Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Switching from the Forks (or bucket) to Plowing in minutes

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Switching from the Forks (or bucket) to Plowing in minutes

Got our first storm delivered just when everyone was coming for Thanksgiving dinner. No problem. No reason for panic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	938.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	36023 Happened to have nothing on the loader, so just pulling up to the forks. Engine is cold (as am I) so taking it slow.

Name:	940.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	36025 Pick up the forks, get off, pop in the pins to lock the frame on the loader, hop back on. (Also cleaned up a couple of things in the area)

Name:	943.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	36027 Cleaned off the snow, drove around out back (slow-and-in-low to let everything get warmed up) to a shed to drop off the forks. (Also found a few more things to organize there)

Name:	944.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	36028 Hang 3 suitcase weights on the front of the tractor frame.

Name:	945.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	36029 Now meander over to another shed where the plow gets stored for the summer.

Name:	945-2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	36030 Grab the plow adapter, quick check over. Haven't looked at the thing in 6 months.

Name:	945-3.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	36031 Slide it onto the pallet fork frame and pin it in place.

Name:	946.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	36032 With the plow sitting on a roll cart, pull it over to the tractor and snap the Deere hitch onto the adapter plate.

Name:	947.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	36033 Connect up the two hydraulic hoses.

Name:	948.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	36034 Raise up the plow off of the roll cart to check for mistakes made while yawning.

Name:	948-2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	36035 Give the hydraulics a quick check

Name:	949.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	36036 And I'm off to the races.

Total of about 10 minutes in no particular rush, between 4 storage locations. If all in one place, it would have been half the time. Skip ahead about another 5-10 minutes after scraping up a few odd spots and here's the plow in business.

Job done 20-25 minutes. Head back in to make the gravy.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (11-30-2014), etcallhome (11-29-2014), Gizmo2 (11-29-2014), JimR (11-29-2014), sterling40man (11-29-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Thanks
    That is exactly the way I want the next storm to go for me. Is my order ready for pickup on Monday?

(just kidding! I can wait until Tuesday... )
    Gizmo2, rgd and sterling40man like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Thanks for posting this Chris! You've answered a bunch of questions I had - saved you a lot of your important time answering my emails.

I know I will have more questions but I'll be able to ask them here. Also JimR and others who have this setup will be able to help me.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention one other thing. I've seen/heard some opinions about a plow on the loader being "way out in front". I'm sure that is absolutely true when adapting pickup truck plows onto these relatively small tractors. Plus they probably weigh half as much as the tractor, which must be a nightmare.

Using this system, the cutting edge of the 54 Blade is only 9.5" farther out than the cutting edge of the 61" bucket. And, the entire plow/hitch setup is just about light enough to pick up by hand.

With the extension wings on the blade, there is simply nothing better for snow management for the 2000-and-under series machines.

Blowers are no good unless you feed them at least a few inches of snow so you really need the blade for the light storms. But changing them over is no fun when it's cold and wet outside. Just the blade wouldn't be bad with the extension wings added. But then you need to be able to move the built up drifts as the season progresses, which means switching over to the loader. That's quite a lot of work in the cold and wet.

Up to about a 24" storm, you get the best of both worlds and the work gets done in half the time with this system.
    rgd, Yamaguy and jdskycaster like this.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

trohrer (11-30-2014)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add this to the thread for anyone considering the plow adapter:

I got mine today (THANKS CHRIS!) at about 1:15pm. In just over an hour I had the JD Quick Attach + 54" plow setup off the tractor, put the loader back on and gotten the entire setup installed for the first time - including installing a rubber cutting edge on the blade (not part of the kit but I ordered it at the same time).

In fact, by that point I had taken it out into the driveway and tested it on a few snow piles and had everything put back away inside the garage again. 100% done and tested. Everything needed was in the box and the included instructions make the whole thing pretty much a no-brainer. They really couldn't be any clearer and I don't see how the process could be any easier.

Where is the "5 Stars" button around here?

Now I just have to wait for another snow storm to put it to the test...
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Artillian (12-03-2014)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    So Jim, you got the extension hose kit right? Any plans on adding the diverter?
    Artillian likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did go with the extension hoses. I don't have any current use for a diverter so I just couldn't justify the additional $$ for it at this point. If I ever get crazy and decide I need grapple I'll add one then.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

13. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Where is the "5 Stars" button around here?
    While you can't rate products per se, you can rate the thread with five stars. Look just above the header for the first post. You'll see a "rate this thread" button.
    Kennyd likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Artillian (12-03-2014), coaltrain (12-03-2014), Kennyd (12-03-2014), Levi (12-04-2014)

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I did go with the extension hoses. I don't have any current use for a diverter so I just couldn't justify the additional $$ for it at this point. If I ever get crazy and decide I need grapple I'll add one then.
    Thanks for the mention, Mr Jim. As I've said to many, if there is no plan for other hydraulic attachments up front, the extension hoses are just fine. They are simpler rather than having to coordinate pressing the diverter button with moving the joystick. With the extension hoses, you just move the stick to angle the plow without having to think about it.

I hope you manage to get some pics to share! But if not, I'll understand. Believe me...
    Gizmo2, Levi and JimR like this.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Chris! Kenny asked about the diverter about 3 hours ago and I've been sitting here wondering if there is something that I didn't consider and maybe I really do have a need for one! He's kinda the hydraulics guru around here and I respect his knowledge of all things hydro so if he asks a question, I start second guessing myself (ok, more so than I usually do!).

Of course, I'm also starting to wonder of all of you vendors are just in cahoots and set this site up just to empty my wallet too! I get a little paranoid like that!
    Kennyd, Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast