Turbo no longer whistles? Does it matter?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Turbo no longer whistles? Does it matter?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks

Turbo no longer whistles? Does it matter?

I only just realized that in my JD 7130 6 cylinder version which has a turbo that the turbo no longer does the high pitched whistle that is so common with turbos and is usually a tell tale that an engine has a turbo. It used to be really obvious even just driving along no under much load, like not more than any other turbocharged tractor just what you would expect and now I hear nothing and I know I can still hear well above that frequency because well I am 23 and have good hearing. No clue how long it has stopped making this sound and really I am no idea if this means anything about the turbo or if it just does not whistle as loud when it gets older? 2500 hours now on that engine which is not that much but still. I know the turbo is still spinning or at least part of it because I can hear it wind down when I turn off the tractor, I had the hood up checking fluids and I listened next to it and it is spinning for sure or at least the drive side is spinning for sure. But the tell tale whistle I am used to in a turbo charger is no longer there, does it mean anything or nothing? Also in my other post I asked about a flashing light and it is gone now, turns out the radiator was down a bit and there may have been some water in the fuel filter, I checked it all over and the light is gone so yay!.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    The first question I would have, does it still have the same HP? Without the turbo, it should be down considerably on HP. If HP is still as it should be, I would not worry about it.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Except for in one task it has always been well sized for the job, chisel plowing which in our land is what we do instead of a spring tooth harrow, it is a modiifed chisel plow and it pulls hard. Plus hauling heavy loads up hills. Literally it could have been doing it last week and not now I never listen outside it much so I just happened to notice it today. If the air filter was restricted would that change anything? also well it would be hard to tell if it went down overtime, if it had lost some it is really hard to tell because all these tasks are variable. If it was down like....5-8hp I would not be horribly surprised but If it was running at full hp I would not be surpized either, I have only just started the heavy work for this season so over time I will be able to tell more. Now I only listened to the turbo under no load as it would be kinda hard to plow and stand outside to listen to the turbo so maybe it still would under heavy load? Idk I just like to make sure everything is running properly because issues tend to get worse not better and finding them early is good, I don't have like a boost gauge or any idea how to use one so I can't test it that way. I can tell you that the exhaust smoke is still exactly the same as it always was.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    SRG
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    Put it under load, then report back. Once it's building boost, loaded up, I bet it sings nicely.
    PJR832 likes this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    When was the last time you had your hearing checked?
    arlen, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hopefully, it used to sing just driving along the road at a decent rev and oh my hearing is fine, I know this well because my dad is half deaf so when something makes a high pitched squeal It drives me nuts and he does not hear it. Like our toaster always puts out a dog whistle like tone and it drives me crazy. My hearing is very good, I'll have to keep the door open for a bit next time I chisel and see if I hear it.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I was working in the same field with someone else and I got them to check and it's only faint but you can hear it under load. Air filters due to be replaced so that may not help.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe it just forgot the tune?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman(05-03-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Could be air filter for 2 reasons.
    1) if it's plugged the engine may not be getting the airflow it needs to produce full boost
    2) it ingested something that damaged/dusted the fins of the turbo, thus reducing whistle

The whistle is caused by the driven (intake) side of the turbo.
    I've had 2 turbos and 4 different compressor wheels on my pickup (01 7.3L). Stock was quiet (duh), aftermarket wheel added whistle and boost pressure across the map.
    New turbo (GTP38R) whistled ALL THE TIME, even at high idle. Caused a drone at cruising speeds, especially when towing, so I swapped wheels again.
    Aftermarket wheel is a bit quieter, and increased boost pressures slightly.

On a pickup, the biggest difference in turbo noise is going from a sealed to an open air intake, as that is where most of the heard turbo whistle comes from.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Forgot the tune? Well atlesst it didn't learn to scream horribly. Silent is the better direction to go
    theduke likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast