• 1 Post By 69project
  • 4 Post By 69project

Thread: Issues with Momentary Switch on Diverter Valve

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks

Issues with Momentary Switch on Diverter Valve

Anyone have an issue with their momentary switch on their diverter valve for their grapple?

I get 12v to my switch but nothing past that and I can't hear the valve solenoid click when I hit the switch, so I have a problem.

I have an email into Chris but I thought I would ask the smart guys on the GTT forum if they have ever experienced this before.

My scenario: I was moving a log in my woods yesterday when the wires going to the valve snagged on a bush and came apart at splice I had put in to shorten up the wire length on my 2210. I didn't notice it until I was ready to release the log I was moving and the grapple refused to let go. No big deal. I re-wired it but the momentary switch still didn't work. So I got out the multi-meter and I have 12v going from the hot wire I spliced into and it goes into the harness where it goes up to the switch. I try and check for voltage down stream of the switch and I can't get anything to register. So that tells me the potential problem could be in the switch? Am I wrong here? It is a sealed unit so you can't do any troubleshooting to it from what I can tell.

Anyone know where I can source a switch? My internet searches have not turned up anything yet that looks like the Artillian switch and I see Artillian doesn't appear to offer spare/repair parts for this part of the grapple. I am sure it is not supposed to fail but I can break anything.

I am hoping this is an easy fix or just some random act of dumbness on my part because I really need to use my grapple right now. It is amazing how a tool becomes almost indispensable after a while. I have put just over 100 hours on my tractor in the past year and I bet about 85 of it is using the grapple. It is just a handy thing to have.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Artillian (11-01-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Email Artillian

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Anyone have an issue with their momentary switch on their diverter valve for their grapple?

I get 12v to my switch but nothing past that and I can't hear the valve solenoid click when I hit the switch, so I have a problem.

I have an email into Chris but I thought I would ask the smart guys on the GTT forum if they have ever experienced this before.

My scenario: I was moving a log in my woods yesterday when the wires going to the valve snagged on a bush and came apart at splice I had put in to shorten up the wire length on my 2210. I didn't notice it until I was ready to release the log I was moving and the grapple refused to let go. No big deal. I re-wired it but the momentary switch still didn't work. So I got out the multi-meter and I have 12v going from the hot wire I spliced into and it goes into the harness where it goes up to the switch. I try and check for voltage down stream of the switch and I can't get anything to register. So that tells me the potential problem could be in the switch? Am I wrong here? It is a sealed unit so you can't do any troubleshooting to it from what I can tell.

Anyone know where I can source a switch? My internet searches have not turned up anything yet that looks like the Artillian switch and I see Artillian doesn't appear to offer spare/repair parts for this part of the grapple. I am sure it is not supposed to fail but I can break anything.

I am hoping this is an easy fix or just some random act of dumbness on my part because I really need to use my grapple right now. It is amazing how a tool becomes almost indispensable after a while. I have put just over 100 hours on my tractor in the past year and I bet about 85 of it is using the grapple. It is just a handy thing to have.
    It's certainly in the switch or the wire going to/from the switch. I would use a sharp probe and see if I could find a break in the wire with an ohm meter. If it's in the wire and you have room, just cut out that section of wire and splice a new one in. If it's the switch, email Artillian. They might not list the switch but their customer service is outstanding and I'm sure they will get you going again one way or another. For a temporary repair, any momentary 12v switch would work. Your local parts store probably has something until you can get the right switch.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

Artillian (11-01-2016)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Replacement parts are available and stocked, must be ordered offline at this time as they are rarely needed.
    Levi and 69project like this.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    It's certainly in the switch or the wire going to/from the switch. I would use a sharp probe and see if I could find a break in the wire with an ohm meter. If it's in the wire and you have room, just cut out that section of wire and splice a new one in. If it's the switch, email Artillian. They might not list the switch but their customer service is outstanding and I'm sure they will get you going again one way or another. For a temporary repair, any momentary 12v switch would work. Your local parts store probably has something until you can get the right switch.

Treefarmer
    Guess I need to break out the old light probe. I have one somewhere in my tool box but have never used it. Not quite sure how it ended up in my tool box but you know how that goes. Thanks for the response. Probably can't get to until tomorrow at the earliest but more likely this weekend.

Chris contacted me and he does carry the parts in stock so I am good to hook there. Hopefully it is just a broken wire in the casing.
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    So just to close the thread out.

I was able to confirm it was the momentary switch that died the harness was fine and wasn't cut or anything, which is unfortunate because that would have been a much quicker and cheaper repair! When I compared it to the new one, the new one makes a click, my old one does not so that and along with my multi-meter confirming the lack of voltage confirmed it for me. Strange deal but just goes to show anything can happen.

Chris does stock repair parts and promptly sent out a new harness. Quick shipping and a decent price were welcomed!

I replaced the questionable harness today and everything appears to be in working order. I had to leave my grapple at my property so the real test will come on Monday but I could hear the diverter valve engage and when I held the switch it would not let me operate the FEL curl/dump so that tells me everything is working as advertised.

I can't wait to get back to work with it.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements