Green Tractor Talk banner

To push or blow snow

15K views 70 replies 42 participants last post by  s1283 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a 1025r right now. The dealer is getting aggressive on pricing to try and move stuff for end of year. The only thing in my mind is the blower vs the 54" plow with angle.

I have an x324 with the 44" snow blower on it now and live in the Rochester, NY metro area. We get snow between 3" and 3' (per storm, between 3 - 8 storms /year). The 44" in blower does a great job, the issue is that the x324 doesn't have a locking differential and is a bit light in the rear-end, so I will end up spinning quite a bit. The dealer has a great deal on a 'back-room' plow with angle kit for the 1025r, or I could go for the snowblower at a... less generous price.

I'm somewhat sold on the snowblower from a performance perspective. I have a 160 foot driveway with a 40'x40' turn around. Just curious if you all have an opinion on the blower vs. plow and how it'll perform in mid to heavy snow on a 1025r.

Thanks all!

#2 ·
just my 2cts-but where u live at--me-i'dl go for the blower. if u go for the blade ur gonna run out of room to push ur snow. IMO.

#3 ·
There are a few members here that are in the same or similar lake snow zones. They will chime in I am sure.

For heavy snow a blower can’t be beat I feel. With a plow on the chassis (not on the loader) you will soon have piles of snow that will turn into concrete. With a blower you are getting the snow away from the edges of the driveway.

An important factor in the decision is if you have a paved driveway or gravel/dirt.

Buy it right and buy it once.

#4 ·
An important factor in the decision is if you have a paved driveway or gravel/dirt.
Paved the whole way

There are a few members here that are in the same or similar lake snow zones. They will chime in I am sure.

For heavy snow a blower can’t be beat I feel. With a plow on the chassis (not on the loader) you will soon have piles of snow that will turn into concrete. With a blower you are getting the snow away from the edges of the driveway.

Buy it right and buy it once.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. If Deere had a loader mounted (quick switch) plow like the Orange fellas do, then I'd be a bit more inclined to go with a blade.

#5 ·
I agree with Stan and BigJim, where you are, I'd get the blower. I plow but I also don't get the lake effect you do. :good2:

#6 ·
I moved from Syracuse to Rochester. I had a 47 blower on my x758 - that thing was awesome - never lost traction, I had no weight on the back of the machine and just the stock HDAP tires did awesome. It moved snow like a beast, I used to do my neighbors' driveways because of how effective it was.

Get the blower - moving parts, yes, but it moves the snow effortlessly and then you're not scraping up your yard or running out of room when the big one hits.

How long is your driveway? If it's not that long, maybe consider any cat 1 3 pt hitch snowblower? Theyre a lot cheaper, many more manufacturer options too! If it's a long driveway, my neck is cramping up thinking about cranking my head around for very long to look behind me. Just read more of your post - YEAH, get the snowblower, that's a lot of snow to push into a pile! And get the front mounted blower. I would suggest getting the biggest one they have. It will save you time. Which Landpro office you dealing with?

Are you considering a cab at all? There are soft and hard cab options, some can be had in the 800-1000 range, then the hard ones can be up in the 3-4-5k range

#8 · (Edited)
I moved from Syracuse to Rochester. I had a 47 blower on my x758 - that thing was awesome - never lost traction, I had no weight on the back of the machine and just the stock HDAP tires did awesome. It moved snow like a beast, I used to do my neighbors' driveways because of how effective it was.
You say used to... what machine did you move to? In addition to my driveway, I do 4 neighbors as well (all similarly sized).

Get the blower - moving parts, yes, but it moves the snow effortlessly and then you're not scraping up your yard or running out of room when the big one hits.

How long is your driveway? If it's not that long, maybe consider any cat 1 3 pt hitch snowblower? Theyre a lot cheaper, many more manufacturer options too! If it's a long driveway, my neck is cramping up thinking about cranking my head around for very long to look behind me. Just read more of your post - YEAH, get the snowblower, that's a lot of snow to push into a pile! And get the front mounted blower. I would suggest getting the biggest one they have. It will save you time. Which Landpro office you dealing with?
Brockport office, it's where I picked up my x324 as well. I'm actually a bit frustrated with what they're offering me on trade, I'm headed in to discuss the issue with them. This all may be a moot point if they can't stand behind a machine they sold 2 years ago.

Are you considering a cab at all? There are soft and hard cab options, some can be had in the 800-1000 range, then the hard ones can be up in the 3-4-5k range
Probably not to start. I'd love it, but I plan on mowing with it too. It looks like a bit too much effort to pull the cab off for the summer. I've got a good set of Carhartts to keep me warm as it is now. Besides, the boss will only accept so much of a monthly payment for a "...giant toy..." :kidw_truck_smiley:

#11 ·
Hmm Rochester? Is moving to Florida an option?...No?:hide: Than if I lived there, I would go for sure with the blower:cheers:

#12 ·
I have both due to the fact we get both wet and fluffy snow along with some big drifts, so I like to have options. As many stated they do make a blade for the loader. Sounds like a blower would help you most and then maybe get a back blade for the wet stuff.

#13 · (Edited)
The thing to note about the blade they make tho, is that it is made for small amounts of snow...The opposite of what Rochester gets:thumbup1gif:
For small snow removal and other chores,

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55
#15 ·
I am down in Chautauqua County, but live in an area that isn’t consistently tagged by lake effect. We do get our fair share though. I have all paved surfaces and run a 47” front blower and a 60” rear blade on my 1 series. It is a great combination. If you have plenty or room and are getting a loader, a plow would be fine, as you could move the piles. We like our blower. I do not think you can go wrong with either a plow or blower. I’m sure if you look around your area, you’ll see plenty of people plowing and plenty of people with blowers and everybody seems to be getting by.

#16 ·
I have been using a blower on a 455 for years right now I have to plow because the new place is not paved yet, with that said
when we had a blizzard my blower out performed 4 wheel drive plow trucks and never lost parking space . I cant wait to snow blow with my 1026r next year.

#17 ·
Thanks all. I think you’ve all convinced me :). Now I just need to either: convince the dealer to give me a blower for Free or convince the Boss that we should upgrade the existing setup. Not sure which will be harder.

#20 ·
It’s Christmas so buy yourself a snowblower as a gift to your wife. Sure beats his and hers snow shovels.

All kidding aside the snowblower is the only answer in Western NY off Lake Ontario. I lived here for 45 years and the 1023E with the 54” snowblower is the only cure for the dumps of white stuff that ends up in my driveway. When the white stuff is two to four feet deep and drifted in a blade would be a joke.

#18 ·
Yeah, you want a blower. The downside to having both a blower and a blade is that they are not easily inter-changeable. I don't have either, but from what I have read you would have to remove the loader to use the blower, and if you wanted to use a plow, you would have to remove the blower and reinstall the loader. Sounds like a PITA to me.

#23 ·
Not really. I run with a 54" blower on the front and a 60" blade on the rear. I then use whichever is best for the conditions at hand.

#42 · (Edited)
Agreed. I'll be 63 in January, so I'm no spring chicken. I've had my share of back and neck issues yet I find that it's not that big of a deal to turn to the side enough to see the side of my rear mounted SB1164. You don't have to turn 90° to see...sitting slightly sideways in the seat works for me. And I have a mirror mounted on the FEL for when I don't want to turn. Regardless of how much time is spent working forward you still have to have the ability to see/work behind you. In my situation, having the ability to switch back and forth between my bucket/snow pusher/forks w/o the need to remove a blower far outweighs the minor inconvenience of having to turn around to blow snow.

In the end, the decision is a personal issue with neither front nor rear being right nor wrong.

#21 ·
I'm also in an area of "lake effect" snows. I'm 30 to 40 miles from the south shore of Lake Superior, depending on where on the lake. I went with the 47" blower when I bought my tractor. If I had to do it over again, I would have spent the extra $$ and got the 54". The only reason being that the extra width might make for cleaner curves on the driveway. With the 47" blower, the rear tires can ride into the just blown edges in a curve. Last year, I bought the 54" blade for the lighter snows. It' a pretty easy and quick swap between the two.

For as much snow as we get in the winter, I still have my 24" 5hp walk behind blower. It gets lots of use. It might snow 3 days straight, but not at a fast rate. A walk behind lets me get some exercise too...

You know...... It's only money, and we're here to help you spend it like there's no tomorrow!!!! :gizmo: :gizmo: :gizmo: might as well get both now.

Property Land lot Real estate Tree Aerial photography

Snow Winter Home House Property

Snow Winter Freezing Ice Geological phenomenon

#24 ·
Get the front 54” blower and the quick hitch blade. Once you buy the blower and quick hitch, the blade and angle kit only cost you about $650. I use both here in Maine. I use the blower 80% of the time, but it doesn’t work real well in March and April when you get the slushy stuff.

I can’t image using a back blower for a long time. I used a 3 point post hole digger to drill about 30 holes last summer, and my neck was sore as heck when I was finished.

Changing from quick hitch blower to blade takes 10 minutes or less. Take off the blower and 2 hoses, move the angle pin on the quick hitch, then hook on the blade and 2 hoses.

If you use the front blower, then changing to the FEL is a pain in the A (especially when it is 20 degrees out). You have to remove everything to put on the FEL.

And also get an OTC cab. It will run you about $1,300 with lights and wiper, but it sure beats sitting out in the cold.

#25 · (Edited)
Get the front 54” blower and the quick hitch blade.
This is what I did. Depending on the amount and nature of the snow, one of these tools will be far superior to the other.

Many snows demand the use of both. I sometimes start with the blower to clear the big chunks and then switch to the blade for fine cleanup. I redesigned the hydraulic connections on the front to facilitate quick change-outs between the blower and the blade. I can switch either way in less than 5 minutes. It would be even faster if I didn't have a linear actuator for the chute angle.

The blade can also be used to grade dirt during landscape work.

#26 ·
Well, I don't live in upstate NY, but I am familiar with where you live. You are going to want a snow blower, at least for some snows. If you get a snow blower, get the 54". The 47" isn't wide enough, especially when turning.

Now, for many snows, the blade will actually work better.

In my area, I actually use my front mount broom for the snows up to about 3" which is by far the best snow removing tool for the lessor amounts of snow.

If you only want one snow removal attachment, then the 54" front mount snow blower is probably the ONE that will be the best option, considering where you live.

#27 ·
If you only want one snow removal attachment, then the 54" front mount snow blower is probably the ONE that will be the best option, considering where you live.

That's a good point. My blower is going into it's 11th winter. I only added the rear blade a couple of winters ago. Until then, it was only the blower no matter the type or amount of snow, and I had no issues. The rear blade was added to mainly clean up the driveway at the road so I didn't keep pushing road salt through the blower.

#28 ·
I too live in a lake effect snow area and have a 1025r with the 54" snow blower. I had to make the same decision when I bought it. I have a 140' paved driveway and also some trails over grass I maintain. So glad I went with the blower. It works great on both. I just keep the shoes down a little so I don't dig into the grass.

#29 ·
SNOW Equipment

I have a rear blade with an hydraulic angel, LOVE it Glad I spent that money. I also have the front quick hitch and have the option of the front blade or snowthrower. My option every time is the snowthrower I don't even think about putting the front blade on.

I use the back blade to clean the sidewalk up to the front door onto my drive way and either the back blade it or snowthrow it away. I had 11 inches last year for the first snowfall and played around quite a bit that day with the set up. Fell in love with rear blade and snowthrower on front.

Attachments

#31 ·
I have a 1000 foot gravel driveway that's on an incline, and had to use 2" screened gravel because the 3/4" crushed was too expensive and didn't hold up as well. So I went with a blade. It was fine for a while, until the monster snow storm that hit NY last year. I spent four days digging out with a loader (see my avatar pic), and the drifts kept burying what I did each morning. Never again.

This year I have a 54" front mounted blower (I like my neck, it holds up my face and does other useful things). I lowered the shoes all the way down so as not to turn it into a stone machinegun. That will leave about an inch of snow on the ground.

I'm thinking of running a box blade behind me, and lifting it when it gets full. That will leave little snow mounds behind me as I go. Then I can blow those on the way back. Do you guys thing that will work well, or should I get a back blade?

#33 ·
I have a 1000 foot gravel driveway that's on an incline, and had to use 2" screened gravel because the 3/4" crushed was too expensive and didn't hold up as well. So I went with a blade. It was fine for a while, until the monster snow storm that hit NY last year. I spent four days digging out with a loader (see my avatar pic), and the drifts kept burying what I did each morning. Never again.

This year I have a 54" front mounted blower (I like my neck, it holds up my face and does other useful things). I lowered the shoes all the way down so as not to turn it into a stone machinegun. That will leave about an inch of snow on the ground.

I'm thinking of running a box blade behind me, and lifting it when it gets full. That will leave little snow mounds behind me as I go. Then I can blow those on the way back. Do you guys thing that will work well, or should I get a back blade?
You likely will use the box blade or the rear blade in the summer also for dealing with your gravel.

The back blade would be helpful for dragging away from buildings, etc where you really can't get that close with the blower or where your throwing options are limited. I think I would go with the back blade, but go at least 5' wide and put a rubber edge on the blade to reduce tearing up sod, etc. when you are pushing snow with it.

You can also spin the back blade around and push snow with it as well. You may want to consider adding the Artillian 3 point hitch to your FEL plate (also from Artillian) and use the back blade on your FEL in the summer for grading without turning around.......:good2:

#32 ·
Basically, I would and DO own both the plow and the blower. I STRONGLY would suggest you do the same. Keep in mind if you are financing your purchase through Deere's 0% finance deal, the monthly payment is $16.67 per thousand dollars financed for the 60 months. So, adding $4,000 to have the blower and the blade and the attachment and drive pieces only increases the monthly payment by less than $70 per month.....

Adding the snow plow blade to the purchase once you have the snowblower, front hitch and drive kit costs about $800 or less as the blade is about $600 and the angling cylinder and lines are about another $190. So, if you buy the blower, you can add the snow plow blade for about $15 per month in your payment....... To have the flexibility and freedom, it's money well spent.

Plus, if you have a problem with the blower (which happens), you can swap on the blade in about 2 minutes and keep plowing snow. Go for both as you will likely use both and find a time and conditions when you prefer one over the other........

I too live in a lake affect snow area which makes the snow very unpredictable. Personally, I strongly prefer plowing snow to blowing snow but when you are making an investment of this caliber, it's wise to give yourself alternatives and a back up plan. As I described above, you can do that for very little in the monthly payment. And changing from the blower to the blade is very easy and takes just a couple of minutes. You won't regret having both, I never have.................

Regardless of whether you go with the blade or blower, make sure the dealer sells you a 3 point hitch ballast box. You need it for traction and to safely operate the tractor. Many dealers overlook this for some reason and frankly, it's a mistake and a major safety issue, especially is you are going to purchase the front end loader, which I would also strongly encourage. If you purchase a front end loader, buy a set of pallet forks, they are the greatest implement ever for these tractors and you will use them like you never imagined........

See how the $13,000 tractor can add up in a hurry if you aren't careful and listen to those of us who own these great machines.....:laugh::lol::lolol:

#34 ·
To the original poster of this thread. Just tell "The Boss" that it's what's called the "Snow Removal Package" and that includes both the Snow Blower and the Snow Plow blade and tell her the combined price. :laugh:

I do know that I would NOT want a rear mounted blower, regardless of the price savings. No way I am going to be turning around to operate a blower for any length of time. I have a rear camera in my cab and I still wouldn't want a 3 point hitch blower. I guess That's part of what makes the world go around.......:good2:

#35 ·
Thanks all for the experienced input! I think at this point I will probably shoot for the "Snow Removal Package" that includes The Blower, Blade and 10 Caret diamond earrings. Maybe JD and Kay should team up on that 0%, it'd definitely help keep me out of the doghouse.... then again, with a new rig, I could supercharge that doghouse....:good2:

#36 · (Edited)
#37 ·
this photo I think saws why I like a blower

this was a bad storm that plow trucks had a terrible time with not me 2 wd 455

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.