JD 4255 Electronic Dash Problems. Has anyone done manual gauges for hydraulics?

Thread: JD 4255 Electronic Dash Problems. Has anyone done manual gauges for hydraulics?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks

JD 4255 Electronic Dash Problems. Has anyone done manual gauges for hydraulics?

I have a cousin who bought a European JD 4255 that has problems with dash warning light coming on. The tractor already had manual engine oil pressure and water temp gauges in it when he bought it. It has no alarm code stored in memory. It has the caution and shut down lights come on with no other light with it.

Has anyone ever put manual gauges on for hydraulic temp and pressure?

He wants to just have all manual gauges and disconnect the bulbs from the dash.

I thought about putting in a JD 50 series dash in but it would be a lot of work.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    I'll just throw some of my thoughts into this.

- I assume that your cousin will keep the electrical pressure and temperature sensors intact, and just remove the bulbs? The sensors may interact with other systems other than just the idiot light?
    - Placing a mechanical temperature bulb into the hydraulic stream would have to be figured out. Just securing the temp bulb on a hot line or transmission case and insulating it may give some reading on the fluid temp, but by not being fully surrounded by hot fluid may not give you accurate results.
    - Assuming you want to mount the gage on the dash somewhere, you'd need to run a HIGH pressure (2,000 - 4000 psi?) hydraulic line from the source to the back of the gauge. More fittings, another rubber hydraulic hose, more things to wear out and more areas for possible hydraulic leaks. May be worth it, may be not. Rubber hoses are thick and bulky, steel line is thinner and more compact, but mor difficult to work with. Placing a pressure gage "in-line" on an existing line may be useful for checking pressure occasionally, but may not be visible from the cockpit. And an exposed gage on the chassis or transmission is prone to damage by whatever happens to brush by during work.

On my cars years back, I always liked mechanical gages, but when it got down to actual planning, I only installed a few of the easier ones like oil pressure and ammeter.

Good luck, just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements