• 1 Post By Tx Jim
  • 1 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: JD 4450 Perma Clutch Assembly Diagram

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-14-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks

Unhappy JD 4450 Perma Clutch Assembly Diagram

Hi all. I am new to the forum and in need of help re-assembling the perma-clutch pack on my 4450 with quad range transmission. We split it up to replace clutch plates due to loss of power transfer. 2 of the clutches were completely worn out and 1 clutch plate had cracks. All parts have been replaced with brand new ones from the local dealer here in Swaziland. The challenge is the tractor doesn't get into gear when running. The clutch is simply not working. When you start it in gear, it takes off and runs with more power than before. We had to split it again and got a mechanic from the dealer to come with a special tool to set/adjust the clutch and PTO forks. This did not help since we are still not getting any clutch activity. I am suspecting that we did not assemble the clutch pack properly. May anyone help with an exploded diagram of the perma-clutch pack? Or better still pictures of step by step assembly. I got a copy of the technical manual and unfortunately it is not very clear which way the hubs should face and where the exactly the spacers go i.e. under the forks or under the lock nut and lock nut assembly above the transmission clutch fork? Looking forward to your help. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    Did you replace seals in clutch operating pistons? Have you checked clutch operating pressures?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    DRobinson likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    02-14-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Welcome to GTT
    Did you replace seals in clutch operating pistons? Have you checked clutch operating pressures?
    Hi Tx Jim,

Thanks once again for your prompt responses and the attached image. Looking at the image, I think we may be talking about 2 different things. Please see attached image of the section of the tractor that we were working on. The challenge is even in the attached PDF, it is not very clear which washer goes where.

The mechanic checked pressure by the valve body just under the battery box and he we were getting 11 Bar which converts to 159 PSI if i remember well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Perma-Clutch Pack.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Thanks
    You're correct you are referring to clutch assembly & I'm referring to clutch pistons. 159 psi should be sufficient pressure to engage clutch. Are you aware that the operating pistons apply pressure to pressure plate fingers to engage Perma-clutch? Therefore one needs to check for 0 psi when clutch foot pedal is depressed. When you split the 2nd time did you check to be sure no clutch plates were bowed? Which washers are you referring to? If you read washer parts descriptions the size/thickness of washers is shown.
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 02-15-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    DRobinson likes this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements