• 1 Post By anchors
  • 1 Post By anchors

Thread: JD 8100 Problems

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-05-2018 @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks

JD 8100 Problems

This started last fall, tractor would turn over but not start.I changed all fuel filters bled the fuel system,still would not start.
    Local JD dealer sent mechanic out,he check for power going to the fuel shut off solenoid and it was not getting power to it.several hours later he thinks it was maybe a ground wire issue,and it started up and run fine. I put the tractor in the shed
    for the winter, next spring went to start it ,same thing it would crank but not start. Funny thing is you let it set for a day or two and it would start.Then when I would be baling hay,it would die as if you turned the key off,that time I waited 5 min and it started up and a way I'd go. So in the last few months JD has replaced the check off valve behind the main fuel filter,a braided fuel line that also goes to the main filter,and the fuel shut off solenoid,still having the no start problem.Now JD dealer is thinking it's the ECU (Engine Control Unit).I have around $1400 into this problem and I'm at a loss on what to do.I was thinking some one else may have had this issue with their tractor.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just yesterday I went to start it and would not fire,check for power at the fuel solenoid, no power.I did not do any thing to it but walked away,The next day it had power to the solenoid and started right up. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks
    Just yesterday I went to start it and would not fire,check for power at the fuel solenoid, no power.I did not do any thing to it but walked away,The next day it had power to the solenoid and started right up.

I think I would put a light on this at the solenoid and start following the wiring harness back and keep wiggling things until the light went out or on depending on its current state. Sounds like a loose connection or a bad wire. My 2 cents
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Very rarely is the controller bad. It may help to replace it, but usually the issue is a part somewhere down the line giving the illusion that the controller is bad.

Start by removing the solenoid completely- see if it starts. (to shut it off you have to stick your finger in the hole and push the little thingy inside, or if it has a fuel shutoff lever on the outside of the IP just move it to the off position)

If it does, bench test the solenoid.

Check ok? start testing supply wires. Most likely you have a grounding issue. wiggle the connectors on the ECU to check for loose connections, and see if it helps.
    Herminator likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    The walk away and come back to a fixed tractor is 99% of the time a loose connection,,
    I had a tractor that ran fine, but, would only charge one trip out of 5 out of the shed,,,

I ran the tractor for 2 years like that,, using a trickle charger occasionally,,,

It turned out to be a loose connection at the ignition switch.

I tightened the one stab-on,,, and it has charged perfectly ever since,,

Look for that loose connection,,,
    Herminator likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

JD 8100 Problems

Thanks everyone for responding, I will check those items out when I have some time.
    Herminator likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, I believe I have found the problem, traced it all the way back to the relay board. The are two Diodes,one supplys
    power to the ECU,there was a weak connection on one of the 9 spades where it plugged in.Bent the inside where it plugged in
    to make a tighter fit,and it seems to have corrected it.I also replace that Diode($18) just to make sure that was"nt the problem. This is a great site to be a member of.Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Zebrafive likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements