• 2 Post By Tx Jim
  • 3 Post By JLWelding

Thread: Newer Tractors Ride Rough

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-24-2017 @ 06:26 PM
    Thanks

Newer Tractors Ride Rough

Ok I am a old iron horse 4020, 4030, 4440 kinda guy. I bought this 6603 2wd and its just flat out rough. Tires were full when I got it, I emptied them trying to accomplish something but I cant tell the diff. I think it helped some. I was kicking the idea of wheel weights due to no liquid slosh. Its bad square baling up hill with water in tires for sure. I also thought suit case weights up front. Am I casing my tail on this issue? I am running tires as low as I can and still have some firmness when cutter hooked up. Heck my 4030 is smoother I guess due to weight wise.
    Thanks for any reply's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-03-2017 @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks

Rough Ride

Look how much weight they've taken out and even more critical to the ride is the shorter and narrower wheel base. Makes a big difference.
    DRobinson and Levi like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    IMHO you'll never get a tractor with a 4 cyl engine to ride as smooth as one with a 6 cyl engine because of the longer wheelbase of the 6 cyl model. Have you considered installing an air ride seat? Please explain liquid slosh in rear tires & what affect liquid in rear tires has on traveling up hill? I have liquid in rear tires of my 70 HP Kubota and never feel any slosh even at road speeds.
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 07-29-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    DRobinson, 56FordGuy, Levi and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    IMHO you'll never get a tractor with a 4 cyl engine to ride as smooth as one with a 6 cyl engine because of the longer wheelbase of the 6 cyl model. Have you considered installing an air ride seat? Please explain liquid slosh in rear tires & what affect liquid in rear tires has on traveling up hill? I have liquid in rear tires of my 70 HP Kubota and never feel any slosh even at road speeds.
    It is a 6 cyl but that really isnt much, the slosh I mean is when square baling the fly wheel and plunger jerk the tractor back and fourth more when baling on a incline, when descending down slightly the jerking is less. So the water in the tires I thought added to it. JMHO I am thinking adding wheel weights and suit case weights have got to help some.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLWelding View Post
    It is a 6 cyl but that really isnt much, the slosh I mean is when square baling the fly wheel and plunger jerk the tractor back and fourth more when baling on a incline, when descending down slightly the jerking is less. So the water in the tires I thought added to it. JMHO I am thinking adding wheel weights and suit case weights have got to help some.
    A max loaded 6603 weighs ~9480. A max loaded 4020 weighs ~13980. The ~4500 Lbs. is a big difference it stability. The weighs may take some of the movement out of it.
    DRobinson, BigJim55, em14 and 1 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,126 Posts
    IMO-now just my 2cts-ok. but I would of never taken the fluid OUT of ur tires. now u got less weight holding u down, or giving ya traction also. just my 2cts-ok.

put the fluid back in, and still add the wheel weights, plus the weights up front. i have yet to see any small square baler not rock any tractor while baling hay.
    JLWelding likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    I think liquid in tires would not slosh much at sq baling travel speeds. I can't feel liquid slosh in my tractor's tires at 18+ mph
    BigJim55 and em14 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    A max loaded 6603 weighs ~9480. A max loaded 4020 weighs ~13980. The ~4500 Lbs. is a big difference it stability. The weighs may take some of the movement out of it.
    I think your right on, I called JD Saturday and my 4030 has wheel weights, 148 loader with ROPS and he said he's calculation was 14300 , and the 6603 he said 9500 so he close to your figures.
    The reason I got rid of the water in rear tire was because our tire shop here in town wont mess with tires with water and I was curious what the diff. felt like. The closest other tire service is 18 miles away. I will be doing wheel weights for sure. Thanks
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    I am betting you do not have radial tires either. I think they would ride better.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements