1990 JD 4560 Overheating only when plowing?
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By johnlim123
  • 2 Post By coaltrain
  • 3 Post By Superglidesport
  • 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 3 Post By jd110
  • 1 Post By CADplans

Thread: 1990 JD 4560 Overheating only when plowing?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-12-2017 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks

1990 JD 4560 Overheating only when plowing?

ok i got a 4560 only overheating when i plow over 1500 RPMS or when outside temp is over 85 degrees. my mechanic thought it was the fan clutch Velocity something. Asked the dealership for their opinion and he said its possible. But he also said it could just be a sensor. But id ont think so cause it doesnt do it everytime but only when its hot or i am plowing. So JD dealership wanted $724 for a new one found used one online for $220 plus shipping. Replaced that still same issue.. what do you guys think it is? what would be the next step?
    pcabe5 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlim123 View Post
    ok i got a 4560 only overheating when i plow over 1500 RPMS or when outside temp is over 85 degrees. my mechanic thought it was the fan clutch Velocity something. Asked the dealership for their opinion and he said its possible. But he also said it could just be a sensor. But id ont think so cause it doesnt do it everytime but only when its hot or i am plowing. So JD dealership wanted $724 for a new one found used one online for $220 plus shipping. Replaced that still same issue.. what do you guys think it is? what would be the next step?
    Did it you check the coolant level and condition?

The fan is probably driven by a belt. Make sure it is in good shape. If it is original I'd replace it. Either way make sure it is tight enough. If it is slipping that could be your problem.

When you turn a good clutch fan by hand it should have some resistance. It shouldn't have any side to side movement. You should also be able to hear the fan moving the air with the engine running. It will only do this when cold (just after you start it the first time) or if it's hot enough.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,313 Posts
    This is going to have to be a process of elimination.

First, as stated above, is the coolant level OK? Are all the intake screens for the radiator clean? Is the radiator itself clean from dust and debris?

I would then be looking at a flow restriction somewhere. I don't know if your engine has a coolant filter, but if it does then change it.

Next would be the possibility of the thermostat not opening fully - I would change that next.

Failing all that, next would be to get the radiator tested for proper flow to be sure there were no restrictions in it.

That's all I can think of that would cause over heating only when under a heavy load. There has to be a restriction to the coolant flow somewhere.
    pcabe5 and Superglidesport like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 998 Posts
    All good recommendations so far. Always check the easy stuff first.

• Coolant Level?
    • Fan Belt & Tension? Replace the belt if glazed.
    • Correct Belt? Length, Width and Pitch?
    • Check for worn pulleys. Yup. Worn pulleys. The back side of the belt should stand proud of the pulley groove and never bottom-out.
    • Thermostat might be bad. Cheap fix. May also be stuck open and not allowing the coolant to shed heat in the radiator.
    • Coolant filter restricted as was mentioned?
    • You can also check for flow in the radiator using an infra-red heat gun. Cold spots indicate restricted flow due to deposits.
    • Used-replacement thermostatic fan clutch may be bad?

Good luck with your trouble-shooting
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 06-12-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks

One more

Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    All good recommendations so far. Always check the easy stuff first.

• Coolant Level?
    • Fan Belt & Tension? Replace the belt if glazed.
    • Correct Belt? Length, Width and Pitch?
    • Check for worn pulleys. Yup. Worn pulleys. The back side of the belt should stand proud of the pulley groove and never bottom-out.
    • Thermostat might be bad. Cheap fix. May also be stuck open and not allowing the coolant to shed heat in the radiator.
    • Coolant filter restricted as was mentioned?
    • You can also check for flow in the radiator using an infra-red heat gun. Cold spots indicate restricted flow due to deposits.
    • Used-replacement thermostatic fan clutch may be bad?

Good luck with your trouble-shooting
    You might have said this but the coolant itself should be checked. Generally a 50/50 mix removes heat better than either straight water or pure antifreeze.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5 and Superglidesport like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks
    All good advice but I can't put enough emphasis on making sure the radiator core and oil cooler/condenser is clean and you are getting good air flow through the radiator. Remove the side screen when engine is hot and run at full throttle. Place your hand in front of the oil cooler and see if you can feel strong air flow going through all the way around the cooler. I am betting there is significant blockage especially around the center area. They can appear clean at a casual glance but have dirt embedded in the fins. remove the hood and slide the oil cooler to the side and really look deep into the fins of the oil cooler and radiator. The best way to clean them is a high pressure washer. You need to be sure to direct the water straight through the fins to prevent bending the fins over and having that block air flow. You will probably be surprised at how much dirt can be washed out of it.
    pcabe5, Superglidesport and em14 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks
    I used to moldboard plow with a 4630,, very similar tractor size.

I could make the tractor overheat, on demand, by doing one of two things.
    1) drop the plow slightly,, the extra pull would overheat the tractor.
    2) shift up a gear,, the tractor could pull the plow,, but it would overheat.

In neither case did the tractor sound like it was even laboring.

The same was true for the 820, 4020, and 930 Case,,
    they all had more engine than cooling capacity.
    We plowed with all of them,, at some time.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements