• 1 Post By Bubber
  • 1 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Digging with the grapple

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Digging with the grapple

We recently got a local fellow set up with a grapple got his 1025r. He later called up and told me a story that got me thinking. It seems he was using one of the modules on the fork frame to dig up a small tree. No big news there. But he got so focused on the task that he forgot about a drain pipe that was passing through the area. Needless to say, during one of the plunges into the soil, up came this big pipe out of the ground. Yikes!

That story made me stop and think, what if those were electrical wires or a gas pipe?

As a result, we've just started adding a new warning label. For those who already have these products, please keep this in mind or get on touch and we'll send you some of these decals to add on.

Furthermore, this situation made me think a little further. It's surprising that manufacturers don't mention this potential hazard on things like backhoes, at least that I can recall. Maybe it is just considered to be common sense....? Famous last words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160415_101330630.jpg  
    Last edited by Artillian; 04-19-2016 at 06:22 AM.
    Gizmo2, Heavy Hitch, 5304 and 6 others like this.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

johnH123 (04-26-2016), rtgt (04-19-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Thoughtful gesture

Quote Originally Posted by Artillian View Post
    We recently got a local fellow set up with a grapple got his 1025r. He later called up and told me a story that got me thinking. It seems he was using one of the modules on the fork frame to dig up a small tree. No big news there. But he got so focused on the task that he forgot about a drain pipe that was passing through the area. Needless to say, during one of the plunges into the soil, up came this big pipe out of the ground. Yikes!

That story made me stop and think, what if those were electrical wires or a gas pipe?

As a result, we've just started adding a new warning label. For those who already have these products, please keep this in mind or get on touch and we'll send you some of these decals to add on.

Furthermore, this situation made me think a little further. It's surprising that manufacturers don't mention this potential hazard on things like backhoes, at least that I can recall. Maybe it is just considered to be common sense....? Famous last words.
    That's a very thoughtful gesture and hopefully one that will keep somebody out of trouble. Unfortunately, I doubt any warning label is read after the first time and we all think we know it all, until the s- - - hits the fan. You are doing what you can but this stuff has some inherent dangers. Somebody in the thread on PTOs made a great point. When we are rested, not rushed and thinking straight being safe is not too hard. It's when we are tired, a little dehydrated and in a rush to finish that's when stupid jumps up and bites us. That's where things like checklists, great habits and always doing it the right way can save us. If you always call Miss Utility before digging, you probably won't dig up that underground line with 4,000 volts. You might still hit the 220 going to the garage but not the high voltage one. If you never get off the tractor with the PTO turning, you won't get wrapped up in it. I meet with lots of farmers and farmer's widows that made just one error. Missing fingers, arms and lives are the result.

I'm just as guilty as anyone else as I tractor part time. I'll rush to the farm full of thoughts of what I want/need to get done and jump on a piece of equipment. I need to do a walk around, check the fluids etc. to get my mind off of my paying job and onto how I should run the equipment safely. Maybe I should add reading the stickers again to the list. Wouldn't take long and might be a good reminder to drill it into my thick skull.

Treefarmer
    5304, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

Artillian (04-26-2016), rtgt (04-19-2016)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks
    If I am unfamiliar with an area, I make them call Mrs. Utility first. My step son wanted 14 post holes in the ground to install a fence around his house. I told him to call them. Good thing, right where he wanted a corner post was the main gas line coming into the house. We dug that one by hand away from the pipe.
    Zebrafive, 5304, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

Artillian (04-26-2016)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    You should always call before digging.

Call811

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	167161
    Gizmo2, Heavy Hitch, 5304 and 6 others like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

Artillian (04-26-2016), BillieS (04-19-2016), Kennyd (04-19-2016)

11. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 798 Posts

I was on a jobsite (elementary school) working in a boiler room. A contractor was digging up an old fuel tank.

From the paint on the ground it appeared that the utilities had been marked.

All of a sudden I got a strong smell of gas...... Looked outside and the backhoe operator was looking down into the hole.... he had hit the gas main to the school.

I told the tech working with me to get to the principals office and evacuate the school without pulling the fire alarm while I shutdown the main feeding the school.

Even when the utilities are marked, stuff happens!

I've had our place marked three times now. I have taken pictures and measurements each time to have as a reference, but before I dig around the house, I still call.
    Gizmo2, 56FordGuy, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

Artillian (04-26-2016), Zebrafive (04-26-2016)

13. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks

Need another decal

Call 1-800 your-self, Dummy

I was using the grapple doing property work and removing some small saplings. Yup, pulled up the drain pine for the laundry to the dry well. $11 for splicing material and 1/2 hour later back in business.

Then just to complete the weekend I was removing an old loose rock retaining wall and up pops a drain from one of the rain gutter down spouts. This will be redone later.

The sad part is I was the one who installed both pipes back 35 years ago. I do however know exactly where all utilities are and stay away from them.

Steve
    Last edited by Deere Ol Man; 04-26-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Marlin and 2 others like this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deere Ol Man For This Useful Post:

Artillian (04-26-2016)

15. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Ol Man View Post
    Call 1-800 your-self, Dummy

I was using the grapple doing property work and removing some small saplings. Yup, pulled up the drain pine for the laundry to the dry well. $11 for splicing material and 1/2 hour later back in business.

Then just to complete the weekend I was removing an old loose rock retaining wall and up pops a drain from one of the rain gutter down spouts. This will be redone later.

The sad part is I was the one who installed both pipes back 35 years ago. I do however know exactly where all utilities are and stay away from them.

Steve
    Thanks again for sharing your story, Steve. It just might save someone's life someday!
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    Try to make an effort to at least have a general idea of where your utilities are. If I'm not home when the 811 guys come, they mark our gas line on the wrong side of the driveway.
    rtgt likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    My JD loaders have warning stickers about overhead wires, but not digging. Number 6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 640decals.jpg  
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

18. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Stuff happens

If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend who was an excavation contractor among other things. He told two stories on himself. He was pretty careful about getting utilities marked because it was so danged expensive if you didn't. So, anyway he always got them marked.

One time he was digging with either a backhoe or track excavator and up comes a section of fiber optic cable. No ground marks, not upright marks no nothing showing it was there. It turns out that fiber optic doesn't just break where you hit it. The stress took it out for about a quarter mile each way. Oops, it wasn't his fault. Miss Utility said it wasn't there.

The second time he hit an underground high voltage line. Again, no marks and nothing to indicate it was there. The arc coming off the bucket was the first indication there was a problem. All he could do was sit in the cab until the power company shut it off as he only nicked the cable and didn't break it. He didn't want to fully cut it but a full repair was necessary anyway due to the arc.

Sadly after many years of working in all conditions and on all kinds of heavy machinery he was killed when a tree fell on his excavator. A totally freak gust of wind blew the tree while he was moving the excavator and it crushed the cab. Calm before, calm after - just one heavy gust of wind and he was gone.

Treefarmer
    rtgt likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements