Green Tractor Talk banner

advice on a used 2305

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bassman2155 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, new to the forums here. I am considering purchasing a used 2305, with loader, 62" deck and rear bagger MC519. The tractor has 520 hours on it (is this asking for trouble? lower hours?) . I will be moving from a 20 year LX178 that doesn't work anymore. This is a large jump and I would like some opinions or thoughts. The investment makes me nervous but know I will use it a lot (3 acres to deal with)
Eventually would like to have tiller, box blade, log splitter attachments
Thanks in advance for any advice
Tim

#2 ·
You might want to look into a new 1025r. When I was shopping 3 years ago, I was looking at used 2305's, but the 0% financing for 72 months made it a no brainer to get a new 1026r and attachments, and leave my money in the bank.

Reactions: Levi
#3 ·
I had a 2010 2305 that I used for a few years mowing and blowing snow. Bought it from a private party with 50 hours and put a few hundred hours on it over the next few seasons. Simple, rugged, reliable machine. Never had an issue as nothing ever failed on it. The 54C or 62C decks aren't up to the new 54D or 62D decks as far as construction quality or cut is concerned but they'll do the job. The 200CX loader is a heavier design than the H120 used on the new 1 Series. I would try to get a later 2305 as durability improvements were incorporated into the rear PTO. The trans is a fan cooled design. The plastic fan is susceptible to breakage if using the machine in the woods. The hydro filter also hangs fairly low under the machine. It could be damaged as well. An aftermarket shroud is available to protect the fan & filter. The only reason I upgraded to the 2320 is because of the larger tires. Was interested in smoothing out the ride while mowing. It cost me $0.00 to use my 2305 for over 300 hours as I got all my money back when I sold it. The new 1 Series are more refined and have some comfort features over the 2305. Not so sure that the durability is better than the 2305 though.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and RandyM
#4 ·
Welcome,
The 520 hours is nothing on a well maintained machine. But like SGS stated above that series did have some shortcomings in the HST cooling fan and rear PTO housing.

Is this a private sale or from a dealer?

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks

Wow guys thanks for the info. I have read a bunch about the rear pto failures and that makes me nervous with the investment. I don't have any woods everything is grass and tons of leaves from about 10 trees on the property. The sale would be from a dealer. I am kinda set at a price so going new would be out of the family budget. I will def research to see what kind of costs I'm looking at tho.
Thanks again for the input!!

#7 ·
Wow guys thanks for the info. I have read a bunch about the rear pto failures and that makes me nervous with the investment. I don't have any woods everything is grass and tons of leaves from about 10 trees on the property. The sale would be from a dealer. I am kinda set at a price so going new would be out of the family budget. I will def research to see what kind of costs I'm looking at tho.
Thanks again for the input!!
I believe that the rear PTO issues were sorted out by the 2009 model year 2305's. You could check the serial number and that should allow you to determine what year machine you're considering. 520 hours with routine maintenance is nothing to worry about. As Coaltrain mentioned get under the tractor and check the front and rear driveshaft u-joints for evidence of fresh grease or rust residue. This should confirm whether the machine was maintained.........or not.

#8 ·
I have a 1026r love it. Tractor Agricultural machinery Vehicle Grass Lawn

With other attachments not pictured boxblade , sprayer, tooth bar on fel and Ken bolt on hooks on fel

Reactions: Levi
#9 ·
I've not had the 2305 but I did have the one before it. 2210, at least I think it was before it. I don't think you would have anything to worry about the 2305 you're looking at if it was maintained right. With the hours you mentioned it's just getting broke in. Although I liked my 2210, I have no regrets trading up to the 1026. The one thing for me is the 3 point arms are longer giving more room back there. The fan that was mentioned is another and the list goes on. But if the price is right and it's been maintained right, I wouldn't be scared of it. I did have to replace the one drive shaft because I didn't know about getting to the one spot on it to grease it. Out of site out of mind kind of thing. 'Course I did break the trans. but that was my fault. Nothing wrong with the engine at 10 years old and 1200 hours on it. Good luck...

#11 ·
I got my 2305 in 2007 and have 140 hours on it now. No issues with reliability. No smoking or hard starting issues either. I'm happy with the machine. There are some things I'd like to improve, but not deal breakers. (dual brakes would have been nice; a bit better FEL flows so it curls and lifts at the same time but it is fast enough). I have the backhoe attachment and the swiveling seat is a real PITA. I am working on lubing the drive shaft to keep it from failing but no issues so far. Look underneath the tractor and try wiggling the shaft on the engine side to see if it is loose. Also, I've had no problems with the plastic fan but have a look when you're peeking underneath to see if it is broken. I'll build a filter guard sometime but no denting of the filter to date so nothing has hit it so not that much of a problem IMO. I did leave the flashers on once; it killed the battery and also caused a diode to fail (volts drop and amps go up higher than the amp rating of the diode) which was tough to find but thanks to this forum I repaired it. I am amazed how much I can lift with the FEL. The front tires seem small and undersized but I have never had a problem because of them. I don't use the PTO's so no problems there. I run chains on it all the time on all 4 wheels. I don't run it in 4X4 unless I need it.
I'm happy with the size of the tractor. Of there are times when larger would be nicer - but that is always a trade off.

#12 · (Edited)
I bought a 200hr 2009 2305 last spring (supposedly the better transmission year). 2 weeks into my ownership, I discovered a catastrophic transmission issue (huge crack leaking fluid on TOP of tranny).... Neither my dealer nor JD had seen anything like it. I had never used the rear PTO.

JD was not willing to do anything and dealer wasn't willing to fix it because of cost to them. I didn't see their cost as my problem, nor did I care. If it would have been looked over, someone should have found this... After about 2 months of aggravation and hassle, I ended up with my 1023e, but had to toss in a bit more cash since it had no loader. I'm also pretty sure I only got what I got because my FIL buys a new combine at the dealership every couple years.... I'd NEVER have another 2305, even though I liked it better than my 1023 in many ways. Others will disagree.

Sorry to complicate your decision with my negativity. I'm sure part of my review is the fact that I felt like JD and my dealer were screwing me over

One other comment I forgot. If this is at a dealer, be skeptical if they say "It was a local trade. All they did was mow with it and use for light work." I was told the same. My dealer wouldn't come down a dime on mine because "I can sell it a hundred times for the price..." Never brought it up after problems, but I'm guessing he regretted that comment. If private party, be even more cautious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.