• 1 Post By DRobinson
  • 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: Is Majic paint really Magic???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Thanks

Is Majic paint really Magic???

Tractor Sypply Co. has replaced Valspar tractor paints with a brand called Majic Paint. I recently watched a video on this paint which was obviously produced & paid for by Majic. Is this Majic paint a new product? It also appears to have some application issues like waiting 24 hours between light coats. That might be ok but they also tell you to mix hardener (there's) into the paint. So adding all the hardner will cause you to throw out all the leftover if you don't calculate the exact amount of paint you need for those single light coats you need to apply every 24 hours until you have three coats in total.

I did see this paint in my Tractor Supply store & was not really pleased by the brand change. Valspar makes the JD paints. But who the hell is Majic ? I think this could simply be a cheaper paint for us & more profits for Tractor Supply. But if you have to toss out all this paint between coats what's cheap about that. Plus all the extra work cleaning up guns & the leftovers. Can anyone comment on this? Please do if you have experience with this product. Inquiering minds need to know.

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    But who the hell is Majic ? I think this could simply be a cheaper paint for us & more profits for Tractor Supply.
    Exactly. Lowest bidder. Buy the JD stuff, expensive-but worth it IMHO.
    Last edited by Kennyd; 05-24-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Changed But to Buy
    Maddog likes this.
    -John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 AWS w/60" MMM
    -John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Bolt on Grab Hooks are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I have used the new TSC Magic paint. It is crap. I agree with Kenny, spend the extra and buy JD paint. It will save money in the long run. I think I saw Valspar paint in Lowes the other day, but I don't know if they have JD colors.

Don
    Maddog likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower, 826 snow blower

5. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-27-2014 @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    I also agree that the majic paint is total garbage. Both of my local TSC stopped carrying Valspar halfway through a paintjob on a 110 garden tractor. I finished the project with the Majic paint, and now it looks like crap on those parts, while the parts with the Valspar still look really nice. When i get around to repainting those parts, ther paint will come straight from Deere.
    1968-110...1969-110...1971-110...1972-110...1976-210...1977-300...1978-316...1981-314...1990-2155 with loader.

6. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-10-2014 @ 05:57 AM
    Thanks
    I never used the Majic paint, but have seen it at TSC recently. I can say the JD paint is excellent quality and worth the price. It isn't like it costs much more than the TSC paint anyway.

I have a table I built for a metalworking lathe. The tabletop is a large piece of 5/8" steel plate, and the legs are 3" OD by 1/4" wall tubing. There are also a few other parts on it to hold the lathe drive and some other items. Anyway, I painted it with JD green left over after I rebuilt my 40U 10 or 11 years ago. The table is always covered in oil and metal chips, burning hot swarf is constantly laying on it, and I've dropped all kinds of lathe chucks and tools on it, and there is not even a nick in the paint.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

7. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Thanks
    Well I guess gross margins & accountants determine what products will be bought stocked & sold. I guess the bean counters at TSC coulden't care less about customer satisfaction. Im just wondering now if they get a lot of complaints from customers about Majic paint & start seeing sales go down the drain, what will they do next?

Also if you watch that Youtube video where they paint a 1957 ford tractor, you hear them stress over & over again about how the paint needs to be applied. If you follow it exactly I don't know how anyone can claim a savings on material costs. Looks like a load of smoke & mirror crap IMHO. I know I won't use it. I put to darn much effort in the pre paint prep to do the job more than one time without going MADDOG on myself.
    farmgirl19 likes this.

8. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-23-2014 @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks

Majik paint

I've used both, the Malik is not a bad paint at all, I used 3 gallons of red oxide primer the other day, bought 2 from tsc and one from asc (agri). The only problem I had with the paint was all the oxide settling to the bottom of the can....made it really hard to mix, had to use thinner to spray, a lil bit more that they said, you only have to put hardner in if you want faster dry times. I also sprayed two gallons of color, nh blue, the color looked perfect, didn't have the buildup in the bottom of the can with the color, paint applied smooth, good adhesion, looks very good for a single stage paint. I was painting a flatbed trailer, if it were a restore project I woulda used jd paint, but this is implement paint, worked great for me...