• 1 Post By Herminator
  • 2 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: 12V 3020 Batteries

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-07-2019 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks

12V 3020 Batteries

Didn't want to further hijack another topic with my question which wasn't answered clearly...12V negative ground 3020 gas with 2 batteries (TSC specials-about 470 CCA each). I have the right side positive hooked up to the left side positive and that connects to the solenoid. Interesting question is to connect each of the batteries positive terminals to the solenoid.

Will the engine turn over faster? That would be a help this time of year.
    John
    '68 John Deere 3020 Gas, '51 Farmall Super C, '56 Loboy, '57 F-Cub, Woods59/Flail Mowers, Front and Rear Grading Blades, Cultivators, Planters, Harrows

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Thanks
    You should have 2 6 volt batteries hooked in series on this which creates the 12v.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-07-2019 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    I don't, I have 2- 12volt
    John
    '68 John Deere 3020 Gas, '51 Farmall Super C, '56 Loboy, '57 F-Cub, Woods59/Flail Mowers, Front and Rear Grading Blades, Cultivators, Planters, Harrows

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Thanks
    IMHO if both 12 volt batteries positive posts are connected to top post on starter solenoid then engine should start better than connecting one positive post cable to other positive battery cable then only have one cable attaching to starter solenoid top post. In the case of electric current carrying capacity of cables larger is better IE larger cable will carry more amps all other things equal. On 55 series JD rowcrop tractors JD engineers elected to utilize two 12 volt batteries attached in parallel instead of two 6 volt batteries attached in series.
    Shown below is a photo of how the batteries on my JD 4255 are connected to starter solenoid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    DRobinson and JD4044M like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Thanks
    why would you hook two 6v up in series when you could hook 2 12's up in parallel?

That said, if you run two separate cables to the solenoid it wont turn over faster so to speak but will crank longer, but if your second battery hooked to the first, wont lose as much potential because it has a direct connection to the starter as well. So if the closest to the starter battery starts to go down hill your not using your second to charge the first and start the tractor at the same time.

That said, i also have recreated the parts kit to put on the pump destroke kit. deere wants about 1000 bucks for it and i think i am in around 100 bucks, maybe less. email me if you need the part numbers, ill even tell you where you can order you a few kits because they work on all 10 & 20 series tractors.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements