Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 2510 PTO issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

2510 PTO issues

Good Morning All-

I'm new to the forum so here it goes...We have a 1967 John Deere 2510 syncro range that we recently installed a rebuilt dual stage clutch in. The transmission clutch works fine but the PTO clutch won't go over-center into the engaged position without a considerable amount of force. When it is engaged it works though. It makes a loud popping noise when disengaging like there is something sticking in the clutch pack. We have looked at the linkage from the PTO lever down to the shift fork and nothing is binding up. The implement dealership that rebuilt the clutch had originally put the PTO disk in backwards. We didn't notice this until we had installed the rebuilt clutch and the PTO wouldn't work. After many frustrating hours of head scratching we were stumped. Luckily one of our old timer neighbors who spent much of his youth mechanic-ing on this vintage of tractors noticed the source of the problems. We returned it to the dealer who flipped the disk to its correct position. We re-installed the clutch and are now in our current predicament. Unfortunately the service manual states there is no way to adjust the PTO fingers or any of the linkage between the engagement lever and the shift fork on this model. We don't want to throw in the towel but are running out of ideas. Anybody have any words of wisdom? Any help is greatly appreciated! In We used the correct alignment tool.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,438 Posts
    I was going to suggest checking the adjustment on the PTO clutch fingers. I don't remember that they are not adjustable on a 2510. However, there are some younger guys with better memories than mine that will see your post and comment.

Hope you get it fixed. 2510's are great tractors.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT
    IIRC the pto fingers can't be adjusted individually from traction clutch fingers on 2510 SR pressure plate because there's only 3 adjustment bolts that hold PP assembly together. My guess is something in PP assembly isn't assembled correctly. I'll suggest to inspect plate(key 16) very closely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Annotation 2019-09-09 142832.png  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 09-09-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    DRobinson likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    We were leaning towards that assumption too especially since it was put together wrong the first time. Tough to tell what else could be boogered up in there. I have noticed there is a turnbuckle that allows adjustments in the linkage between the PTO lever and the shift forks on some of the similar tractor models of that vintage. Any thoughts about whether we could do a retro like this on our 2510 and get her back on her feet again? Just don't necessarily like running the risk of having something genuinely wrong with the clutch and have it really have a come apart if our retro goes south.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I think changing turnbuckle setting will not help the "popping sound" upon disengaging pto. IIRC the plate(key 16) has tangs that fit into flywheel. I could be wrong because a lot of water has run under the bridge since I served as a JD dealer service manager & I have no TM to study.
    DRobinson likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Tx Jim. There are some tangs in there I believe. I don't have the clutch in front of me so I'll have to verify but if there is some binding inside that could explain the popping noise. What are your thoughts about the dealership possibly having installed the wrong springs when they did the rebuild? The service order has the same JD spring part numbers as the service manual recommends but I don't know where else we would be running into that would cause so much resistance while trying to engage the PTO. Do you think this could be part of the problem with the PTO being so hard to engage or am I reaching for answers?

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I also think plate(key 25) has the same type tangs that are designed to fit in slots in flywheel which either or both could be binding in flywheel..

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Thanks
    A couple of things come to mind. First, since clutch was originally assembled incorrectly, I worry about possibility of clutch disc getting warped. Second,, was flywheel resurfaced and if so, were dimensions for step in flywheel maintained to factory specs? Third, was clutch rebuilt with original JD parts? I have seen some fitment issues with aftermarket or even A&I replacement parts for these older tractors. I always use original equipment parts unless no longer available. If any part numbers listed on your workorder start with "A-" that indicates an A&I part was used. From what I am seeing, original parts are still available.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and Tx Jim like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    A couple of things come to mind. First, since clutch was originally assembled incorrectly, I worry about possibility of clutch disc getting warped. Second,, was flywheel resurfaced and if so, were dimensions for step in flywheel maintained to factory specs? Third, was clutch rebuilt with original JD parts? I have seen some fitment issues with aftermarket or even A&I replacement parts for these older tractors. I always use original equipment parts unless no longer available. If any part numbers listed on your workorder start with "A-" that indicates an A&I part was used. From what I am seeing, original parts are still available.
    JD110 - I've been away from it for over 30 years. What does A&I stand for?
    Thanks,
    Don
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast