• 3 Post By Super55

Thread: Need Some Input From Some Knowledgeable Deere Folks

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-17-2017 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks

Need Some Input From Some Knowledgeable Deere Folks

Hey y'all,

This is my first time posting on an internet forum so please forgive me if I miss anything or leave out any of the usual pleasantries. I live in South Mississippi, and like everyone else down here, my family likes to hunt. Since before I've been born we've had a deer camp in our possession, and up until lately I haven't had much involvement in the preparation or maintenance of the land, I would just go down to hunt. Now that I'm a little more mature and more serious about the sport, I'd like to aid the adults down there wherever I can. We were gifted a sizable (in my opinion) John Deere tractor many years ago, and I don't know much about it. From what little information I was able to gather, I believe that it is an early '90s model JD 2555 (maybe, please correct me if I'm wrong) . The only reason I say that is because I made the drive the other day to pull the serial number for a little more info, (but I managed to grab the engine serial instead of the overall serial) and, after some research, figured that only the 2555 would have that specific engine model in it. This tractor has some issues, seeing as it only really saw attention in or around every September so that we could get ready for the season. Those who have driven it before (I have not) have told me that it needs two 5 gallon buckets of hydraulic fluid before starting to be able to move, or else the bucket won't lift off the ground, indicating to me that a seal or a hose somewhere has a pretty good leak in it. It also needs to be jumped off by another vehicle every time we go to use it, so that could be the batteries or an alternator, not real sure. It's been a while since she's been used and she has been sitting outside in the weather with an 8 foot disc attached for some time. What I'd like from y'all is some ballpark guesses or estimates as to what she might be worth or what you would be willing to pay for a comparable machine. We're considering selling for a more modern tractor I would appreciate any input so that we don't unintentionally wind up giving somebody the deal of a lifetime. The machine has 3,419 hours, and I'm not even sure what model it is.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	422314

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	422322

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Welcome aboard!

That 2555 doesn't look all that rough. Maybe fix the hydraulic leak, give it a fluid service, filters and batteries and you might be good to go! For what little use it gets you should be in good shape with just a minor investment.

If you are convinced that you want to sell it off I'd recommend that you browse Tractorhouse.com to get an idea what it's worth.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...RE&Mdltxt=2555
    Gizmo2, Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (08-01-2017), nickg601 (08-01-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    JD 2555 were some of the best utility tractors JD built. My personal opinion I'd rather have the 2555 than JD's newer electronically controlled tractors. I'll guess the hyd leak is the load control shaft seals which is where 3 pt draft arms attach to tractor which can be easily repaired with around an hr of labor. If hyd leak is L/D control seals I have listed the part numbers below. I'll guess value of 2555 with FEL at $12,000-$14,000 depending on hrs of use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-01-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    DRobinson, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

nickg601 (08-01-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,308 Posts
    We have a 1990 2555, FWD with a 245 self leveling bucket. If I were you I'd fix what needs to be fixed and run it. The 2555 is a true work horse, the only thing we have ever done to ours besides minor hydro leaks and routine maintenance in 20,000 hours is head gaskets two years ago. You have a real tractor right there, fix it, keep it and run it.
    DRobinson, em14 and Robnik like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

nickg601 (08-01-2017)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with everybody else on that tractor. A JD 2555 cost 25,000 new plus options and was built between 84 and 92. I think you would be shocked at how much a new one to replace that one would cost (considerably north of 50,000). Chances are if you replaced it with a newer used one in the same range you would be around 25 to 35 grand. You have an excellent high horsepower utility tractor there and with a little bit of TLC she would be happy to provide you with another 10 or 15 years of good service.
    Ron
    Robnik, PJR832 and nickg601 like this.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPol View Post
    I agree with everybody else on that tractor. A JD 2555 cost 25,000 new plus options and was built between 84 and 92. I think you would be shocked at how much a new one to replace that one would cost (considerably north of 50,000). Chances are if you replaced it with a newer used one in the same range you would be around 25 to 35 grand. You have an excellent high horsepower utility tractor there and with a little bit of TLC she would be happy to provide you with another 10 or 15 years of good service.
    Ron
    This. And take the money you save on buying a new one and get her under some cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPol View Post
    Ron
    I agree with everything, but the 10 -15 years more service. Treat it right it will last FOREVER!

I would get the hydraulic leak fixed. 10 gallons of oil is not cheap. Worth paying to have fixed.

Then put new batteries in it. I pay the extra for JD strongbox batteries, since a tractor is rough on batteries. My 2030 sits all winter and only
    gets summer use.

I agree with TXJim 55 series is one of the better ones made by Deere. Fix it don't sell it.
    johnH123, PJR832 and nickg601 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with the others in that probably your best interest would be to put a little money into it and keep it going. The stuff you are listing is pretty minor and low cost relatively speaking into what tractor repairs can quickly add up to.

If your camp is looking to spend a little cash to get better hunting through food plots. Invest in some additional equipment such as a no till drill.
    em14, PJR832 and nickg601 like this.

14. Top | #9
    TyC

Last Online
    08-22-2017 @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with the rest of these guys, don't buy the new tractor if you don't have to. I have a '64 4020, an '80 model 2440 and a 2011 Kubota M9540. Only thing that makes the new tractor nicer is the cab and A/C! The older tractors ride better (see thread about new tractor riding rough) the use of power is smoother. If you are thinking a brand new tractor keep in mind all the new ones also have all the emissions garbage on them also......... more things to go wrong. Your tractor has very low hrs for its age and the leak shouldn't be a big issue to fix or get fixed. If you get dead set on selling it, P.M. me. I have a guy that might be willing to come get it.

I have also use my tractors for mainly planting for hunting and sit for months at a time. Your battery problem is an easy fix. My 2440 for some reason will completely drain a battery when left sitting for a while (couple of months). We installed a heavy duty battery shut off switch like they use on dirt track cars in the battery compartment. Flip off when you get done and no problems. Have not had to jump tractor off or replace batteries in a couple of years (a first). It also acts as somewhat of a theft deterrent. Unless someone knows about the switch or can plainly see it, thieves usually aren't quick witted enough to figure it out. Harder to steal a tractor that wont run!

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TyC View Post
    It also acts as somewhat of a theft deterrent. Unless someone knows about the switch or can plainly see it, thieves usually aren't quick witted enough to figure it out. Harder to steal a tractor that wont run!
    When I choose to leave my tractors in the field away from home I always turn off the fuel to inj pump. If a thief gets engine running it won't run very long unless thief opens fuel shut-off valve before starting engine.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements