• 2 Post By 69project
  • 2 Post By Artillian

Thread: Double Grapple

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Double Grapple

I'll be enlisting the grapple soon for a landscaping project as well as to clean up some fallen trees from the winter. I wasn't planning on doing any work yet, but wanted to check my install so I went out to poke around with it a bit. In about 15 mins, I "accidentally" cleared away several of the 6" by 20' trees fallen across some paths, pulled down one that was alive but leaning, then dug up its root ball and pushed that out of the way, broke some of the full length 6" trees in half by pressing them against other trees, and then (finally thought of taking photos), scoured some untamed ground down to clean soil. The ground was leaf covered, peppered with various sized rocks above and below grade, and occupied by dense growth. I just angled the tine tips down a few inches below grade, dropped the loader, stepped on the diff lock, and tortured through it. Once the grapple bed fills up, you just clamp down, lift up, and start a spoil pile. It's a lot like having a backhoe on the front of the tractor.

The double grapple does a really great job of holding onto loose materials like leaves. It also makes grabbing big round stones a breeze. It was also a little better at handling the fallen trees more confidently.

The landscaping project will consist of cutting some flat terraces into a hillside. I'll scarify the existing grass with the grapple, then slice it up with the bucket to separate it from the topsoil, which will be reused later.

The grapple will also be used for creating a stone retaining wall/garden once the land is flat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160514_161141196-1024x576.jpg   IMG_20160514_161155224-1024x576.jpg   IMG_20160514_161201986-1024x576.jpg   IMG_20160514_161047973-1024x576.jpg  
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Hey Chris,

Get with it and finish the project. I'm putting myself first in line for the "Double Grapple Demo Unit."

Thanks!

Frank
    Gizmo2, Artillian and Levi like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Hey Chris,

Get with it and finish the project. I'm putting myself first in line for the "Double Grapple Demo Unit."

Thanks!

Frank
    This old setup consists of two grapples and three rakes to mix and match. After this setup was made and tested out, the design of the tips was changed, and is much better in many ways. This one will likely never change ownership, but I've offered a few local forks owners to borrow it for trying, though they would need a third function.
    Levi likes this.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    I have discovered my grapple really clears up the forest floor like you showed in your pictures. I have a 3 rake, 1 grapple set up. I can see where a second grapple can come in handy but since I use this on a 2210 I do not think it is worth the extra weight for my situation. I have also moved a lot of logs with it, which my kids get the pleasure of splitting by hand when I cut it up in the firewood lengths

This has been a great tool for my land, probably the best attachment I have bought yet. I rarely use my bucket any more.
    Kennyd and Artillian like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Artillian (05-20-2016)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Yes, for the majority of applications, a single grapple / twin rake setup is adequate, sometimes preferable. The double does provide twice the crushing/clamping capability, which brings the kind of laughter where you're not quite sure if it's pleasure or nervousness.

Last year we had a remnant concrete/rebar stairway around the shop, broken into slabs about 12-14" thick, 4+ft wide, about 2'deep. The double grapple snatched and picked that thing up like a Reuben sandwich. And that was before the Fangs existed. Now, the clamping potential is about double with them.
    Gizmo2 and jdmich like this.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements