Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jd110

Thread: Brakes

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

Brakes

I have a 5303 tractor that the brakes are dragging. I have free play, and the brakes work, but it seems that there is a parking brake (which there is none) partially on. When I push in the clutch, tractor stops slowly, as the brakes are dragging. I recently changed the hydraulic fluid after cleaning the filter under the PTO. I used Super 303 fluid from tractor supply. John Deere service mgr told me that would cause the discs to swell and the retainers to drag. I drained the fluid again and replaced it with John Deere fluid, but has not improved issue. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also how to bleed the brakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the only fix is to pull the final drives and replace the swollen brake disks, replaced retractor pins, seals and reassemble. The retractor pins are self adjusting as brake disks wear, but they can't adjust the other way if disks get thicker. I have not heard of different brand oils swelling brakes although it is certainly possible. If oil gets contaminated with water, that definitely causes swelling. Once they are swelled, they will not shrink back in my experience.

You could possibly remove final drives and reset the retractor pins and then reassemble without replacing parts, but The parts are not that expensive and then you are sure you have a good repair. If retractors are reset it will keep brakes from dragging, but many times the adhesive holding brake linings to the disk is also compromised and will eventually fail anyway.
    DRobinson likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    Unfortunately the only fix is to pull the final drives and replace the swollen brake disks, replaced retractor pins, seals and reassemble. The retractor pins are self adjusting as brake disks wear, but they can't adjust the other way if disks get thicker. I have not heard of different brand oils swelling brakes although it is certainly possible. If oil gets contaminated with water, that definitely causes swelling. Once they are swelled, they will not shrink back in my experience.

You could possibly remove final drives and reset the retractor pins and then reassemble without replacing parts, but The parts are not that expensive and then you are sure you have a good repair. If retractors are reset it will keep brakes from dragging, but many times the adhesive holding brake linings to the disk is also compromised and will eventually fail anyway.
    I was afraid of the answer. John Deere wants $1600 to $2600 for the job. Sounds high to me. May have to live with it for a while until I can find a better quote.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    One would think JD engineers would come up with a solution for brake pull-off springs getting weak. This has been happening a long,long time

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements