• 4 Post By Kennyd
  • 5 Post By C-Range

Thread: Getting lots of use out of the Front Hoe Bucket

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks

Getting lots of use out of the Front Hoe Bucket

Transplanting young trees and shrubs are a 15-20 minute exercise. I'm working on increasing foliage density along the front of our property and my wife has decided some of her garden shrubs would do better in other places. I wouldn't normally dig up an established shrub, but this FHB causes so little disruption to the roots, it's easily doable.

1- Scoop out a hole with the FHB where the plant will going.
    2- Set the tip of the FHB on the ground at about a 45 deg down angle, about 8-12" back from the base of the plant.
    3- Drive forward slowly while applying down pressure on the loader so it plunges down as you move forward.
    4- Once at full depth, curl back and raise plant.
    5- Locate plant over new hole, more to the far side of hole.
    6- Lower and dump FHB, setting plant into hole. Adjust resting position as needed. Add soil as needed. Water daily for a couple of weeks to assist with adjustment.

I'm finding with the larger tractor with obscured view of the work area, it is helpful to have someone else out front to give guidance for the best interests of the plant.

I've also been using this little surgical bucket to create small swales/troughs where needed to better manage running rainwater where needed. Sorry, no pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170806_160311~2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	445.2 KB 
ID:	426786

Name:	20170807_152720.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	426794

Name:	20170807_152857.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	426802

Name:	20170807_152929.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	426810
    Chris - 3720 TLB

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post

I'm finding with the larger tractor with obscured view of the work area, it is helpful to have someone else out front to give guidance for the best interests of the plant...

I'm dealing with that too now Chris with the forks, much harder to see with this 3-series vs my old 4110. I have been contemplating adding a aftermarket backup camera system to the loader to help see better, there are many on the market to choose from but I have not done any serious research yet on them.
    Gizmo2, Marlin, joshn3448 and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I'm dealing with that too now Chris with the forks, much harder to see with this 3-series vs my old 4110. I have been contemplating adding a aftermarket backup camera system to the loader to help see better, there are many on the market to choose from but I have not done any serious research yet on them.
    I've looked into this too. I found the fastest and simplest camera system to install was the Wife brand. The only challenge is getting it to focus sometimes.

As for the visibility, I only have trouble with these narrow center mounted attachments. I can even still see this FHB, it just requires leaning far over. But it's tricky judging distances very well. From the seat you think you're 6" away from the plant, but you get out to look and realize your still 18" away.
    Gizmo2, jgayman, Grizzler and 2 others like this.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements