• 1 Post By Octoberfarm10
  • 2 Post By Octoberfarm10

Thread: starter problem on 4250

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks

starter problem on 4250

Hi, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.
    My JD 4250 tractor {thread incorrectly says 4950} is having an issue with the starter. It starts fine but when I pull the fuel kill cable, it becomes apparent that the starter has never disengaged and is still trying to turn the engine over. The only way I can kill the engine is if I disconnect the battery cables and then pull the fuel kill cable.
    I've tried fully charging both batteries and also changed out the starter relay and the starter solenoid, but it still does the same thing. I checked the key switch to the relay and it is working correctly, test light lights when the key is turned and test light goes out when the key is released. My next guess is that something inside the starter is shorted and keeps the starter turning over.
    Does anyone have some input or experience with this issue?? Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Octoberfarm10; 12-22-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: sorry,i'm Green, its a 4250

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    If starter solenoid exciter(engagement) wire has no voltage after engine starts then if it was my tractor I'd probably install a new aftermarket starter for less than $300 & hopefully call it done. Another possibility is have old starter checked by a starter repair person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    raco232 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I would think the new starter solenoid would have solved the problem. Have you "bench" tested the starter to comfirm it continues to run when voltage to the trigger terminal of the solenoid is removed?
    raco232 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. To answer your question, I thought that it would be as simple as replacing the relay or solenoid. I saw how difficult it is to remove that rear nut. In all my years of working on these tractors, I've never thought that it would be internal to the starter motor. I guess I'm not familiar with this type of design using an exciter wire since it turns over fine.
    I have ordered the wrench that will allow me to get it off and I will try your suggestion and get it bench tested. Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens.
    raco232 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    What I referred to as the ""exciter wire"" is simply the wiring connection that goes from key switch to neutral start switch to starter relay to "S" terminal on starter solenoid. This type wiring connection has been utilized for many years to engage starters.
    raco232 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi TX Jim, I thought you were referring to the wire that goes from the exciter terminal on the solenoid down to a lug on the side of the starter housing. I've not seen this wire on other starters before. usually there is a wire from the relay down to the solenoid exciter lug. (if you can follow me)
    raco232 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    This starter not only has a wire from the relay to the solenoid but it also has a short jumper wire that goes from the solenoid around to a lug on the back side of the starter housing near the block of the engine. I think you can make it out in the picture of the starter above. Anyway, ill rip it out and get it tested!
    Last edited by Octoberfarm10; 12-23-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    raco232 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, I had the starter checked out by a shop that rebuilds them. They bench tested it and it did the same thing it was doing on the tractor. He disassembled it and found internal problems and also replaced the solenoid that I had replaced. Now it works fine. So I still dont know exactly what was the original cause, but to save trouble in the future, a new starter is the way to go!!
    Thanks for all your help!
    DRobinson and raco232 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Octoberfarm10
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got starter operating correctly.
    Jim

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements