• 1 Post By TruckFarmer55
  • 1 Post By PJR832

Thread: Safe working load on tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

Safe working load on tractor

I know most engines are governed. But I am curious as to if there is a definite safe work load for a tractor/engine. I know alot of people that put the throttle all the way up and others that don't. I've always gone all the way up because that seems to be where the power is. And I've always thought that if it was programmed/governed to not exceed a certain safe RPM it wouldn't. Is that correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    I know most engines are governed. But I am curious as to if there is a definite safe work load for a tractor/engine. I know alot of people that put the throttle all the way up and others that don't. I've always gone all the way up because that seems to be where the power is. And I've always thought that if it was programmed/governed to not exceed a certain safe RPM it wouldn't. Is that correct?

You are correct. A tractor is designed to work at max throttle. Anything less runs the risk of lugging the engine, depending on what you are doing with it. I always mow at max throttle using the hand throttle, even though I never turn off eThrottle. The cut is better also at max throttle. On loader work, I usually run 1500-2000 RPM. Max work = max throttle. Light work = light throttle. But keep in mind that the Tier IV engines need to keep the RPM's up in order to keep from having regens too often. In the old days, we were taught to just let a diesel idle. No longer. Shut it off, rather than let it idle.

Dave
    PJR832 and firemachine69 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. I'm running a '97 5200 with a field cultivator on it. I've just been watching the temperature gauge. Normally it never warms up even with a new thermostat but she gets into the operating range now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Ok. I'm running a '97 5200 with a field cultivator on it. I've just been watching the temperature gauge. Normally it never warms up even with a new thermostat but she gets into the operating range now.
    I would guess your max torque to be about mid range, max hp might be full throttle but not your torque. I always figured that's why pto rpms are near wide open because you need the extra hp, but for most field ground engaging work wide open may just be a waste of fuel. Our White 2-85 is around 6 gallons per hour with pto operation, if we can cut that back to 4-4.5 per hour when doing field work at the end of the season that makes a pretty big difference. Use what you need on field work and save wide open for pto operation.
    Last edited by PJR832; 05-23-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Right. I was noticing that if I backed it off a bit it was still pulling the same. I'll play with it more tonight. I'm pretty happy with how it's doing, I can run at 3" on the first pass at about 4.5 mph. In a field that the 8300 with MFWD I used to use would struggle in sometimes.
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Right. I was noticing that if I backed it off a bit it was still pulling the same. I'll play with it more tonight. I'm pretty happy with how it's doing, I can run at 3" on the first pass at about 4.5 mph. In a field that the 8300 with MFWD I used to use would struggle in sometimes.
    Yes sir, and it all depends what you are working with, our offset discs really make the tractors work where the finish discs are a walk in the park for them. You know what you are doing, use as much throttle as you feel necessary, tractors that use 5-6 gallons per hour can be costly with the price of fuel these days.
    Treefarmer likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I throttled it down to 2000 and it works just as well and uses less fuel. Now I just have to swap my fan belt. It started chattering the other day while I was rototilling...

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements