Green Tractor Talk banner

2016 John Deere 1025R - - - 50 hr Service cost comparison between dealer and DIY ??

22K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  WifeSaidOK 
#1 ·
What is the general cost difference between having the dealer do the 50 hr break-in service, or doing it yourself?

I want to do it myself, but was curious what the fluids/parts cost is complete to buy it all yourself vs having the dealer do the entire job?

Thanks.

#3 ·
You can easily do a comparison. Make a list of the oil and filters required and check the price on JD Parts. Be sure to select the dealer who would be doing the work. That will be your parts cost - add any applicable tax. Then look up the same parts on GreenFarmParts using your GTT or TTWT discount. Add $150-200 for labor to the dealer column and you'll have a fairly close comparison.

PS: It's ALWAYS less expensive to do it yourself AND you know that everything was done correctly.

#4 ·
If you don't have a trailer to take your tractor to the dealer, you'll also have to pay a transport fee for them to pick up and deliver your tractor.

Even if you do have a trailer, you'll spend time and gas getting it to the dealer.

#5 ·
Understand about cleaning and inspecting the metal mesh oil pickup filter if you do it yourself. This was the one pain point for me. For some it is worth it to have the dealer do that.

Reactions: etcallhome
#6 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has the dealer to pickup ,do his service, and return the tractor, usually $3-400 more than my cost of buying JD filters and fluids.

Follow the manual , learn how your tractor runs.

Reactions: PJR832 and ilmo
#7 ·
The only thing I did when it was time for the 50 hour service was change the hydraulic fluid, hydraulic filter, cleaned the magnets and transmission suction screen. And other recommended items to check per the owners' manual. \ Engine oil change was done at the 100 hour mark./
----------------------------------------
I don't know what the dealer would charge to have them do the work, but the following is what they would charge me for the hydraulic filter and the low vis hydraulic fluid if I bought from them today.

Text Green Font Line Screenshot

These are the prices I paid on 1/24/17 at the same dealer. I keep these in stock so I have everything ready for the next time. I have already done the 50 hour and the 200 hour services recommended by the owners' manual.

You can check online stores for price comparisons and discounts, but sometimes for me the prices are better at my local dealer. Plus, I know them and they know me. The service manager has given me advice, answered questions, and seems more than happy to do it.

Owners' manual
OMLVU25849

#8 ·
Also, and not that I do this, since I prefer to support my dealer...TSC has the oil that meets specs for less than half what JD charges. Filters and air cleaners may be available as well

Reactions: greenharley
#10 ·
That $12.32 was the price on 1/24/17.
Today it is $15.48.
Today GFP is $22.90

Still, quite a bit of a price difference, huh?

#11 ·
GFP has to pay for Hazmat shipping charges, don't they? I imagine they include that on the price.

#12 ·
I am sure you are right, dieselshadow. Hazmat shipping, along with proper placarding, and packaging, are all added expenses.

Another reason why I like to buy from my local dealer.

#14 · (Edited)
My dealer sent a service truck to my house and did the 50 service in my barn for a total of $261. When I first asked about it and said I would need to borrow a trailer to bring it in the Service Manager said "You just bought a new tractor from us. I think we should do the service at your house."
It was easily worth that (to me) to have them cuss removing the painted over clamp on the filter screen hose the first time.
Now that they've broken it all loose and put it back with the clamps oriented properly I will happily do the next one myself.

#16 ·
The 50 hr is a walk in the park. The hardest thing for me was finding a pail with enough capacity for the oil. There is no way the dealer is ever going to be less costly then what you can do it for yourself. In my case I went to the closest dealer (23 miles) and asked for a quote for fun while I was buying the filters, oil etc. ( I changed the engine oil, filter as well) and was shocked at the pricing and the wait time to get it scheduled into the shop. I drove home with a bag of goodies and had everything done in three hours and I was in no hurry either. I really got to know my tractor that much better. It was a chance to grease fittings, inspect the rock shaft, check fluids etc. The dealer stated these are extra billable hours to do.

#17 ·
Yeah, don't pay the dealer to do it. If you can change the engine oil on any lawn tractor or similar, you can do the 50 hour service. I thought about having my dealer do mine, but I am sure glad I did it myself. It was really easy, I learned a lot, and had fun doing it.

#18 ·
I must be sick, but I find the maintenance of the tractor fun:hide: It's always fun to improve things...Ask my wife, she has been trying for years to do it to me...:slap-yourself-emoti

Reactions: coaltrain
#19 ·
I have 2 different dealers in the area surrounding my place. I paid the dealer (where I bought my tractor) to do the 50 hour service. Total was $200.18. I have a trailer. I took the tractor to them and they did the service while I waited. I talked to the tech who was doing the work and he showed me the strainer when he took it out. I asked him specifically about that when I left it with him, he said "no problem". I also asked him about some other things when he was done with the service. The remainder of my wait time I window shopped the sales floor and sales lot and then chatted with the Service/Warranty person. I really don't mind supporting the local dealer(s). I will likely do some of the subsequent services, but am not against taking it back there if I am pinched for time or it's 100 degrees when the service interval comes up, again. And yes, I usually buy my parts and fluids from one or the other of the 2 nearby dealers, too. As long as their prices are competitive, why not?

#20 ·
For $200 you got a pretty good deal. I would do the same thing if I was offered the same price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.