comes with a 12 volt socket, but it is located on the right side of the seat behind the joystick. I did not like the way I was going to have to run the run to the socket, so I decided to add a second socket on the right side of the dash.

Now it was just a matter of adding the coverings to the frame, The edges of the coverings wrap around the frame & are held by snaps. After the coverings, I added the windshield & roof.
The cab coves with a soft windshield & no wiper. These are about $200 each options. I already had a glass windshield & wiper on my old cab, so I used them on the new cab.

I am very pleased with the new cab. The visibility is much better than the old cab.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for all the step by step pics!. It looks like you have a nice workshop too.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone.

I got a Original Cab for a 2210 over 7 years ago. The 2210 uses the same cab as the 2305. I used it for 3 years on the 2210,
In 2007 I traded the 2210 for a 2320 & adapted the to fit the 2320. It is still in great condition.

#7 ·
I had the Original Cab on the 3720 a year ago. I thought it was a decent cab but the windshield rattled quite a bit. I'm sure it was an easy fix, I just didn't take the time to work with it. For the customer looking for a reasonably priced protection from the elements it works. It is not as nice as the Curtis cab but it is less money though.

Nice job on the installation.

#8 ·
ChrisR Greta post I enjoy it especially when somebody not only tells you what they went through, but takes the time to show step by step photos. Kudos to you:thumbup1gif:.

I do have one question to ask seeing that you have had three of these soft cabs, Is there any problem with engine noise bothering you inside the cab?

#9 ·
Thank you smalltown.

The cab does amplify the engine noise, but it has never a problem for me because I always wear high quality hearing protection anytime I use the tractor for extended periods of time. Cab on or not. I keep a pair on the tractor.
If I am going to be on the tractor for a long period of time, such as plowing snow or mowing, I wear a pair of ear muffs that have a built in AM/FM radio & a connection for an Ipod.

#11 ·
Thanks Chris! I will keep your mods in mind, as if I ever go this route, I would need to have the ROPS folded to get into the garage as well. Thanks for taking the time to photograph your install and the time to post about it.:thumbup1gif:

#12 ·
Thank you for taking the time to put this valuable information on here. I too have seen these cabs on Ebay and I am going to ask Santa to bring me one for Christmas next year! They will definately keep a person out of the elements and are MUCH cheaper than a hard shell cab.:thumbup1gif: I would ask for this year, but as you can see by my sig I have already spent my alotment for this year and many more. Good thing that I have an understanding wife - course she doesn't know about the 54" blade yet... :laugh:

#14 ·
With Fall approaching, I find myself looking for a enclosure cab, for my 2320. Of all the manafactures Ive looked at, the Original Cab ,looks like a good way to go,for the money. If I get it, im planning on the safety glass windshield option.
Are they any other brands,in the same price range, that I may have missed with Google? Anyone have any detailed pictures, of how this mounts?
Thanks
Terry

#16 ·
#15 ·
tsurface None that I'm aware of , I've had a Original Cab on my 425, sold it with the tractor to a friend. Had one on 2210 ,same one on 2305 and another 2305 when I sold it last wk it was 7 or 8 yrs old. The first two I bought from Original Cab but the last one I bought for the 1026r came from The Green Dealer. Saved $100-125 maybe a little more. If you go to there website place your order on line you save 5 % more savings is very close to your shipping fees.
Order with the glass windshield if you have a blower ,and if so you may want the optional hand wiper or electric wiper.
Chris R congrats on your purchase ,first time out clearing the driveway in a snowstorm, or sleeting you'll say why didn't I do this yrs ago.

#17 ·
My budget is not big enough for the Larun, at this time. And I want to remove the enclosure,for the summer months, and just use the rops canopy ,I have now.
I was looking at the enclosures the use my existing canopy. They seem to cost 2x the price of "Original Cab". Im not sure why.
Thanks for the info. Looks like ill be ordering one soon.
Terry

#19 ·
Good stuff, I really was unsure on how much they were, only they look really nice, for twice as much, I think you're making a fine decision. Pictures when it arrives!

#20 ·
What happened to the photos? All I see are icons from Photobucket saying the images have moved.

#21 ·
I sent a PM to Chris (the OP). That is the downside of linking to a picture rather than uploading it-we have no control over the photo that way.

#22 ·
Using an outside host like flickr or photobucket has it's advantages, but there are disadvantages also. This is one of them. I don't think most photobucket account holders realized that when they delete a photo from their photobucket account, it kills the link they place to that image in every site they posted the link in. With that disadvantage, it's better to place your image using this site's image posting abilities, allowing the pictures to be placed "hard" here instead of linked.

#23 ·
I received my cab, last week. I went ahead and installed it Saturday evening. Looks like it will do what I intended it to do. I have the glass windshield, but didnt put it on. Ill do that later. I removed the doors, and everything but the frame front window and rear section. Late October, is about when ill install it, for winter season.
Instructions were lacking! They need to add more detailed pictures. Took about 4 hours.
I could do one now, in less than half that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.