e23 transmission

Thread: e23 transmission

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-17-2017 @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks

e23 transmission

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of tractors which I am finding fascinating.

I was wondering if anyone around had a John Deere with an e23 transmission. I work as an engineer in the transmission business, mainly for passenger vehicles and the other day I had the opportunity to drive a CASE tractor with a CVT transmission (don't know the model, sorry) and I started digging into how these transmissions work on tractors.

The question I have today is what happens when you are in Full Auto, select a start gear, let's say F13 but you set the target ground speed to something really small, like 0.5km/h. In theory, the tractor cannot drive at that speed in that gear unless the clutch slips so I am wondering if you get a warning or it just doesn't honour the target speed and the tractor just drives at the minimum speed for that gear. In the CASE, because the transmission is a CVT you don't have this problem so I am wondering how this is resolved in 'gear' transmissions.

I have many other questions but I thought I'd start with something easy

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have never tried this, but I am pretty sure the tractor would not allow you to choose the higher start gear for such a low set speed. It would not allow the clutch to slip to achieve the slow speed. The set speed will override the start gear setting and choose correct gear for speed.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-17-2017 @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, that's what I thought but the user manual is not very explicit and seems to suggest that the transmission will never automatically go below the configured start gear but at the same time, in another section, it says that "the transmission may shift gears with changes in set speed". Most confusing...

Do you own a JD with an e23?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Srge View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought but the user manual is not very explicit and seems to suggest that the transmission will never automatically go below the configured start gear but at the same time, in another section, it says that "the transmission may shift gears with changes in set speed". Most confusing...

Do you own a JD with an e23?
    Actually I am a technician at a JD dealer. We have not actually sold any e23 transmissions. In our area it seems everyone opts for the IVT transmissions in the 8R's and large 7R's. Smaller ones get PowerQuad or IVT.

I did have an opportunity to drive one at a demonstration when they were first introduced. It is basically a fancy powershift with the set speed features of an IVT or CVT. I appears to be a good choice, but the IVT has gone over so well it is hard to convert people that like it.
    Last edited by jd110; 01-08-2017 at 08:40 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements