Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Proud new owner of a 2950 with AC issues

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 03:34 PM
    Thanks

Proud new owner of a 2950 with AC issues

I was told when bought it was the compressor. I took a picture where the inline fuse goes and the people had bypassed that. The JD shop said usually when the fuse goes the compressor goes. So I’m off to get me a new one in the morning.

My question, should I buy a nice inline fuse or just let it be how they have it. Any tips on installing the compressor? There’s doesn’t seem to be belt tensioners so I reckon it’s like the old trucks where you need to get it half mounted then use a crow bar to add tension while lining up the other bolts.

Just any tips at all would be appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C51867C2-9A4E-4E23-8D2A-F16C78B3189C_1557183821185.jpeg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-08-2019 @ 07:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron horse View Post
    I was told when bought it was the compressor. I took a picture where the inline fuse goes and the people had bypassed that. The JD shop said usually when the fuse goes the compressor goes. So Iím off to get me a new one in the morning.

My question, should I buy a nice inline fuse or just let it be how they have it. Any tips on installing the compressor? Thereís doesnít seem to be belt tensioners so I reckon itís like the old trucks where you need to get it half mounted then use a crow bar to add tension while lining up the other bolts.

Just any tips at all would be appreciated, thanks.
    I do not thank that is a fuse but a three terminal high heat switch. Replace as original is best. If you do not replace the dryer you have no warranty. Replace the expansion valve while you are at it. Use an A/C flush and blow out all the lines. If you don't you have no idea how much oil is in the system and what someone else has put in it.
    In school I was taught to drain all the oil out of the compressor and measure it. Be sure your system has the correct amount.
    Last time I tried to get one of those compressors I was told they were no longer available. Had a high dollar conversion kit that replaced it. I ended up with a compressor for a Olds or a Pontiac. 4240 is still old school cool.
    rtgt, Toughsox, Spectre and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Thanks
    most go to a later model updated compressor as i did in my 40 series...

as mentioned.......minimum work.......flush lines......install new compressor with correct type/quantity of oil....new dryer.....then pull a vacum on the system for minimum of 2-3 hrs and make sure it has no leaks (i usually leave over nite)..........before attempting to charge the system (with correct amount of freon) ...obviously you have other issues to deal with if it will not hold a vacume

other things that will help performance....cleaning the condenser and evaporator of dirt and debris

fwiw......these systems are notoriously inadequate ....but are a simple system....mine has developed in the long ass freon line back to the cab and i havent gotten around to replacing it ..and the dryer(again)....good luck
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-06-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    Dave C, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    A6 mounting brackets have belt tensioning capabilities built into them. Parts search reveals that the A6 compressor is still available from JD. If it was my tractor & compressor was bad I'd change compressor to the better Denso or Sanden compressor. My JD 4255 cools very well with a Denso compressor in N Texas heat.

SE503047 Compressor Reman - AC COMPRESSOR, A6 12V, REMAN 525.99 USD
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 05-07-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    DRobinson and rtgt like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 2,345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    most go to a later model updated compressor as i did in my 40 series...

as mentioned.......minimum work.......flush lines......install new compressor with correct type/quantity of oil....new dryer.....then pull a vacum on the system for minimum of 2-3 hrs and make sure it has no leaks (i usually leave over nite)..........before attempting to charge the system (with correct amount of freon) ...obviously you have other issues to deal with if it will not hold a vacume

other things that will help performance....cleaning the condenser and evaporator of dirt and debris

fwiw......these systems are notoriously inadequate ....but are a simple system....mine has developed in the long ass freon line back to the cab and i havent gotten around to replacing it ..and the dryer(again)....good luck
    ^^^ This.

This series of steps is very important. I donít know how many people with non working A/C just automatically assume the compressor is bad. There are many elements to a proper working A/C system. Any one component not working properly will shut the system down.
    rtgt likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I only thought it was bad because it won’t kick on but still shows pressure in the line. JD says there’s a switch in the back ($50) that turns it on (one of the wires from that connector go up it). There mechanic said That was were the fuse went. Looks like it held in with a c clamp but who knows, I brought it up because I thought I saw something similar in a YouTube video. The the mechanic said 9 times out of 10 if it blows that fuse the compressor it is bad but you all know how places want you spending money on parts.. but 10-4 make a trip to harbor freight to get a vacuum pump. I need some extra large Allan bolts from there anyways so I can rip apart the front hub and replace the seals.
    Last edited by Iron horse; 05-07-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    rtgt and coaltrain like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    It's been a long time since I thought about the A6 AC compressor thermal fuse BUT IIRC high head pressure can blow fuse but compressor still be good. I'll suggest to replace fuse then see if compressor will operate. If it operates check operating pressures & be sure condenser,AC filter & evaporater are spiffy clean. IIRC Compressor can have thermal fuse OR switch in rear but not both simultaneously.
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 05-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Dave C and rtgt like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    It's been a long time since I thought about the A6 AC compressor thermal fuse BUT IIRC high head pressure can blow fuse but compressor still be good. I'll suggest to replace fuse then see if compressor will operate. If it operates check operating pressures & be sure condenser,AC filter & evaporater are spiffy clean. IIRC Compressor can have thermal fuse OR switch in rear but not both simultaneously.
    Where is the ac filter located? On a vehicle it’s on the top line by the upper shrade valve.and from the looks of it they by passed that fuse. I’d like to put another they are in stock. The connector looks in bad shape and burnt (melted). Maybe from them trying to bypass something that was already messed up. I’ll stop by Deere and see what they say, I’m just waiting to meet the old man. I’m gonna borrow a vacuum pump and set of gauges from my uncle. I’ll try and take my time. I’m a fast impatient worker. I’m going to just undo the line and fill them with flush then blow them out. I’m not going to remove the lines from the system. They are to long. I see myself bending or damaging them then a whole new set of problems. Here is a picture of the current compressor. I’m going to see about the upgraded ones like mentioned above.

If I can’t buy that pigtail to put a new factory fuse in I will most likely tape it up well and put a Inline fuse on the hot wire.... I think 30 amp should do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 511EAE85-C268-4BE9-B298-8D0292680AEA_1557248341244.jpeg 953502EE-F9F9-4CF6-BA57-0344111E9E9F_1557248437976.jpeg
    Last edited by Iron horse; 05-07-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Here’s some pictures, I made my own fuse, after un taping and looking it wasn’t bypassed like I had thought.. so the compressor kicks in and off like it should with the blower switch in the cab. It sucked down 2 cans of Freon like it should. But the lines coming out of the compressor are warm, drier in the back was warm. one of the cans of Freon were frosting as I put it in but that’s about it. It’s sucking down Freon. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7F73220A-C0B9-4CCF-A12E-DCCFE5C4125C_1557257697773.jpeg 6454E04A-2B6E-4CEC-B825-72453B696DF9_1557257733406.jpeg
    Last edited by Iron horse; 05-07-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If anything that compressors hot

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast