3020 diesel question

Thread: 3020 diesel question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-23-2019 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks

3020 diesel question

Hi everyone. I'm going to look at a 66 3020 that I'm interested in. I don't know much about them, is there any specific things I should look for? Apparently the motor was rebuilt about 100 hours ago (crank, pistons, cylinders). Hydro hoses were replaced at the same time. Starter was rebuilt a little over a year ago and new batteries installed. It has a cab, loader with joystick, dual remotes, syncro trans, 3 point, good tires, and a 6' flail mower. There are 2600 hours on the clock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Slowly raise and lower the lift arm controls and watch the arms as you move the control. The arms should respond accordingly to the position you move it. With out sudden movement to catch up with the control you're moving slowly and smoothly up and down.
    And listen for chatter in the pump while you are doing the above.

Check transmission shifting forward and reverse in all gears for solid little or no grinding, and not popping out of gears.
    It could be simple out of adjustment/bushings in linkage or it could be some worn transmission parts in this old of an machine.
    You will need to drive and put the tractor in different positions like up and down hill to see if it stays in gear. But be ready while doing this, and not in a tight areas around objects.
    Popping out of gear can be dangerous.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 1010; 05-15-2018 at 01:13 PM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-23-2019 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks, that really helps me out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Check operation of hyd's after tractor has reached operating temp(190-200 degrees). Check operation of pto. Do you hear any noises when applying brakes?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 01:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuds View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm going to look at a 66 3020 that I'm interested in. I don't know much about them, is there any specific things I should look for? Apparently the motor was rebuilt about 100 hours ago (crank, pistons, cylinders). Hydro hoses were replaced at the same time. Starter was rebuilt a little over a year ago and new batteries installed. It has a cab, loader with joystick, dual remotes, syncro trans, 3 point, good tires, and a 6' flail mower. There are 2600 hours on the clock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    why would someone put that much money into a 3020, then with 100 hours on it sell it? Unless someone shows me receipts or paperwork on a rebuild then i figure its all original. Cause by your description it sounds like an out of frame complete overhaul, thats either a lot of work or a lot of money and it only shows 2600 hours on it? It would have to be a very impressive machine for me to want to go to far in regardless of the checks done when going over to look at it. I normally look at the drawbar hole to see how egged out it is and since its a loader tractor, any welds or damage to the front end of the frame rails.

Let us know what you find out.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements