• 1 Post By acthornton1
  • 1 Post By acthornton1

Thread: 7210 Powrquad rebuild issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-31-2017 @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks

Angry 7210 Powrquad rebuild issues

Hello, first time on this forum. I've been searching through the forum for similar posts but haven't had any luck, but to give a clear picture I'll try to describe what's wrong as best as I can. To start off, our 7210 tractor had lost all forward gears but reverse gears were still working fine. After draining the oil, I found lots of metal in the oil so I began to split the tractor. After I started going through the tranny I found out that some of the clutch disks had broken and stripped in one of the clutch housings, along with some worn out gears. Assuming that the metal that I found could have contaminated the rest of the transmission I tore it down to just the case. I replaced seals, all friction disks and steels, gaskets, sun gears, removed the front and bottom valve/shift bodies, mostly anything that should be replaced during a rebuild.

Now, after putting the tractor back together and filling with oil, I put the tractor back in gear and began to move forward. However, 1,2,3,4 speeds will not work as when you move the lever, it will not shift and the tractor has no power whatsoever. Shifting between A,B,C,D there is no speed change, C and D will eventually stop moving the tractor altogether due to the lack of power. Its so, bad that it wouldn't back up the small slope back into the shop and you could hear a faint whine while it was still trying to back up. Both filters were replaced before the tractor was filled up with oil. Hopefully I'll have a pressure gauge made today so I can check the transmission pressure. I'm curious as if one of the problems could be in one of the valve bodies, as maybe something may be causing a valve to hang up. I don't know if it was suppose to or not but the input shaft would turn somewhat freely after I had put the transmission back together and while attached on the differential. This is my first transmission but the disappointment was horrible when I realized that it wasn't working right. Any help or ideas on what to look for is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Lots of possibilities. Since it has same problem forward and reverse, I doubt it is a valve unless it is the clutch valve. That could affect all gears forward and reverse. Other possibilities could be transmission pump, a gasket not sealing in one of the valve bodies, incorrectly assembled or sticking pressure regulating valve, etc. You need to check pressures on all clutches and lube pressure to track it down. Another possibility is a suction leak at the suction tube going to the transmission pump.
    DRobinson likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks in advance, I had a pressure gauge made. Checking the pressures at the two fittings underneath the front at 1000 rpm, system pressure was about 200 psi, however the lube pressure was almost next to 0 . I'm not seeing the specs for lube or system pressure in the repair manual at least not yet so I'm not sure what they are, do you happen to know them? Also how do you check the pressures in all the clutches.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure if this will help but onelonelyfarmer on youtube did a 6200 powerquad rebuild series. very interesting.

One thing i just thought of- did you soak the new clutch disks in hydro oil BEFORE you installed them? I have heard that if you fail to do this, the friction material comes right off the disk- rendering it useless.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, I dipped them in hydraulic oil before reinstalling but I will definitely check out that video on youtube.
    johnH123 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Also, talked to a john deere technician and he said pressure specs were 300 psi on system, and 60 psi on lube, so somewhere I'm losing pressure.
    DRobinson likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements