3020 Gas Fuel Lifter

Thread: 3020 Gas Fuel Lifter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-07-2019 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks

3020 Gas Fuel Lifter

My fuel pump/lifter has been spitting out gas through the hole in the side...not too much just drip, drip. After brush hogging yesterday for 2 hours (sure beats using my Super C), the engine started to falter, surging with less and less power until shutting down. I could shoot some ether in and it would start for 10 seconds while surging and then shut down. Decided to change the fuel pump since it was broke down in a field (not my field) across town. Went to NAPA and they had a match. Question was raised as to what psi I needed. The one they had and I bought was a 5psi....but the guy said that the other offered was an 8.25psi. Hard to match which was for the 3020 since the NAPA categories were kind of vague for JD's. Does anyone know the correct psi or does it not matter??

As is always the case, I installed it expecting the problem to be fixed and it was not....same run for 10 secs surging and then stop. Anyway it needed to be replaced since it was really spitting spray out at the end.

Also pulled the infeed to the carb screen and blew out a bunch of crud...figure that would fix it. Nope.

Ended up taking the MS Carb to a local JD restorer who works on carbs and he will take a look at it. He said it probably just needs cleaning out. Anyone know about the psi?
    John
    '68 John Deere 3020 Gas, '51 Farmall Super C, '56 Loboy, '57 F-Cub, Woods59/Flail Mowers, Front and Rear Grading Blades, Cultivators, Planters, Harrows

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhbike View Post
    My fuel pump/lifter has been spitting out gas through the hole in the side...not too much just drip, drip. After brush hogging yesterday for 2 hours (sure beats using my Super C), the engine started to falter, surging with less and less power until shutting down. I could shoot some ether in and it would start for 10 seconds while surging and then shut down. Decided to change the fuel pump since it was broke down in a field (not my field) across town. Went to NAPA and they had a match. Question was raised as to what psi I needed. The one they had and I bought was a 5psi....but the guy said that the other offered was an 8.25psi. Hard to match which was for the 3020 since the NAPA categories were kind of vague for JD's. Does anyone know the correct psi or does it not matter??

As is always the case, I installed it expecting the problem to be fixed and it was not....same run for 10 secs surging and then stop. Anyway it needed to be replaced since it was really spitting spray out at the end.

Also pulled the infeed to the carb screen and blew out a bunch of crud...figure that would fix it. Nope.

Ended up taking the MS Carb to a local JD restorer who works on carbs and he will take a look at it. He said it probably just needs cleaning out. Anyone know about the psi?
    Seems like a 3020 Service Manual should show a spec for fuel pump pressure. I'm sure someone has access to one, although I don't.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements