Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Creekpaddler

Thread: 5225 power reverse shifter stopped working - tractor won't move

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-31-2014 @ 10:16 AM
    Thanks

5225 power reverse shifter stopped working - tractor won't move

Yesterday my 5225 stopped moving forward while I was mowing my lawn. I could get it to move a few feet in both directions for about a minute before it would stop. Then I'd change direction, it would move a few feet again, then it stopped moving completely. When I put the shifter lever into Neutral, the "N" (neutral) light on the display panel had gone out. The engine runs fine.
    Has anybody had this experience and/or have tips for troubleshooting this?
    2006 JD 5225 MFWD with JD 542 FEL & bucket; 6' rotary mower; 6' box blade; 7' grading blade; 6' finish mower
    1997 JD F925 diesel 72" mower
    1993 JD LX188 lawn tractor with rear ATV tires & trailer

2. # ADS
    GTT News

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Thanks
    There are a lot of possibilities for reverser not moving. Since you have no N light, I would check for blown fuses. The reverser fuses are mounted under the steering column, on top of the hump. Also, I would check under the tractor for any loose wires. It is possible a stick or something could have caught a wire and torn it or pulled a connector loose. The seat switch also has to be operating properly for the reverser to work. The reverser lever itself could be bad, the control box, pressure sensor, clutch pedal sensor are all possibilities also.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

5225 power reverse shifter not working - now more things have stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    There are a lot of possibilities for reverser not moving. Since you have no N light, I would check for blown fuses. The reverser fuses are mounted under the steering column, on top of the hump. Also, I would check under the tractor for any loose wires. It is possible a stick or something could have caught a wire and torn it or pulled a connector loose. The seat switch also has to be operating properly for the reverser to work. The reverser lever itself could be bad, the control box, pressure sensor, clutch pedal sensor are all possibilities also.
    Thanks for those tips. This is becoming more interesting: Last night I started the engine so I could check the instrument display. I found that several things no longer work:
    Tachometer: no reading; the MFWD light does not come on when the switch is moved to ON; and both the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge do not work. I let engine idle for about 10 minutes and the temp needle never moved (air temp was 39 degrees F). All of those lights and gauges worked before the power reverser quit working. The headlights, tail lights, and dashboard light still work.
    So this is looking like an electrical problem. What would cause those lights/gauges to stop working? Could it be the alternator? Or is it something else?
    2006 JD 5225 MFWD with JD 542 FEL & bucket; 6' rotary mower; 6' box blade; 7' grading blade; 6' finish mower

5. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    All the fuses check out, as do the relays behind the dash. And I have power to all dashboard warning lights and gauges.

My JD dealer gave me a wiring diagram which shows a ground wire coming off one of the relays. I will check that wire as well as another ground wire attached to the negative battery terminal.

6. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Wink Problem solved

The problem has been solved! And it was a blown fuse: the 10-amp F18 at fuse-block location 26 did not appear to be blown when I first checked it. But yesterday I decided to look at the fuses again and I found it. After I replaced it the power reverser, gauges, and warning lights work just fine.
    CobraDriver likes this.

7. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 921 Posts

Thumbs up Thanks for the update!

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting mild restoration

8. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekpaddler View Post
    The problem has been solved! And it was a blown fuse: the 10-amp F18 at fuse-block location 26 did not appear to be blown when I first checked it. But yesterday I decided to look at the fuses again and I found it. After I replaced it the power reverser, gauges, and warning lights work just fine.
    Great!

This just proves the point that you cannot "look" at fuses to check them. You MUST use a volt and/or ohm meter.
    -John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 AWS w/60" MMM
    -John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Bolt on Grab Hooks are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

9. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 921 Posts
    Good point Kenny.

As a good rule of thumb, one should always remove them from the circuit as well. Some fuses, depending on the circuit, can read good installed when in fact they are not.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

2720 w/ 62D MMM w/independent lift, 200CX FEL, iMatch Q/H, Ballast Box, Box Blade
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting mild restoration

10. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Question Fuse blew again

Well, it happened again! The 10-amp mini-fuse #F18 blew last Saturday while I was mowing light grass with my Sitrex 3-PH mower. I'd used the tractor for only 2-3 hours since I first changed that fuse. This time I knew what to replace. But I sure would like to fix whatever is causing the fuse to blow. Here is what is on that circuit:
    power-reverse shifter; neutral-position light; temp gauge; fuel gauge; tachometer; hour meter; speedometer; dashboard warning lights; MFWD light; PTO light.

11. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Eastern New York State-Mohawk Valley Region
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekpaddler View Post
    Well, it happened again! The 10-amp mini-fuse #F18 blew last Saturday while I was mowing light grass with my Sitrex 3-PH mower. I'd used the tractor for only 2-3 hours since I first changed that fuse. This time I knew what to replace. But I sure would like to fix whatever is causing the fuse to blow. Here is what is on that circuit:
    power-reverse shifter; neutral-position light; temp gauge; fuel gauge; tachometer; hour meter; speedometer; dashboard warning lights; MFWD light; PTO light.
    Before I would tear into the electrical system, I'd check with your John Deere dealer for any reported problems/issues such as you're experiencing. From your description it would appear that F18 is a 12v feeder/enabler circuit..finding a possible short may take some time. But if you get the correct wiring diagram/schematic, patience and a "meter" is all you'll need.