Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Artillian Grapple not working

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-30-2019 @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks

Artillian Grapple not working

Another weekend and another issue. Hooked up the grapple and no go. Looked into the power outlet as the culprit and it was in rough shape and full of corrosion etc. Ordered a new one online the other day, came in and tried it and still grapple is a no go. Used multi tester on the power outlet which was good. All fuses good. Tested the line from power outlet to the connections towards the grapple diverter and found a break in the line just after the pressure switch connection. Fixed that and still no go. Not sure where I go from here. Is it the diverter or the power or both?? Not sure if anyones had the same issue.Not sure how to test the plug in connections or from the pressure switch forward to test the continuity or power or both.... The grapple is three years old at least maybe four. AS always, thanks in advance....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Can you test the power connection on the diverter to see if it's getting 12V?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    THIS, while someone is pressing the switch of course. Unplug one of the connectors on the the black coil and test there.
    jgayman likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    THIS, while someone is pressing the switch of course. Unplug one of the connectors on the the black coil and test there.
    I'm not sure what the power connector looks like but it might also be possible to take two test leads and make a connection directly to the battery - eliminating all the existing wiring and switch. You should hear a clunk from the diverter solenoid.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-30-2019 @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Ok stupid question coming but how would i do that. I generally only have used the multimeter to check for power etc.. nothing to technical. So im in need of a little guidance.....

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawandorder View Post
    Ok stupid question coming but how would i do that. I generally only have used the multimeter to check for power etc.. nothing to technical. So im in need of a little guidance.....
    I'm not sure which DVM you have but set it for DC-Volts. Auto range is ok or else set it to the 20V scale (or similar). Stick one test lead into each connector at the solenoid and activate the joystick button. You should get a reading of 12 volts at the connector. Don't worry about polarity as a 12V reading of any kind will mean the solenoid connector is getting power.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    This is what the connector looks like when you remove it from the coils. Test across the two metal pins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6387.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	620978

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6388.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	620986
    Veblen, Bumper and GWT3046r like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    Can you hear the button clicking when you press it? If not then that's an area of concern worth exploring.

I had a similar problem when I had the grapple rigged up on 2210. The button stopped working for some reason. I had Artillian send me out a new one and it all worked fine.

For the electrical start at the 12v power source and go to each connection and make sure you are getting 12v in/out. My guess is it will be the switch, they do wear out. It's not a very robust switch so I imagine with a 3-4 year old grapple with heavy use would put some good wear on the contacts on the inside of that button.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    I wonder if the valve is frozen? how long has it been since you used it last?
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    One other issue I have had with my artillian grapple is the cylinder for the jaw went bad on me. It happened after I transitioned the grapple to my 3025E and went to a WR Long 3rd function valve. The cylinder would work once upon start up and then it wouldn't move. After tearing apart my 3rd function valve on a brand new tractor (the grapple couldn't be bad, it was just working!), doing pressure checks etc I came to the conclusion it was the cylinder as I had plenty of PSI getting to the cylinder from the valve but the cylinder was not extending/retracting. Granger carries the exact same one for like $130 or you can get a rebuild kit from them as well if you like playing with hydraulic cylinders. I was in a hurry and a bad mood so I just bought the cylinder and was done with it. So....if you have 12v of electricity everywhere then I would switch to trouble shooting the hydraulics. Get a pressure gauge and see how much PSI is getting to the cylinder. That will tell if the diverter valve is good or not. If you get pressure to the cylinder then the cylinder is bad.

I bought my grapple in December of 2015 and it has well over 100hrs of use on it so maybe similar in age and condition that yours is in.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast