Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1962 2010 Row Crop dash gauges not working

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-24-2019 @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks

1962 2010 Row Crop dash gauges not working

Recently bought my first tractor ever, 1962 JD 2010. I've read all the bad mojo surrounding these tractors, but hey this one works just fine. My issue is the water temp gauge and the tachometer don't work like they're supposed to. The water temp gauge just stays cold all the time. The tachometer just bounces around near max RPM no matter the engine speed. I have no history with tractors so I'm a newbie. Looking for any quick troubleshooting pointers. Is this a common issue on older tractors?
    SulleyBear likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    Temp gauge is a manual type with a capillary tube. Are you positive engine is getting up to operating temp? Have tried operating engine with radiator covered to aid getting coolant warmer? On tachometer needle bouncing I'll suggest to lubricate tach drive cable with white grease & if that doesn't help then the tach may require replacement which although not cheap is still available from JD.
    AR65445 Tachometer - ADD 285.13 USD
    DRobinson and SulleyBear like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Tx Jim, I believe the engine is up to temp. The hood and side shields are all on, and the air coming off the radiator is warm and seems to be at a normal temperature. I've read about gently taking a torch to the temperature sensor (very gently of course) to see if it will move. If not, replace the unit.

Yikes you're right the tach isn't cheap, though what is from deere? Where do i lubricate the tach cable? Just disconnect the end and apply lube there?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Welcome to the GTT Forums........I lived in your fine city for 15 years.......

There are different firms who specialize in rebuilding old gauges for collector cars and any vehicle which is being restored, repaired and for those which parts aren't available. If you run into a situation where you can't find the specific gauges or parts, you may want to try those sources. Hemmings motor news is a good place to search for such services, plus just googling them. Make sure to check before getting too deep into the services with any of those to make sure you aren't getting sticker shock later......

Before putting a torch, even gently, to the temp sending unit for water temp gauge, I would suggest removing the sensor end from the engine and leaving it attached to the gauge, dipping it into a small container of HOT water from a tea kettle or other wise warmed which you can test with a kitchen thermometer or even a infrared temp gauge, which if you don't have one, you can get from a number of sources, including Harbor Freight, or Menards, Home Depot, etc. for under $40. That way you will know the actual temp of the water in the container so you can see how accurate the temp gauge is on your tractor, or how far off it might be.

The infrared temp guns are very handy for determining radiator temps and coolant flow and lot's of handy uses. If you don't have one, I suggest adding to your tool box. You will find many handy uses for them......

Here is a thread on a Corvette forum which talks about lubricating the tach and speedo cables. The early Corvette's used a tach cable from the distributor to drive the Tachometer and lubricating them is essential to their proper operation.

Lubricate tachometer and speedometer cable. What to use and how much? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Again, welcome......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks SulleyBear, I'll definately do this on Saturday when I get some time.
    SulleyBear likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,495 Posts
    If the serial number of your tractor is after 42000, you might be OK. The earlier ones were troublesome, to say the least.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's 25000 something.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstDeere View Post
    It's 25000 something.
    1962 production was 19240 - 27879. 1962 was the second year of 2010 production.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    FirstDeere,

For gauges;

EverGreen Restoration
    (Jerry Trcka)
    Phone 715-635-8629
    Cell 715-520-7876
    [email protected]

Excellent, Best available

For tach repairs;

Star Speedometer
    Call for estimate : 386-569-5284

Does excellent work, but last I heard he is getting burned out and wants to see his business.

The reason I am suggesting you rebuild the one you have is I have heard the new generation tacks that John Deere will supply you is not the same as original. Maybe TxJim will counter that remark.

I have the an early 1010 gas that is a tractor in the same dubious category as your 2010 with collectors and in general but she runs fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July sale at Logan 013.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	669196
    DRobinson likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan in Ohio For This Useful Post:

FirstDeere (02-04-2019)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    I agree on getting old speed-hour meter rebuilt if possible. A lot of new parts don't exactly resemble the original part.
    DRobinson likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast