Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Tractor Storage Outside

1. Top | #61

Last Online
    09-20-2014 @ 07:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FormulaB View Post
    My advice, if outside, store on the patio, not the grass, which gives off Oxygen at night and can make rust happen faster.
    Worth storing inside? Tractors retain well over 50% of their value in 10 years of taken care of..cars, about 20%
    I don't know about oxygen (green plants would actually give off CO2 in the absence of light), but I do know it gives off a lot of moisture. Speaking from experience, ANY vehicle my friends or I have stored outside in grass has started rusting underneath rather quickly.

A neighbor of mine has too much junk and not enough space (well, okay, I do too) and he parks stuff on rough cut chunks of wood over a gravel area. It keeps things out of the water, and isn't as damp as grass. He then covers the vehicles with a heavy tarp that wraps underneath a good bit as well. His stuff seems to hold up pretty good with this method. I am lucky enough to be able to fit my 2520 in a polebarn.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #62
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    That is an interesting point about storing on the grass. I know that steel tends to rust quicker when stored on the grass but I always attributed it to the moisture trapped in the grass but the concentration of oxygen is interesting.

As far as green plants giving off CO2 at night I'm not sure about, but they feed on it during the day and spew oxygen back into the atmosphere for us to breath. A marvelous process photosynthesis, splitting H2O into H and O, using the H to create food for the plant and O for us. .
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R with H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter LP25001 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

Doug, aka Carvel Loafer

4. Top | #63

Last Online
    10-27-2013 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    Although tractors are built for outside use...and most spend their lives outside, I keep mine in a garage 95% of the time. Less weathering of the paint and such...and much less risk of theft.

5. Top | #64
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    Could it be? The RoyJackson is a member of GTT, the RoyJackson from over there.....?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, CX 4x2 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. Top | #65
    Last Online
    10-07-2014 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks

Garage in a box

Anyone have experience with ShelterLogic's Garage in a box storage tents? They make a few different levels of durability, and many different styles. Basically I wonder how long the covers last for the 400-500$ units.
    2012 JD 1026R
    H120/49" FEL, 260BH/12", 2048L BB, 3PH Receiver, Piranha Toothbar, Rimguard'd R4s, 3PH Custom Ballast. Custom JDQA Multipurpose Forks, Multi-mount Grapple, ROPS LED's, Frame mount receivers , Backhoe dolly

Mods in progress: BH thumb, 3PH boom, 3PH subsoiler, man-lift cage

7. Top | #66

Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshaft View Post
    Anyone have experience with ShelterLogic's Garage in a box storage tents? They make a few different levels of durability, and many different styles. Basically I wonder how long the covers last for the 400-500$ units.
    I've heard really good things about the heavier duty ones. Specifically, they hold up very well to heavy snow. The lighter duty ones seem to be "common enough" that they should do a reasonable job in more "moderate" use scenarios (meaning more about protecting against rain than lots of heavy snow).

One thing that I did hear about them in general is that you have to do your diligence in terms of preparing the area for setup and then doing whatever you can to ward off critters. Frogs are apparently common because of the moisture that tends to collect around the base. If you have the means to put one over something like a cement slab, I would imagine you would get a pretty good setup.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

Goldwing Project

8. Top | #67

Last Online
    11-29-2013 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks
    If something that was designed to mow, landscape, plow, till and work as a piece of machinery can't tolerate being stored in the conditions it will be used in, I don't want it.

My three tractors stay outside. I have had the '66 Bolens and the '59 Bolens for four years, and they still light up first turn of the key. yes they are weathered, and cosmetically they don't look new, but guess what? They were purchased for use, and are used.

My x304 stays outside. the attachments stay outside. I mow, tow carts, lawn roll, aerate, till, grade, box blade, plow snow, and just about anything else I can think of to use it for, and it lights up at the turn of the key. It's a 2006, and the seat was ripped when I got it. The thing is, I got it to use it, not to baby it and treat it like fragile collectors' item - it's not. If it can't be stored in the same sun, rain and snow that I use it in, I don't need something so delicate.

My motorcycle stays outside in the summer - It's a dualsport - think street legal dirtbike. If it can't take sun and rain, the same sun and rain I ride it in, I don't need something that fragile.

The main thing to make toys last, is maintenance. just because I don't keep things indoors, doesn't mean they won't last. I grease my tractors often, and even undercoat them with fluid film. I have weather-proofed the electrical connections, and I don't believe that faded green and yellow paint hinder performance one bit.

Your Mileage may vary, but this is how I roll.

9. Top | #68
    Last Online
    06-11-2014 @ 02:22 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshaft View Post
    My new 1026r is due to be delivered tomorrow, so I've been looking into temporary storage. The shelter logic "garage in a box" is something I've been considering, but I'm not sure I can trust it through the winter... But they are cheap and available at tractor supply...

10. Top | #69

Last Online
    06-29-2013 @ 06:34 AM
    Thanks

outside

My 755 (from July 1987) has been outside its entire life. Keep it lubed, use the right seasonal fuel, give it a warm-up with a salamander when the transmission fluid is just too stiff, run it periodically in cold weather whether you need to use it or not...it will take it. My mid-mount mower, that has a few patches welded onto it, but hey...a nice tractor shed would have been nice, but the lot size and configuration just didn't work.

11. Top | #70

Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks

Red face

I found a pretty good article about tractor maintenance that might be able to help provide you with storage tips. Good Luck!

21 Ways to Maximize The Life of Your John Deere Machine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisgrains For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (10-09-2012)

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast