Green Tractor Talk banner

1-Series 60D Center Anti-Scalp Roller

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  aclass 
#1 ·
My 1026 with a 60D mower replaced a JD 650 with a 160 mid mower. The 650 setup did a great job mowing, however when I ran the 1026/60D on the same property, I ended up with many narrow scalped sections. Upon further consideration, it seemed that the 650/160 mower had a roller mounted in the center of the deck, the 1026/60D had a small steel skid plate which serves as a great shaving blade, leaving divot evidence all over the yard. I studied Tim's video on his fix for the 54D, but the 60D has many design limitations for that solution. I lived with that clear engineering design deficiency, until I recently found some conveyor components from one of my engineering assignment many years ago. A solution became eminent.

Starting with the existing design:

Tool

First, I cut out the SKID PLATE/Grass Plane:

Vehicle Plant Machine

Next, I drilled a 3/8" hole on each of the flanges and cut the joining shaft to fit between the flanges. The bottom of the roller would project 3/8" below the Skid Plate.

Wire Tool

Final assembly of the roller. 3/4" shaft, UHMWPE bearings, 1 1/2" Aluminium tubing, 3/8 hex head bolts.

Vehicle Tool Machine

Works great. Rolls over old scalps which will be reseeded.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you give us a part list. I like the idea of this and it looks simple to do. Thanks. :good2:

#3 ·
My 1026 with a 60D mower replaced a JD 650 with a 160 mid mower. The 650 setup did a great job mowing, however when I ran the 1026/60D on the same property, I ended up with many narrow scalped sections. Upon further consideration, it seemed that the 650/160 mower had a roller mounted in the center of the deck, the 1026/60D had a small steel skid plate which serves as a great shaving blade, leaving divot evidence all over the yard. I studied Tim's video on his fix for the 54D, but the 60D has many design limitations for that solution. I lived with that clear engineering design deficiency, until I recently found some conveyor components from one of my engineering assignment many years ago. A solution became eminent.

Starting with the existing design:

View attachment 444282

First, I cut out the SKID PLATE/Grass Plane:

View attachment 444306

Next, I drilled a 3/8" hole on each of the flanges and cut the joining shaft to fit between the flanges. The bottom of the roller would project 3/8" below the Skid Plate.

View attachment 444290

Final assembly of the roller. 3/4" shaft, UHMWPE bearings, 1 1/2" Aluminium tubing, 3/8 hex head bolts.

View attachment 444298

Works great. Rolls over old scalps which will be reseeded.
Looks good. I would suggest to others to use as big a roller diameter that will fit so it will roll easier over terrain. Understand a larger diameter rolls with less effort especially when not on a smooth surface.

#4 ·
Roller In Action...

No iPhones were damaged in the production of this video. (Not that I didn't try)

This section is a notorious scalping area as it is a berm of a curtain drain: if I forget to raise the deck, I get a dirt shower. No more. (We travel backwards a bit at first to make sure everything is attached.)

[video]https://player.vimeo.com/video/232399110[/video]

#6 ·
No iPhones were damaged in the production of this video. (Not that I didn't try)

This section is a notorious scalping area as it is a berm of a curtain drain: if I forget to raise the deck, I get a dirt shower. No more. (We travel backwards a bit at first to make sure everything is attached.)

[video]https://player.vimeo.com/video/232399110[/video]
Nice job :bigthumb:

#5 ·
#9 ·
Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but just remember guys, that skid is designed to hold the entire weight of the front end of your tractor to include an installed loader as you drive over the deck. Just something to keep in mind when building or modifying that skid. :good2:

#10 ·
that skid is designed to hold the entire weight of the front end of your tractor to include an installed loader as you drive over the deck.
I think I read in this forum, which quoted the JD manual, that the deck shouldn't be removed / installed with the loader (or anything else) is attached? Made since to me, so I quit doing that.

#13 ·
Nice job. When I had my 1026r that was one of my biggest complaints of the mower. When I traded up to the 2032r I never even looked at the MMM and bought a ZT. Wife uses the ZT I use the 48" woods mower on the back of the 2032r. Problem solved.

#14 ·
Nice job on the install. :thumbup1gif:
Just ordered my 72D so I get to learn how to mow all over again.
My Woods RM has the anti scalp and it is definitely a necessity on a deck this wide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.