Green Tractor Talk banner

A Ballast Box Modification

14K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  RandyM 
#1 ·
Well, here is my rendition of making a ballast box more user friendly. Please note that the tool box lid is not only held open but also closed by the air spring. The box construction is aluminum. I also added tool holders to the sides.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, my ballast box showed up with the optional extension kit (have a good dealer). I just thought the additional space would work well for extra tools and chains. I didn't think my machines need the additional weight it would provide.

#4 ·
Randy, you do good work- both this and the lights.

#15 ·
Well Gang, I have an update to my ballast box. I already had the dolly for it, but keeping it centered and on the dolly when hitting joints in my concrete floor concerned me when moving it about. I also thought there was an easier way to center it when loading the box to the dolly. Well, here is what I came up with. The guides are plastic and bolted directly to the sides of the dolly. Four of the guides are 8 inches long while the other two are 4 inches. This is to aid in the loading. Seems to work well.

Attachments

#16 ·
I like the plastic guides too. Tooled control joints in garages and shops are evil.

#21 ·
Randy -
Nice work. I have a few questions regarding the ballast box itself: how much does it weigh? Was the original ballast box you had purchased or did you make it? If you bought it, how much of a $$ adder was it? These ballast boxes seem like pretty simple things...when I purchase my tractor in a few months, I was considering just welding my own box and filling it with cement or something.
thanks
JDfun

#22 ·
Randy -
Nice work. I have a few questions regarding the ballast box itself: how much does it weigh?
Thanks JDF,

In regards to its weight, it will be dependent upon with which you fill it. I currently have mine filled with common bricks. I guess about 500lbs. don't really know for sure.

Was the original ballast box you had purchased or did you make it? If you bought it, how much of a $$ adder was it?
My box came with my loader. As a package deal, FEL, Ballast Box, and Hood Guard. So I am not sure of the price breakdown, I would have to dig into my paperwork.

These ballast boxes seem like pretty simple things...when I purchase my tractor in a few months, I was considering just welding my own box and filling it with cement or something.
thanks
JDfun
You are correct, they are not complicated. You should be able to build one very easily. Concrete, sand, gravel, or just dirt will work along with a simple container. There are very creative ballast boxes posted out there in cyber land. You may want to consider the purchased box right along with your tractor. Sometimes the dealer will work with you, they really are not that expensive but definitely worth their weight when needed. I use mine all the time with the FEL, snowblower, and the brush. Keep us upto date on the purchase. :thumbup1gif:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.