Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: newbie grapple questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks

newbie grapple questions

How do those 'keeper' pins work with the grapple, it wasn't obvious to me but maybe I was just tired :P

The instructions stop just short of being complete, I know there is a certain expectation of 'some level of experience required' but as a complete newb (tractors, hydraulics), I wish there was just one more page in the instructions. Specifically the assembly of the grapple itself (hoses to hydraulics), what the bungee is for (Recommended position), and power recommendations. I have it all working now (5 hours for the install) but it would be a bit quicker with just a few more steps to the instructions.

All in all, a great kit, very complete, and the grapple is awesome. Already used it to move a bunch of logs, some large landscaping rocks, and surprisingly a pile of mulch which I thought would fall apart but it didn't.
    Levi and johnH123 like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have the grapple, but I do have Artillian's "Front Hoe" and it uses the "keeper pins". It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but once I did, they make perfect sense.

Bascially, you slide the keeper into the hole and then turn it 90 degrees so the "tab" is downward. That will keep the pin from coming back out. And the "keeper" keeps the grapple section from sliding.

Don't overthink it (like I did for a while)... There's only one way it will go it.

Hopefully this helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to take a video tomorrow and either post it here (I've never posted a video here and don't have a YouTube account) or I'll send it to you via email if you PM me your email address.

Good luck and ENJOY your grapple! Artillian makes good stuff!
    Levi and JeepTherapy like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Artillian(09-21-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I don't have the grapple, but I do have Artillian's "Front Hoe" and it uses the "keeper pins". It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but once I did, they make perfect sense.

Bascially, you slide the keeper into the hole and then turn it 90 degrees so the "tab" is downward. That will keep the pin from coming back out. And the "keeper" keeps the grapple section from sliding.

Don't overthink it (like I did for a while)... There's only one way it will go it.

Hopefully this helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to take a video tomorrow and either post it here (I've never posted a video here and don't have a YouTube account) or I'll send it to you via email if you PM me your email address.

I agree, don't over think it. I know why Artillian has them but that is the one piece of the whole grapple set up I do not care for. It is a fairly simple idea and surprisingly enough it works fairly well but I have broken one of them. It hasn't hurt anything and I haven't checked into a replacement yet. It's just one of those things.

As far as the bungee cord, you put it around the hoses to keep them out of the way or from hanging down. If they hang down there is a high chance they will snag on something and cause you a lot of issues with hydraulic fluid spraying all over the place. I have had my hose snag a couple of times on branches etc. Not a good feeling but those hoses are pretty tough.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Artillian(09-21-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Ok, that makes sense. I was trying to tie the concept of what you just described with Chris's (Artillians) comment that you should just pick up the grapple using the fork frame. I would like to see a video of that operation (from Artillian), including how to get the pins in the right place, etc..

The grapples are a nice tool, I have a few more ideas of how I can use them next weekend. I also have the front hoe but it is still zip-tied to the pallet as I haven't had time to play with it yet.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's the Artillian video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-n1...ature=youtu.be

Have fun!!
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Artillian(09-21-2016), Kennyd(08-29-2016)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's the Artillian video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-n1...ature=youtu.be

Have fun!!
    DOH!

Not sure how I missed that...
    Levi and mark02tj like this.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Don't beat yourself up too bad! I'm not even sure there's a link to it on Artillian's site. Artillian Chris mentioned the video one day and I emailed him and asked him for a link. So the link I posted came from my email.

So, it was through great personal effort and hardship that I searched and searched in order to provide you with the necessary video instruction to facilitate the most efficient use of your Artillian purchase. But nothing is too much effort for my GTT brothers.

Just kidding about the "great personal effort". It was about 15 seconds to click on the "Sort by Sender" in Outlook and find the emails from Artillian Chris. But even if it was 30 seconds, I still would have done it!
    Gizmo2, Artillian, pappa and 2 others like this.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hah! your 15 seconds of sweat equity is much appreciated. I put the grapple away for the week as it is too tempting to go back out and goof around with it when I have real work to do. If only there were Artillian tools for Excel spreadsheets....
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks

If you are

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Hah! your 15 seconds of sweat equity is much appreciated. I put the grapple away for the week as it is too tempting to go back out and goof around with it when I have real work to do. If only there were Artillian tools for Excel spreadsheets....
    a real "earthling" and married you wouldn't dare say seat time on a tractor is not "real work!"

We real earthlings all know that seat time on a tractor is hard but pleasurable work. But we keep the Pleasurable part on the hush-hush with the spouse unit.

Get the idea now?

Steve

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Ol Man View Post
    a real "earthling" and married you wouldn't dare say seat time on a tractor is not "real work!"

We real earthlings all know that seat time on a tractor is hard but pleasurable work. But we keep the Pleasurable part on the hush-hush with the spouse unit.

Get the idea now?

Steve
    I fully understand !

I should have said 'job' not 'work'. My wife is amazed at the all the 'work' that has been done around the yard so far. She took one look at the grapple and said ' what the hell did you buy now ', I just drove away into the woods and came back with a large landscaping rock, she said 'ohh, that is pretty cool, please put it over here' and the grapple is now part of the family

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast