Green Tractor Talk banner

Tip for 1025R owners with auto-connect decks.

7K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  HydroHarold 
#1 ·
I've seen several you-tube videos showing how to use the auto-connect deck and some recommended doing it in the grass so the deck wouldn't slide like it does on cement or blocktop. Well, I want to do mine in my shop where there is concrete. I own a Home Improvement company and we sell entrance doors. They come with a sheet of cardboard on each side of the door. I took that cardboard and layed it flat on the concrete and drove the tractor on top of it, lowered the deck with the cardboard under it and then proceeded to drive off of the deck and it never moved and then I drove back over it to connect it and it stayed right in place. The nice thing about doing it on a flat surface like black-top or concrete is that the auto-connect portion will always be in the correct height to line up correctly. I saw one video where the guy was doing it in the yard and he just kept banging it back and forth trying to get it to connect. When I was originally adjusting the auto-connect portion, I could actually roll the tractor ahead by hand and get it click nice and easy. A grass surface could be uneven and not allow a perfect alignment. So if you have had issues with your deck sliding when you drive on or off of it on a hard surface, try putting a piece of cardboard under the deck and make sure you are in 4 wheel drive-low range. It is smooth as glass!!! :thumbup1gif:

#2 ·
Cardboard sounds like a good idea, anything that provides a bit of traction to the deck/ground. I'm using pieces of coi pond liner (rubber). My problem is finding a flat enough surface to do the deck final adjustments and tuning. Even my shop/garage floor is slanted in 2 different directions to a drain and the blacktop outside looks like Lake Erie during a storm...

Reactions: etcallhome
#15 ·
I'm thinking a piece of carpet may work also...I have several laying around my garage...I am concerned of slipping on cement, I haven't tried the connect disconnect yet...
Hap1025R
1 hour...had .6 when I got it!
Sounds like you need some seat time lol !!!:greentractorride:

Reactions: HydroHarold
#5 ·
Just don't do like me! The very first time I connected the deck I had a large piece of cardboard under the deck, drove ov er it and made the connection, checked e verything and it looked good. So now I was curious if the deck was going to be loud, so I hit the PTO switch with the deck still laying directly on the cardboard with the 4 corner wheels still all the way up. At that point there was a shower of cardboard coming out of the chute. Thankfully, it was one big piece of cardboard and it just sucked it upwards and started cutting a circle with the center blade. At that point my underwear was full and the shop was covered with brown cardboard pieces. Not one of my brighter moments!!! :cray:

#6 ·
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's a good one!

#9 ·
Guys,

My 60D sets in the John Deere room directly on a VCT tile floor. The floor has even been waxed. I am able to drive over the deck and hook it up without dragging it forward provided the tractor is properly aligned. I suspect all dragging issues are associated with improper alignment and/or setup.

#10 ·
I agree. I have a smooth cement floor which is almost always very slick with sand, but have never had the deck try to slide on me. I can easily slide the deck forward with my hand but the tractor climbs right over no problem. Aside from improper adjustment/alignment, could problems be tire related? I have R4's and they climb fine. Do the people who have trouble have R3's?

Just a thought as this seems odd to me. Maybe someone who has a sliding deck could post a video of it sliding away so that we can see what is causing the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Got some sliding going on on both macadam and concrete. More so than when I first got the tractor. I remembered I boosted the front tires up to around 28PSI for loader work. Could be they are too firm now!?

Reactions: HydroHarold
#20 ·
Cheesetrain,
I agree. I believe it was Mr diesel shadows post. I took his advice and adjusted the mower and tractor so I could use my hand to roll the tractor forward and hook the mower to the tractor. Just with a breath as I like to say. That was last spring. Still hooking up with a breath.

#22 · (Edited)
That's the way it should be cheesetrain, I had to fine tune mine but it was pretty easy to do.
Back to my first post, my thought is if the tractor is moving as you approach the deck it will have a tendency to bounce or get pushed and slide away from the tractor. By stopping with the tires against the deck and allowing the tires to grab and pinch the deck between the tires and floor/ground it won't slide away.

#23 ·
Always got up on the deck with no trouble, creep right up-no problem... My problem was always with trying to creep down off the front. Deck tipped either L or R pivoting on those center "things" that stick down making deck rotate. Wood wedges stopped that nonsense. What are those "lugs" supposed to do anyway...?

#24 ·
Hydro,
When I'm coming off the front I use the brake to very slowly come off the front.
I've never really thought about the deck sliding at that point. I've never had the deck even act like it would slip. The next time I use my 54 deck I'll play with it a little to see if I can get it to slide. I can get the deck to slide when I first try to mount it by not using four wheel drive because I've checked that out to see if I could do it without using four wheel drive.
Now I'm curious what I'd have to do to cause it to slide coming off the front.

#27 ·
I wouldn't "play with it" if I were you!:laugh: You might find you don't like the final score!:mocking: If it ain't breaking, don't try to fix it!:laugh:

Hydro,

You say 'was'. Did you get rid of your 1025R? Maybe I missed the post?

Tim
In a sense I "got rid of it" this afternoon, it went to the dealer on his flatbed... AND... (drum roll, please)... 3 weeks past extended warranty! (insert insane, drooling smiley in a straight jacket!):laugh:

Hydro
I was thinking about those "lugs" as you call them. If you haven't checked already, if it was me I would check to see if those lugs when sitting on a level surface are all making contact. Basically if there all the same length so the deck isn't rocking. As heavy as it is you might not could tell. Just a thought.
The "lugs" are only about 6" apart. With the weight of the tractor sitting just on the front curve of the deck it has a tendency to make the rear of the deck to get light and lose traction against the pavement. This allows the differential action of the front wheels to counter rotate one or the other... SOMETIMES, not always. 2 wood wedges at the front edges out by the sides of the lip is "my" dead on cure. Pavement is about as flat as old blacktop gets, I guess.

I'm set up for engagement on pavement, maybe I'll readjust it for attaching on the lawn when it gets back. I just hope when they re-set the AutoConnect it's better than it was the day it was delivered new... Should know in 2-3 weeks. Giraffes are grazing in my back lawn and I can't even see the backs of the elephants anymore.:laugh:

#26 ·
Hydro
I was thinking about those "lugs" as you call them. If you haven't checked already, if it was me I would check to see if those lugs when sitting on a level surface are all making contact. Basically if there all the same length so the deck isn't rocking. As heavy as it is you might not could tell. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.