• 1 Post By jd110
  • 2 Post By A65Thor

Thread: 1020 Power Steering

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-31-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks

1020 Power Steering

I recently purchased an early 1020--1966 I think. It's equipped with power steering, but it doesn't work-it steers, but it's obviously not power assisted. There doesn't appear to be any leaks. I'm wondering if there is any relatively simple test to determine where the problem is--the steering valve, the ps pump, a clogged filter? It's an early 1020 with the open center type of ps. All lines appear to be connected and there's fluid in the system and the hydraulic system works. A person on another forum suggested the hydraulic oil filter relief valve is stuck open. I took the hyd filter off but I can't remove the relief valve to check it. The hyd filter looked fine--no shavings & no obvious dirt. There was also no intake screen in place. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

Hydraulic relief valve removal

Does anyone know how to remove the hydraulic relief valve--located above the hydraulic filter--on a 1020? It's firmly in place and no place to apparently get a grip on it & move it. Thanks.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    My 1020 was the opposite, could steer her with 1 finger. Maybe this will assist you, here's the service manual page for the power steering system, and hydraulic system. I have the rest of the sections too if you're interested.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 06:07 AM
    Thanks
    If you remove the hydraulic filter and look up in the housing where it comes out, you can see the filter relief valve. usually can pry on it with a screwdriver from there to help remove it. Have also used flat external snap ring pliers to grab it from the plug hole to help twist and pull it out.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jd110 For This Useful Post:

A65Thor (06-17-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    My 1020 was the opposite, could steer her with 1 finger. Maybe this will assist you, here's the service manual page for the power steering system, and hydraulic system. I have the rest of the sections too if you're interested.
    Thanks, that's very helpful.
    BigJim55 and 56Nine like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements