Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 1966 JD 2510 Row-Crop 4 cylinder gas engine

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-16-2018 @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks

1966 JD 2510 Row-Crop 4 cylinder gas engine

New member here and new to tractors. I just picked up a 1966 JD 2510 syncro range gas row-crop tractor. Couple questions that has me baffled - on the back of the tractor there is a big mount to the left of center about the same height of the top of the top-link and has kind of a 'U' rest on top what's it used for? The second thing is I haven't cleaned the tractor yet and I have a pto cover on the back of the tractor to the left and above the pto shaft. What's under it - I don't want to remove it yet because of all the crud and dirt. Thx Mike
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepennst View Post
    New member here and new to tractors. I just picked up a 1966 JD 2510 syncro range gas row-crop tractor. Couple questions that has me baffled - on the back of the tractor there is a big mount to the left of center about the same height of the top of the top-link and has kind of a 'U' rest on top what's it used for? The second thing is I haven't cleaned the tractor yet and I have a pto cover on the back of the tractor to the left and above the pto shaft. What's under it - I don't want to remove it yet because of all the crud and dirt. Thx Mike
    As you described the U shaped hook, it sounds like the hook to hang a hydraulic cylinder on. A picture can confirm.

Under the PTO cover should be with the 540 or 1000 rpm stub shaft, depending on which one is installed. If you do change the shaft insure that the four bolts are tight. It is also a good idea the check them periodically. If the stub shaft is allowed to run loose it can cause internal damage. As I recall, the 2510 is the same as the larger NG tractors.

TxJim will certainly see your post and double check my answers. For future reference, Jim's answers will be more accurate than mine.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (12-14-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    That hook is to hold hydraulic cylinders. The cover is for the pto. When the pto is in use you're supposed to take the cover off and mount it to there. It's just a holder so the cover won't get lost. Hardly ever does anyone put it back over the pto and they often times get put on and left. The extra pto shaft if it has one would be sitting sideways above the pto. I have 2 2510 gas tractors and they are great little tractors. They get thirsty but start in any weather. I use one to feed cattle with all winter.
    BigJim55 likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks
    Ditto on the hook to carry a hyd cylinder when cylinder is not attached to a towed implement. DRobinson is correct that cover on LH side is a storage place for pto shaft guard BUT he made an incorrect statement because the 2510 pto stub shaft is held in place with a snap ring not 4 bolts like utilized on 3010/4010
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG   Capture.PNG  
    DRobinson likes this.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (12-14-2018), Zebrafive (12-14-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks all - I'm still learning about the tractor, those two things I couldn't find in the service manual or google. The mount is pretty beefy and couldn't figure out what attached to it, but you can see something was swinging back and forth from it by the rusted scratches. The pto cover makes sense - I couldn't imagine a second pto off center like that or any you would need it. But the cover is the same as the forward pto. I'm still getting it in work ing condition - this afternoon i pushed some dirt around then proceeded to run out of gas! But not bad for not knowing how or ever driving a tractor till last week! Can't quit my day job yet though! Thx again

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Chuck S, seeing that you have two 2510's is there anything that you've done / modified that I should try or keep an eye out for. I've done an oil & filter change and the same for the hydraulic fluid & filter. Had to change out the choke cable & rockshaft cable and a couple of leaky hydraulic hoses. I've also learned not to keep the clutch depressed for any length of time when the engine is running or you'll lose your hydraulics. I've got a 48 FEL and am I'm in the process of re-plumbing it so it's not hooked to the rear remote. I'm very impressed with how beefy the tractor is including all the sheet metal and fenders. Definitely old American Iron!
    DRobinson and Zebrafive like this.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    The 2510 is my favorite tractor and is a very handy machine. When they were new however they came with a 4 piston hyd pump. They were not overly successful especially with a loader. If your happy with it and it's not giving you any problems leave it alone. But if the pump gives any problem at all i'd recommend putting an 8 piston pump in. The drawback though is it will build hyd pressure quickly making it harder to start. It will also let you know pretty quick what kind of condition your motor is in. When I put the 8 piston pump in mine I knew the motor was a little weak but pulled the engine down enough I had to overhaul it. You can install a destroke valve to make it easier to start. I have no experience with that. I put a secd battery box on the other side and run 2 12 volt batteries along with a diesel starter. In -30 below weather all I have to do it just bump that starter button and it fires up right now. When changing the engine oil it takes 7 quarts. If it's like both of mine and like my uncles that he's had since new it will be above the full mark on the dipstick. That's what the book calls for and that's what we run and haven't had any problems. My second 2510 I just bought last year and needs quite a bit of work yet. It had a lot rougher life than I realized when I bought if unfortunately. When changing the hyd fluid remember there is a long round mesh screen that needs cleaned behind the hyd filter as well. The front pto is 1000 rpm and the cover is similar but they are different. I have a 48 loader as well but right now it's a 4010. My plan is to switch it to the second 2510 when I get it fixed up. If you have the 2 engine shields that have the 2510 sticker on it watch out for them. They are big money so be careful they don't grow legs and walk away. That's all I can think of right now.
    DRobinson and Zebrafive like this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171117_103539_1544921672069.jpg   20171226_094507_1544921792487.jpg  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck S For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (12-27-2018)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 07:30 AM
    Thanks
    When was the last time it was below 30 degrees in kansas? lol

i have a 2510 gasser, narrow front, handy little bugger but the 2510/20 is NOT the same as a new generation 3010/20. They do have the same wide front end as the 10 and 20 series, but keep in mind, they are not that heavy built, so if your really gonna work that FEL you may consider a 30 series upgrade on the front end.

I have recreated the destroke solenoid kit for these tractors that deere wants 1000 bucks for, and i think i am in for right around 100 bucks, would be less if i would bought different hydraulic hoses. if anybody is interested in what i did email me. The kit works for all 10 & 20 series tractors including the 7020/7520. Best upgrade i have done on any of them things.

15. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tlock0331 View Post
    I have recreated the destroke solenoid kit for these tractors that deere wants 1000 bucks for, and i think i am in for right around 100 bucks, would be less if i would bought different hydraulic hoses. if anybody is interested in what i did email me. The kit works for all 10 & 20 series tractors including the 7020/7520. Best upgrade i have done on any of them things.
    Why not create a thread and share this with everyone?
    Zebrafive and Herminator like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast