• 2 Post By Tx Jim
  • 1 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: 4450 Questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks

4450 Questions

So I just picked up a 4450 yesterday and it has some minor light things going on with it. The front light bar only has one of the four lights working. My understanding is that this is common for the series and that it doesn't give out much light anyway. So is it as simple of changing bulbs or what is a good after market kit that someone recommends to replace the bar? IS going LED worth it? Other options? Any help works.

Also and maybe this is better in its own thread but it has come from the mid west prior to be buying it. The tractor is in really great shape with 3250 hours on it and looks good and runs tight, but it has a funking after market sliding window in the rear of the cab. It actually will be useful in my operation however does anyone know if this was a after market kit available back in the late 80's or is this most likely a home job?

Last the tractor came with auto steer, display and GPS with the free activation. Where this is a 2 wd tractor how well will this run. I raise melons and pumpkins and see how this can be a great addition but my only experience with GPS and auto steer have been in MFWD tractors.
    DRobinson and raco232 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:39 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    Congratulations on your recent purchase of a very low hour tractor. My 4255 that I purchased used in '93 with 2847 hrs has nearly 11,000 hrs on speed-hour meter today. JD offered a rear sliding window kit for SGB. Replacement light bulbs for frt light bar are AR101759 Bulb - ADD 3.42 USD

I will make you aware that the engine water pump drives from timing gears therefore if WP seal leaks & drain hole in pump housing is plugged coolant ends up in engine crankcase. IMHO not one of JD ENGINEERS most shining moments. Why JD engineers decided to drive WP via timing gears is a mystery to me because to my knowledge 4450 predecessor 4440 had no major heating problems with belt driven WP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    DRobinson and 1bigtater like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

1bigtater (04-22-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Welcome to GTT
    Congratulations on your recent purchase of a very low hour tractor. My 4255 that I purchased used in '93 with 2847 hrs has nearly 11,000 hrs on speed-hour meter today. JD offered a rear sliding window kit for SGB. Replacement light bulbs for frt light bar are AR101759 Bulb - ADD 3.42 USD

I will make you aware that the engine water pump drives from timing gears therefore if WP seal leaks & drain hole in pump housing is plugged coolant ends up in engine crankcase. IMHO not one of JD ENGINEERS most shining moments. Why JD engineers decided to drive WP via timing gears is a mystery to me because to my knowledge 4450 predecessor 4440 had no major heating problems with belt driven WP

Thanks for the response. I will check that drain hole when I service that tractor. I'll be honest my favorite series is the 55 or the 60 but they are so hard to find in my area. Without going to the midwest I haven't seen one for sale around here that was worth buying.
    Thanks for the post. I'm not sure what SGB means. Was this window a factory aftermarket thing? Also would you recommend the LED upgrade on the bar, and whats the number on the bulbs for the field lights on the cab?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    You can look up part #s for free on John Deere Parts Catalog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG   Capture.PNG  

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigtater View Post
    Thanks for the response. I will check that drain hole when I service that tractor. I'll be honest my favorite series is the 55 or the 60 but they are so hard to find in my area. Without going to the midwest I haven't seen one for sale around here that was worth buying.
    Thanks for the post. I'm not sure what SGB means. Was this window a factory aftermarket thing? Also would you recommend the LED upgrade on the bar, and whats the number on the bulbs for the field lights on the cab?
    SGB is Sound Gard Body; JD's name for the cab starting with 30 series tractors.

I would say that the sliding rear window was available as an option or a whole goods kit. The big deal with the Sound Gard was the quiet inside the cab. I don't remember the dB rating, but they were very quiet.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes DRobinson is correct when he stated sliding rear window on SGB was an option offered by JD. IIRC the db rating for SGB was the mid to low 80's
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 04-23-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    DRobinson likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements